Is this a birch tree? No leaves left, just trunk

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bullvi22

Enthusiastic Amateur
Reaction score
birch.jpg

My brother had this tree "trimmed" by some jackleg who overpruned and killed it, methinks its birch, anyone else have an idea? There are no limbs, saplings, nuts, acorns, or fruit to identify left.

I'll be doggoned, I believe you may be onto something. Google images does seem to agree, I was leaning toward birch because there was another one nearby, although it didn't have the papery upper branches.

Looks like cherry to me as well. Does the bark come off easy? Everyone I see in MN has very few branches when alive and when to cut into it part is already punky. Very weak.

Brian

I'll I.D that tree for you if you show us the butcher pruning job.

Well, I'll have to swing by my bros to take another pic or two, we'll see what we can do. Looks like he basically cut everything but a 8-10' section of tree above the fork in the main trunk. Didn't leave anything resembling a bud for it to pop back out. I don't know much about givin haircuts without killing the customer.

IMG_1991.jpg

Here she is, I believe that is what is known as a "haircut", correct? Any idea on probable cause of death?

now why would anyone trim a black cherry tree like that?

if it's red when you cut the rounds, you know its cherry

IMG_1991.jpg

Here she is, I believe that is what is known as a "haircut", correct? Any idea on probable cause of death?

I've trimmed a lot of trees like that.

It's the first stage of a take down.

Cleaning up all of the brush is a lot easier before dropping the trunk.

Were you able to drop it in one piece?

Did you have enough room to drop the tree if it hadn't been cut back?

Hey at least the cuts are level lmfao here they are all differing heights:laughing: Looks like wild cherry but cherry normally responds by sprouts so river birch has merit.

I've trimmed a lot of trees like that.

It's the first stage of a take down.

Cleaning up all of the brush is a lot easier before dropping the trunk.

Were you able to drop it in one piece?

Did you have enough room to drop the tree if it hadn't been cut back?

Haven't dropped it yet, didn't know about it until Tuesday. May try to work it on Saturday, firewoodin is the only thing on the agenda Saturday, let's hope it stays that way

Latest posts

Back