What is/are the most-powerful top-handle Lith-Ion saws on market right now/soon?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eye.heart.trees

arborjunky
Reaction score
I use 2 saws, 25cc/12" mostly but a 32cc/16" when needed. I know the Lith saws can already beat my 25cc but I like it and even if it died would re-buy it since it's so cheap....but my 32cc, can't imagine I'll have that next year/end of year-- is there any Lith top-handle that can push a 16" properly yet? How about a 14"?

Lol I remember when I got my first lith kit (Ryobi stuff, 18V nominal), I put a 4" chainsaw disc on my angle-grinder and, w/ fresh-battery, approached a bonsai's deadwood....I must've spent <10sec with it before being sure it was going back to the store, the 18V power-pack wasn't remotely sufficient (for the hell of it I put a cut-off wheel on the grinder next and swapped the battery - all my batteries are solid - it found to go through a 1" steel tube I mean *fought*, didn't even finish the cut) But when I saw 40(36) volt units, when I saw @Reg Coates using the Husq unit often enough I was psyched, thought "we're there!"

I've since seen ads for 60(54) volt units...like with vehicles(Tesla), it'll be simple enough to put far more power to the transmission/clutch than could reasonably be desired and things become about smoothness/precision/etc and about weight (I've no doubt that in <10yrs there'll be a Lith saw that runs circles on a 200t and is also lighter), could design truly dangerously-powerful saws things that wouldn't be practical/safe to make, am just uncertain how far-along that is and would love any info on current and especially short-term near-future in this regard, will be awesome if I could figure that when my 32cc/16" dies I could move that 16" over to a lith unit w/o taking a power/torque loss (nevermind all the other benefits of lith over petrol!)

is there any Lith top-handle that can push a 16" properly yet? How about a 14"?
The push properly probably not. If pushed the more advanced (brushless direct drive) seem to pop a circuit breaker.

I am not sure if they have got more powerful lately, Husqvarna seems to be using a mini 0.325 chain on their new release and Stihl seems to like their mini 1/4 inch pitch stuff.

The push properly probably not. If pushed the more advanced (brushless direct drive) seem to pop a circuit breaker.

I am not sure if they have got more powerful lately, Husqvarna seems to be using a mini 0.325 chain on their new release and Stihl seems to like their mini 1/4 inch pitch stuff.
Would LOVE hearing new replies to this, 1yr+ later!!

My petrol blower went, I decided "don't go gas, get lithium with 'starter kit' so you can start building batteries, SOON ENOUGH it'll make sense to have polesaw, blower & small-climbsaw all on lithium"

So when looking for a blower right now, it's with that ^ in-mind, anyway I found my fave (Echo), with the promise of 50-56V units, now has endless complaints on quality for the 56V stuff they've released, and teh DCS2500t top-handle - which for some weird reason is a 50V - still is "relesed but unavailable"....

So that leaves stihl & husq...have always found Husq to be better-for-$$ than stihl so gravitated that way, but VERY open to going with Stihl...honestly was about to go to Lowe's and get Husq's 320i 40V blower right now but they were outta stock (alll locations in my area, weird..), would love thoughts on these lineups I mean I'm a bit perplexed at how Husq has a low, and high, end lithium climbsaw, that have such different power & pricetags, despite being driven by the same battery puck (so far as I can tell....it is absolutely requisite IMO to only have 1 type of battery for your whole lineup, learned how great that synergy is with the 18V powertool lineup I have ;D )

Thanks for any thoughts!! Honestly I'm happy with Ryobi & Greenworks for blowers & polesaws but neither makes a top-handle, so stihl&husqy seem only viable options to me...the husq top-handle seems to be getting love from Reg and Hunicke (still can't tell but seems their new lith climbsaw may be using a better battery than their other 40v stuff..)

yknow the more I think of it, the more "1 ecosystem / 1 battery-type" is probably WAY more important with 40V outdoor equipment compared to 18V powertools, I mean 2 batteries is usually plenty-fine for 18v drills and whatnot, but - if I had polesaw/blower/top-handle - I'd imagine I'd want 3+ batteries, I mean you may wanna be polesawing for an hour straight you'd need to be charging-while-working so at least a 3 battery setup (I guess # of batteries would be a function of battery run-time V battery discharge-time)

So yeah am eager to see it be a smart "40V ecosystem" decision, I know I can get more bang for my buck on a blower by getting another 125b but I view the extra as "investment" towards my multi-battery, multi-tool 40V lineup - the 1st step towards it - just seems I can't pin down if Husq or Stihl are better ecosystems here!

Milwaukee and Makita have less expensive copies of their batteries on eBay. The batteries most likely will not last 10 years.

For the pole saw the Husqvarna one with direct drive as opposed to shaft and gearbox is my favorite. If they come out with an improved one to compliment the most advanced battery that would be even better. The lower tier batteries are supposed to work in the "pro" stuff just not as much max.

Kind of have to pay attention if the voltage stated is nominal or max. 18 nominal is 20 max

Blower is convenient,. Kind of drains batteries fast. For continuous use should have active battery cooling which mostly means blows air over the cells.

Do not forget about battery capacity, energy storage it is not voltage only.

In the last year I got a kilo-o-watt meter and the latest Husq battery.

Latest posts

Back