is this 2 cords of wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JakeG

JakeG

Addicted to ArboristSite
How long are the stacks? How tall are they?

1 cord = 3 stacks 8' long, 16" wide and 4' tall.

So if you have six stacks matching those measurements, yes you have 2 cords.

I'm on a cell phone so it's hard to tell, but looks like its a possibility.

desktopgold

desktopgold

ArboristSite Lurker
he was supposed to show up in a uhaul style truck , but I guess he showed up in a 1 ton dodge ram type truck dually , im away so I cant measure ill be up there next week . there supposed to be 16 inch long . it came out 5 days later that he showed up in a pickup ........lol . it looks like 1 1/2 cord maybe but the neibor said he thought it was 2 cords lol ......im thinking 1 and 1/4 to 1 and 1 1/2 but there again I paid for it , but was not there . I would have asked for adjustments ..........good looking wood though,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,im also trying to guestimate by the pieces of wood on the ground fence hight etc . ill measure one im up there . its just a pro that deals with this every day could probably tell instantly

Last edited:
blades

blades

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
No way in a standard 8ft box even with high sides. Unless they were 9- 10 ft high. Area of bed with sides to allow for a 4ft depth of load 128 cubic ft less the the wheel wells so maybe 100 cf or so, at 5 ft maybe a true cord less 10-20% for air gaps ( about normal). ( volume full cord 128 cubic ft. less 10-20% for air gaps) Heck I had a guy show up many years ago with a 1 ton dump no extra sides telling me it was a cord ( stacked to about 3/4) he got 75% of what he was asking as well. Maybe that is where that "chord" term comes from, I dunno not familiar with it. ( just a little rib poking)

bower4311

bower4311

ArboristSite Operative
I sell around 100 facecord in the Rochester area of New York every year. If someone says cord, they mean facecord. Just a different area. And facecord is one row of 16" logs 8x4, which happens to fit pretty well in a pickup truck, so I can say a longbed pickup truck load if they're confused.

Swamp Yankee

Swamp Yankee

Addicted to ArboristSite
Tale of the tape

The only way to truly determine how much is there is to measure. Based upon your description as to how it was delivered, without knowing the bed dimensions, I would doubt there's 256 cubic feet unless it was actually stacked in and not loose thrown. One thing that would really help is if you had something in the pic of a known size, say a garden tractor or wheelbarrow. It's very hard to determine the pile dimensions without a reference of some sort.

You need to contact the seller, but get actual stacked pile measurements before you do. He may want to measure himself, if so let him, if it's short he should offer to either refund some money or make the volume right.

Take Care

gunnusmc03

gunnusmc03

Addicted to ArboristSite
It's hard to say without reference, but as mentioned a cord is 4' X 4' X 8'. Or 3 face cords of wood laid out 4' tall x 8' long if the wood is cut to 16". If i had to hazard a guess that looks like 4 face cords so not 2 full cords at all.

Last edited:
desktopgold

desktopgold

ArboristSite Lurker
well the guy is realy nice and seems honest he just called back , although my wife said it was a normal pickup he says it was a flat deck that was 9feet 6 in long by 8 feet 6 inch wide by 5 feet tall . which makes more sense now . when I get up there im supposed to measure and well make up the difference next load , or rather he guarantees it was correct . I feel better knowing it was a flat deck .................good news is we just got a husquavarna 570 and a sthil 046 so im working on becoming self efficient we also got a little electric log splitter made by yard machines that I would like to change the pushbutton actuator on it to a pull handle

slowp
I see your location has changed. I thought it said San Mateo the first time, now I see you have moved to Beautiful British Columbia. So, wouldn't you be inclined to use metrics instead? Cubic meters? Tonnes?

Me thinks something is not quite right...just saying...:popcorn:

desktopgold

desktopgold

ArboristSite Lurker
good eye , im in san mateo right now just married a bc woman and moving to bc next week , we heat our house with fire wood mostly I guess lol ...........I used to live in Alaska in anchorage for 20 years but we always used baseboard heat there . this is actually the first firewood I ever bought

Latest posts