Is there a saw you never want to see again?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Micro 25 and similar poulan ilk. No provision to adjust the carb with the cover on, garbage air filter setup, foot long fuel line, problematic oiler. Just a bad design overall. One saw I genuinely hate, and won't waste time on.

Got an 019T that had been sitting in water in the back of a pickup. Decided it was to be a "learning" saw. I "learned" that the design was a nightmare, agree with all the comments here on it! But--did get it running, it starts and cuts well, ironically I don't want to chuck it just yet. Still the worst I have ever used.

Poulan PP4218 and PP3618.

I does not matter what you do to these junk piles, they will not run right, and they will not hold a tune out of box.

This. I've never met a PP that I even remotely liked for exactly these reasons. I always feel like the "pro" part is an inside joke, because I'd take a wild thing all day long over any PP.

This. I've never met a PP that I even remotely liked for exactly these reasons. I always feel like the "pro" part is an inside joke, because I'd take a wild thing all day long over any PP.
Really? You never saw a Poulan Pro you liked? I guess you are sheltered. :)

yeah poulan pros are what sent me into the wilderness looking at other brands...

Many people feel the same way and it seems to have something to do with all the PP's being strato saws and claims that they don't hold their tune for any length of time, mainly the idle setting that won't stay right. I haven't found them to be that temperamental and I work on a LOT of them, the PP5020 is the only one at this time that I have a hate on for and it actually performs well once you get the damn thing started.

Many people feel the same way and it seems to have something to do with all the PP's being strato saws and claims that they don't hold their tune for any length of time, mainly the idle setting that won't stay right. I haven't found them to be that temperamental and I work on a LOT of them, the PP5020 is the only one at this time that I have a hate on for and it actually performs well once you get the damn thing started.

Keep "poulan", it'll start! 😄

I had a 5020 for a bit, it was the most likeable of the PPs I've repaired/rebuilt/run. Did a reasonable job cutting up some sizeable oak. Was still glad to sell it off.

Homelite 330. Engineering nightmare. Max.
It seems they keep destroying the intake boot I guess because of the weak engine mounts. Every 330 I used to get required a new boot. I haven't had one for several years now. I have a little Poulan saw, I think it's a Craftsman, that I kinda like to use. I took the safety chain off (pictured) and put a real chain on it.

Attachments

• Craftsman 2.1-1.JPG
    Craftsman 2.1-1.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
I have a few, but overwhelming a stihl 015L. Just hate them.
Curious as to what makes you hate the 015? I quite like them.

I have one, and have rebuilt a couple others, and find them to be fairly easy to work on, and strong little runners. Just finished this one for a buddy of mine which he found sitting in a milk crate outside a shed, (owner said for at least 15-years) at an estate sale... He got it for $5, and I did a carb rebuild, new piston ring, crank seals, a new fuel line and oil line — about $35 in parts into it.

Runs like a champ!

IMG_6034.jpg

I started out with Poulan saws mainly because that’s what my dad had and I used them for many years and I still have the original 3400 that I bought new in spring of 1981. I’ve since moved on to other makes, mainly Stihl pro saws. When I run one of my Stihl 261’s I cannot believe that I spent all that time working on the old Poulan when I could have been cutting wood ! The air filter on those old saws would plug up every day. The Stihl 261 is the best all around saw I’ve ever owned. I kick myself now thinking back to all the time I spent working on those old junk saws.

Latest posts

Back