Is there a Dolmar equivalent to the MS200?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodie

"Cap'n Bullcrap'n"
Reaction score
I'm thinking of adding a small professional saw to go with my new 2159, but I can't afford to pony-up the $$ that an MS200 will cost. I love the price of the Dolmar 3410TH, but I don't climb, and need a rear-handled version of it.

The 341 looks like it might fit the bill, as it has a magnesium case, but their site talks about it being a "practical saw for home and garden." That translates to "homeowner" to me.

Any input appreciated.

It is more of a homeowner unit, I would suggest the 460 or even 510 before the 401.

Try the MS 192T, little brother to the 200 at $279.00 with 14 in bar.
Well balanced, light and powerful.
Just my opinion.

Robert

stckciv said:
It is more of a homeowner unit, I would suggest the 460 or even 510 before the 401.

True, but then you're up into a 10-11lb saw, which is a different creature all together. And once you're up in that weight range, I don't know anyone in their right mind who would be toting a 460/510 around when they could be running a 5100s. I think that the original poster had the specific purpose in mind for an MS200non-T, Dolmar 401, or some other 8lb rear-handle trim saw to serve as a smaller, light-weight compliment to his Husqvarna 359.

My two cents: grab an Echo 346. Open up the muffler, put a proper bar on it, and run some good chain. $170 on ebay for the saw NIB - $25 when you re-sell the OEM bar/chain on ebay + $20 for an Oregon ProLite bar + $20 for a couple loops of Woodsmanpro 3/8LP = $185 for a solid little saw.

Just Mow said:
Just my opinion.

Robert

If they offered it in a rear-handled version, I would definetly do it. Not a climber, though, so want to keep it as safe as possible.

Just Mow said:
Just my opinion.

Robert[/QUOTE

I agree with Mow.....I have the 192T and love it. It may be more than what you want to spend or not....but is still a pro saw......Ron

computeruser said:
I think that the original poster had the specific purpose in mind for an MS200non-T, Dolmar 401, or some other 8lb rear-handle trim saw to serve as a smaller, light-weight compliment to his Husqvarna 359.

Bingo. Love my 2159/359, but also want a pro-grade small saw for limbing, firewood, etc. Probably run it with a 14" bar. May go for a Husky 336, but they ain't cheap, either. The Dolmar is priced to move, but unfortunately they don't have a rear-handled version yet.

wood_newbie said:
If they offered it in a rear-handled version, I would definetly do it. Not a climber, though, so want to keep it as safe as possible.

Try the MS 210
2hp
9.7lbs

Just another option, lot of national tree company's in this area using it for ground work.

Robert

The Dolmar PS-401 is a nice saw that even has a compression release. The PS-341 is on the same frame just with less power. I'd pay for the more powerful engine anyday. As for the PS-3410TH, WOW what can I say but good things, Power, Lightweight and Extremely easy to start. They make a long handle version but it's not available in the States and may never be available here, I don't have any info on that as of now.

The other saw you may look at is the RedMax GZ4000 which has tons of power and lightweight. It's proven to be a great small saw.
Tony

http://www.amickssuperstore.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=REDMAX+GZ4000+CHAINSAW+16&Show=TechSpecs

I wouldn't get too dissapointed if Dolmar says something on their website about it being a "homeowner saw". I've got one, and yes, it would be an excellent "homeowner" saw. But if "homeowner" is referance to construction or quality, I would disagree. It is as much "homeowner" relative to construction as my "pro" saws. Dave Neiger told me that for years the 401 was Dolmars biggest seller in Europe. The market - loggers. using it for limbing. If you have never seen one, it is the same basic design approach used by all of the Euro saw folks on their "pro" saws. I think Shindiawa might also make "pro" saw that size with similar vertical layout.

If you want something like a ms200, I would not compare it to the 460 or 510. It is a much smaller, lighter saw. 8lbs if I remember correctly.

If you get one, it will really wake up with a muffler job and limiter cap removal adjustment. I run mine set up at 13,800 and it impressess all that use it.

