Is this a bad idea?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walta

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just bought my first gas saw a husky 359. I sure would take a lot less space to store the saw in a vertically. I made this stand if the fuel thank is fill it stops leaking after 1/3 tank has leaked out. Will storing my saw this way, with the tank less than ½ full do any damage to the saw?

Walt

walta said:
I just bought my first gas saw a husky 359. I sure would take a lot less space to store the saw in a vertically. I made this stand if the fuel thank is fill it stops leaking after 1/3 tank has leaked out. Will storing my saw this way, with the tank less than ½ full do any damage to the saw?

Walt

i seen um stored every way they can turn, so im sure your alright, but maybe someone who knows somehting might know something i dont know.

You should not lose that much gas.Do you know where the gas is coming from?You have few options:by the fuel cap,the air vent(cap missing ?),around the fuel line that goes to the carb or the tank itself is leaking by the "joint"where the tank is joined together.

How do you get your saws off that pole? Looks as if you would have to unhook one end and slide off the saws to get the one you need. What would work better, to me, is to have hooks on the pole from which to hang your saws.

Chris B.

BTW, Nice Mac 105/125. Got 2 myself, plus a kart engine saw. Your hanging saws may have inspired me to reorganize. Can't walk into my shed without tripping over saws....I'm serious. Need to drain all the gas, though. Most of the saws I hardly use and have collected over the last few years.

Chris B.

HiOctane said:
You should not lose that much gas.Do you know where the gas is coming from?You have few options:by the fuel cap,the air vent(cap missing ?),around the fuel line that goes to the carb or the tank itself is leaking by the "joint"where the tank is joined together.

I agree, it should not be leaking gas. Anyone know what the cap on my old 031 needs to stop leaking. The o-ring is fine but it leaks pretty fast if I turn it upside down. This is a backup saw that I really like...except for the fuel leaking issue. :angry: I can store the old Stihl in this position with no leaks. :)

you are probably correct that if you had a bar with individual hooks would be nice but what i have works and is cheap 2 hooks and a pipe and i am done i have 4 of these set ups and all hold fine i don't cut alot anymore more of the collector now
thanks
erik

I ripped a landscape timber down the middle and cut 7 slots in it and bolted it to the wall and I hang my saws there.
The landscape timber gives it the rustic look. imo

The only one that leaks is my Husky 55R and it will leak a big puddle of bar oil from around the bar, not the cap. So I don't hang it. Wish I knew why it leaked though.
Dan

I saw the title of this thread and thought, "Uh-oh." Usually when someone asks, "Is this a bad idea?"....

It is.

It's kinda like when bubba says, "Hey, guys, watch this" You just know something bad is about to happen. :D

I could not see the source of the leak. Dry around the filler cap. I found fuel on the bottom of the saw. Is there something to stop fuel from escaping thru the vent?

Walt

There should be a one way vent insert in the vent line to let air in but not let the fuel out...

It should not be leaking... other than that observation there is no harm in storing the say that way..

BlueRidgeMark said:
It's kinda like when bubba says, "Hey, guys, watch this" You just know something bad is about to happen. :D
famous last words them are.

then again, I done tried all kinds a crazy things and am still livin now.

Latest posts

Back