Is there a "sweet spot" in small battery saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davefr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have plenty of gas chainsaws but I'd like to pick up a battery saw just for those quick jobs like minor storm cleanup, pruning, etc. Maybe 15-30 minute jobs just a few times per year. No more than 14-16" bar. There are a gazillion to pick from including some no name brands at Amazon. I don't have batteries or a charger for any of them and would like to keep the cost down.

I do have an old primitive Kobalt and it's junk. It turns so slow you can almost feel all the cutters hitting the wood. (terrible vibration and slow cutting)

I there something that stands out as decent/smooth cutting but won't break the bank including batteries + charger?

Lots of threads on this. Lots of choices. W-I-D-E range of prices. Batteries are key. Etc.

But if I was to suggest one to check out per your post, I would look at the small, 36V Makitas. You can even rent one at Home Depot to try one out.

8D0EBAD7-A2E8-4E77-A218-DFDBB48FA2DE.jpeg

Problem is, once you have one battery tool, you will want more. Like potato chips. So look at the whole battery platform of any tool that you choose.

Philbert

I have a Ryobi 18V 10" that is like you describe your Kobalt, but I use it when I just have a few small cuts to make. I also have a Ryobi 40V 14" that is great when it's just not worth it to start up one of my gas saws, cuts fast with quite a bit of power for mid size jobs. My brother has a Kobalt 80V 18" up at our cottage that we have used the crap out of, it has just about as much power as most mid size gas saws with a pretty good life on a battery. Very handy for just cutting up a few fire logs.

I have the Ego (lowes & ace hardware). Nice little branch zipper. A family member has the Harbor Freight Atlas battery saw and likes it, for what that might be worth.
Project Farm youtube nice reviews on the HF saws and others

Lots of threads on this. Lots of choices. W-I-D-E range of prices. Batteries are key. Etc.

But if I was to suggest one to check out per your post, I would look at the small, 36V Makitas. You can even rent one at Home Depot to try one out.

View attachment 997442

Problem is, once you have one battery tool, you will want more. Like potato chips. So look at the whole battery platform of any tool that you choose.

Philbert
Makita's 18v top handle is a real sweet little saw.

The only "sweet spot" is if you are already involved in a battery tool platform and have batteries and chargers.

This is very relevant, especially if you have Milwaukee 18V, Dewalt 20V/60V, Makita 18V, etc. Starting off with extra batteries (from those power tools), will save having to buy more batteries. If you aren't invested in an existing platform, I'd probably jump over the hand power tools, and to the larger OPE (outdoor power equipment voltages), e.g. 36, 40, 56, 60, 80V. One consideration that seems to be often overlooked is Watt-Hours (e.g. battery AMP-HOURS x VOLTS).

Did some research on the Stihl on this evening, and their AP500 battery, which is a 36V system, is 9.4AH, and lists "battery energy content" as 337 (WH). The largest Ego 56V battery I have is a 5.0AH, which is 280WH (56 x 5). So that AP500 has more stored power. For comparison, a large 12.0AH Milwaukee M18 battery, has 216 WH (12.0 x 18V), so much less than the others. Bottom line, need to understand the relationship between voltage and amp-hours, as the true measurement for stored energy (and potential work performance).

PS - the above videos by Project Farm are excellent, and the "data" and charts an engineer could ever want. =)

I just got a Powerworks 60v 16" with a 2.5ah battery and charger for $169. Got a 2nd 4ah battery off FB Marketplace for $85. So far I am pretty impressed. Same battery as the Kobalt and Snapper 60v. The Greenworks batteries will also work with some minor plastic filing. 20230402_085858_HDR.jpg

Not only battery capacity but chain size is important. 3/8" LP will need a lot more power than the 1/4" chain on a MSA 160.

Really like that unit and it quickly became my 'go to' saw for small jobs.

Lack of noise helps too.

Latest posts

Back