Uwharrie said:
The other saw you may look at is the RedMax GZ4000 which has tons of power and lightweight. It's proven to be a great small saw.
Tony

Thanks for the tip on the RedMax Tony. One can NEVER have enough red and black saws, you know?? :laugh: BTW, I noticed your site no longer offers the Dolmars for shipping..only local pickup. How come?

wood_newbie said:
Thanks for the tip on the RedMax Tony. One can NEVER have enough red and black saws, you know?? :laugh: BTW, I noticed your site no longer offers the Dolmars for shipping..only local pickup. How come?

The GZ4000 is a good saw. Another stratofied saw in the mix, the way of the future.

wood_newbie, I have been informed that I can no longer offer Dolmar wholegoods for sale over the internet. I will not comment any further on this site but I am a Dolmar Dealer and WE do have product. I will be however adding Dolmar parts to our site as they have gave me permission in writing. Our goal to help market Dolmar has become somewhat dampened as we have spent money advertising the Brand with Google Adwords. Our Company will continue to be a Positive force for the Dolmar Brand. If we can assist anyone feel free to contact us at our Store. 336-672-1196 Just ask for me Tony or Dean. Thanks for everyone who has purchased saws from us as we will continue to offer the best service available.

P.S. I just purchased a LARGE amount of GB Bars and Chain from a Distributor of GB Products at some unreal prices. ( Overstocks and inventory that was slow moving for them ) I will list some of it on my site exculsive for AS members and guests. As they say Buy it Right, Sell it Right. Thanks , Tony

wood_newbie said:
Bingo. Love my 2159/359, but also want a pro-grade small saw for limbing, firewood, etc. Probably run it with a 14" bar. May go for a Husky 336, but they ain't cheap, either. The Dolmar is priced to move, but unfortunately they don't have a rear-handled version yet.

So...did I pay too much for my MS200T? (around $580). I bought it at the local Joh Deere distributor, also handles Stihl.

Hey! Wood Newbie
I did a comparision on Stihl MS299-t, Dolmars DSC401 and Husky's 338XPT
Not sure why I can't get it to line up right
Hope this helps! :rock:
Chainsaw

Features

StihlMS200-T Husqvarna 338XPT Makita(Dolmar) DSC401
Engine Sizes
34.8 45.0cc 39cc
Powerhead Weights
7.7 lbs 7.7 lbs 8.8lbs
Decompression Valves
NO AUTOMATIC Yes
Air Purge Systems
NO YES Yes
Side Chain Tensioners
YES NO Yes
Air Injection
™ Air Filtration
NO YES Yes
IntelliCarb™ Compensating Carburetors
YES NO Yes
Anti-Vibration Mounts
Rubber Buffers Steel Springs Rubber Buffers
Clutch Covers
Plastic Metal Not sure
Adjustable Chain Oilers
YES YES Yes
Consumer-Use Warranties
1-Year 2-Year 2-Year

The Makita(Dolmar)$210 w/14"bar compares A little Better then StihlMS200T $509 w/14"bar But it's not top handle and the Husqvarna Compares better then both and is top handle but cost is in between them at $390 w/14" bar.

Last edited:
tenacrewoods said:
Hey! Wood Newbie
I did a comparision on Stihl MS299-t, Dolmars DSC401 and Husky's 338XPT
Not sure why I can't get it to line up right
Hope this helps! :rock:
Chainsaw

Features

StihlMS200-T Husqvarna 338XPT Makita(Dolmar) DSC401
Engine Sizes
34.8 45.0cc 39cc
Powerhead Weights
7.7 lbs 7.7 lbs 8.8lbs
Decompression Valves
NO AUTOMATIC Yes
Air Purge Systems
NO YES Yes
Side Chain Tensioners
YES NO Yes
Air Injection
™ Air Filtration
NO YES Yes
IntelliCarb™ Compensating Carburetors
YES NO Yes
Anti-Vibration Mounts
Rubber Buffers Steel Springs Rubber Buffers
Clutch Covers
Plastic Metal Not sure
Adjustable Chain Oilers
YES YES Yes
Consumer-Use Warranties
1-Year 2-Year 2-Year

The Makita(Dolmar)$210 w/14"bar compares A little Better then StihlMS200T $509 w/14"bar But it's not top handle and the Husqvarna Compares better then both and is top handle but cost is in between them at $390 w/14" bar.
too bad neither run like or will last as long as the 200

tenacrewoods said:
Hey! Wood Newbie

My MS200T IS top handle. So, I paid $75 more for a top handle model?

Back