Is the REDBACK 120 VOLT- cordless considered the best/most powerful chainsaw ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetgumsux

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Been researching a purchase for a battery operated chainsaw . Was gonna buy the Oregon CS300 with 4 AH battery pack and purchase 2 additional batteries , which woulda came in over $400 . I then saw the Redback 120 volt for $299 and the reviews on it are great. Noticed it only comes with 2 AH battery and the upgraded battery pack is 3 AH max. Every place is out of them right now, and they are on backorder , due in sometime next week at some online stores.

I read the review by Phil on this forum , and he seemed to be impressed. Seems as though this saw goes on sale for $269 sometimes .

I dont think this saw has been out very long, so its longevity may be of concern.

Has anyone that owns this saw, tried to cut hickory or sweet gum and if so, how did it do with 8"- 16 " rounds . I assume it can cut oak and ash fairly well along with most softwoods.

It has a really slow chainspeed, otherwise works ok.
Certainly not a gas saw replacement.

Battery lasts a while in warm temps. Goes dead quick when cold though.

Ty for reply. I was wondering how the Oregon CS300 - 40 volt would perform , if the 16 " bar was replaced with a 14" bar . Does anyone know if this can be done on the CS300 ? I would imagine it would make it cut faster with a higher chain speed then the 16 inch stock bar and be more efficient with the 14 " bar . I think the stock 16 inch bar is around 2700 rpm , so with a 14" bar, it may be close to 3000 rpm, and cut wood noticeable faster while not putting extra strain on the 4 AH battery pack.

The slow chain speed on the redback is a big drawback for me.

one thing to remember their is a huge difference in capacity between a 40 volt 4Ah and a 120 volt 2 Ah battery. that 120 volt one should last just as long if not more. Its not linear due to peurkets law (originally for lead acid batteries but applicable to all types) but it should be a decent amount.

Back