Is Stihl strato charged MS362 almost as good as plain MS361?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I handled a 362 today and then picked up a 361 next to it. The 361 felt better in my hands and we all know they have a great track record with reliability. My main stihl dealer hasn't done anything to a 361 besides basic maintenance. The 362 felt almost like a 70cc saw. Look/feel the saws yourself and pick the one you feel suits you better personally. The performance is close in every aspect and they will both get the job done.

When it comes to which category/size saws you should have, this site doesn't offer much help, it is usually biased opinionated BS. The site is helpful when the buyer explains his price, intended use for the saw and his surrounding dealers. Then good advice is usually offered.

With that said, I like the idea of 50cc saws, but I never use mine. When cutting firewood or doing tree work, I like a 18" or 20" bar and chain. 50cc saws can pull a 18" fine, but a 60cc saw does it with authority. 70cc saws make a nice match for 20" bars and they don't get too heavy. Recently, when I have been heading to the woods, the 262, 361, 044, 372, 7901 have been doing the job and doing it well.

WOW!!! Thanks so much for all the detailed comments and many good suggestions on these two saws. Every time I re-read the thread, I find a little more information that I missed the first time. No one seems to stock the ultra oil, so doubt that I can get it locally.

I placed the order with the dealer for the MS362-20 with case and extra chain. Maybe I will get it this week.

Now off to the manual begging thread to try to find a copy of the owner's manual and see what is involved in finding someone who might part with an electronic copy of the workshop manual. Guess both will be more difficult since the saw has only been out for a few months in the US.

WOW!!! Thanks so much for all the detailed comments and many good suggestions on these two saws. Every time I re-read the thread, I find a little more information that I missed the first time. No one seems to stock the ultra oil, so doubt that I can get it locally.

I placed the order with the dealer for the MS362-20 with case and extra chain. Maybe I will get it this week.

Now off to the manual begging thread to try to find a copy of the owner's manual and see what is involved in finding someone who might part with an electronic copy of the workshop manual. Guess both will be more difficult since the saw has only been out for a few months in the US.

You can find the OM on Stihls web-site, but not the WS manual or IPL.

Brad has a point about a two saw plan. 70cc and 50cc. But I will have to add this IMO.

Allot of cc size and plan has to do with the size and capabilities of the handler.

For me a perfect plan is a 90cc and a 70cc simply because I fell the tree with the 90cc and if I'm not careful finish limbing with the same saw. Weight don't matter as much to me as power.

But I also am a hobbyist with this sport. I don't do this work every day for a living. Being a powerlifter and bodybuilder lends itself to the speed and power, weight not a concern.

As age creeps in though I am already embracing Brad's plan in time. And the suggestions from AS gives me good advice to follow.

WEN, welcome, but the fun has just started. Once you get used to your new saw you will constantly be thinking about what a larger saw will feel like.

Just like women, no one stops with their first one that I know......

:cheers:

Once you get used to your new saw you will constantly be thinking about what a larger saw will feel like.

Just like women, no one stops with their first one that I know......

:cheers:

What part of that first statement is related to the women???

???Was it the "you will constantly be thinking about what a larger saw will feel like."

I personally, have never wondered what a bigger woman might feel like, LOL, saws yes, women no.

Sam

???Was it the "you will constantly be thinking about what a larger saw will feel like."

I personally, have never wondered what a bigger woman might feel like, LOL, saws yes, women no.

Sam

I guess it just depends on what parts are larger:)

You can find the OM on Stihls web-site, but not the WS manual or IPL.

I couldn't find any manuals for the MS362 on the Stihl Website.

I wonder if posting in the "Manual Begging Thread" will do any good if the Workshop Manual is so difficult to come by a copy and the Operations Manual is not yet posted on their Website (or maybe I just don't know where to look).

Sam

From my experience you don't want to know.

You're going to love the saw, you made the right choice. I feel the biggest improvement on the 362 is the air filtration.

All of the U.S. 362 and 361's are made in VA. It seems like the late model 361's have stihl made pistons and cylinders. My 362, and the older 361's have Mahle top ends.

After considerable reading here, I was ready to buy Stihl MS361 only to find out that they have now been replaced with strato charged green version (MS362). I really enjoyed the thread Brad did on moding the 362, although I don't plan to mod the saw. I would like for it to have good overall reliability, start reliably, have good vibration damping, and not have a catalytic converter muffler. I live in a rural area, and the nearest town or dealer is nearly 30 miles away, so interested in finding a good workshop manual.

I have also read that there is a MS361CQ version with a brake option that may still have a few available from distribution. Is this Q brake option a good one to have or just more things to go wrong?

Yes, I like the idea of a low pollution saw IF it will be a reliable saw and I guess the payback on better gas consumption would soon pay for the extra $50 or so over the standard MS361 if it were still available.

I saw an earlier survey back in Sept that preferred the 361 over the 362 by approx 50:22 before the MS362 was available. Is that still the experienced sentiment here or is the risk lower now that the saw has been in use for a few months? Can the strato saws be as good as the saws they replace? I don't like being a guinea pig for new designs, but this one seems similar to the MS441 design.

Guess the current choice is between the MS361CQ or MS362 (or keep hunting for a new MS361). Planning to order with 18 or 20 inch bar for primarily cutting dead and down hardwood (Oak) on 75 acres for heating. All comments or suggestions appreciated as all work will be done with a single saw.

Let the other bozos be guinea pigs for the 362 and buy a 361. I learned this lesson the hard way. Don't mess with proven technology. The strato saws will get there, but they aint there yet. - Sam

You're going to love the saw, you made the right choice. I feel the biggest improvement on the 362 is the air filtration.

All of the U.S. 362 and 361's are made in VA. It seems like the late model 361's have stihl made pistons and cylinders. My 362, and the older 361's have Mahle top ends.

Andy is that a typo or are the new 362's wearing mahale jugs?:confused:

No typo my 362 has a Mahle P&C.

And it having one might explain the appearance of the "house of Chin" jugs on some late production 361's, as Mahle would have to change over tooling during the last Minuite panic grab for the 361's.

"Boss, were screwed. We have orders for 10,546 361 jugs due to some wierdo's claiming the things cure cancer and we already told Mahle to shut down and change over to the Al Gore model."

"Got it covered, Chin down in Lacucheracha started production for the south American market last month for any overlap. Nobody but an anal retentive saw freak will notice the egg foo yung lookin ports and bikini wax on the things."

"Oh...Kewl!"

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

And it having one might explain the appearance of the "house of Chin" jugs on some late production 361's, as Mahle would have to change over tooling during the last Minuite panic grab for the 361's.

"Boss, were screwed. We have orders for 10,546 361 jugs due to some wierdo's claiming the things cure cancer and we already told Mahle to shut down and change over to the Al Gore model."

"Got it covered, Chin down in Lacucheracha started production for the south American market last month for any overlap. Nobody but an anal retentive saw freak will notice the egg foo yung lookin ports and bikini wax on the things."

"Oh...Kewl!"

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

:jester::ices_rofl:

Back