is this a big one guys?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gord

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i went for a little trip to port renfrew a while ago and found this leetle douglas-fir. i happened to have a bit of gear along so i figured what the hay...might as well see what the view is like from up there.

getting ready

going up

bit of a rest

this tree is the largest member of the pinaceae family

Gord said:
i went for a little trip to port renfrew a while ago and found this leetle douglas-fir.

Douglas fir? THAT BIG? WOW that will make some loghome.....

This one my dad is building from (dutch grown)douglas has diameters from only 75cm(30inch) max. The longest log used in the roof is 23 (75feet) meters long and weight 3000Kg(6600pound).

( dad worked and lived two years in the mid 60's near Vancouver in logging. so he had to build a loghome hinself some day)

He is constructing for two years now (he works on this for 3 days a week beside his daily job as advisor between dutch agricultural/forestry education and private companies.) He got some help from family, two friends and of course grandad (83yrs!) This autumn he thinks he can go live in it. He used a Jonsered bandmill to cut the logs and Stihl saws and drill and some other home made gear to finish the logs. Also a small loader to move the logs around and a crane to hoist them in place.

He is doing a hell of a job as this type of building is not common in the Netherlands. Certainly not as a do it all yourself from ground up.

Rgrds Ronald

Gordo, AWESOME> sweet big tree climb man, well done.!
more pictures!

very cool.

P

wow that tree make's the 80' doug firs i logged in Cornwall look like tiddlers....nice cabin by the way , a work of art

Back