Is this a design flaw on Stihl saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes those pacifiers are sure needed when anyone says anything bad about any Stihl saw. Steve

So your telling me the position of the deco valve on a 441 is a bad thing, hmmmmm, thank god thier cheap, not the deco valve , the pacifier,LOL

Steve if you want to defend those whinning over things a baby would laff at help yourself, I for one am not in the babysittying biz,:laugh::laugh::laugh:

The next one that comes to mind is the color of the saws - but that is a real flaw, if you want to keep them pretty! :biggrinbounce2:

Two tone does look great doesn't it,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

So your telling me the position of the deco valve on a 441 is a bad thing, hmmmmm, thank god thier cheap, not the deco valve , the pacifier,LOL

Steve if you want to defend those whinning over things a baby would laff at help yourself, I for one am not in the babysittying biz,:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I missed the link to the decomp valve, but the pasifier is needed for anyone that doesn't think anyone else has the right to say any thing bad about any Stihl saw. I'd being willing to bet your fixing a lot more new Stihl homeowner saws than you have in the past. Steve

I missed the link to the decomp valve, but the pasifier is needed for anyone that doesn't think anyone else has the right to say any thing bad about any Stihl saw. I'd being willing to bet your fixing a lot more new Stihl homeowner saws than you have in the past. Steve

Well Steve whatcha think now that you know what the thread is about, where the deco valve is mounted a flaw, kinda silly huh. I don't care who says what about any brand but when its right down silly and laughable its too much fun to discredit than to ignore it.

If you feel I'm picking on those that say bad things about Stihl you are incorrect. I'm only having fun with their silly assumtions and yes I can back it up 100%. I'm seriously thinking about showing just how conveinant the deco valve placement on the 441 is. Did you know you never have to take your hand off the handle to use it, amazing huh yet some question whether its a flaw, I guess if you had no thumb to push it then it would be a flaw, too funny...

I've had cats bring me saws to look at, and tell me it doesn't run right, won't stay running, bogs down, etc. etc.

I'll pull mufflers first to check for scoring... 99% of the P&C's look good. Then I dump out their old stale cruddy mix oil fuel. Add my fresh fuel mixed with Synthetic oil at 50:1 and reset the carb to factory specs. Saw usually is a bear to start, since most of them are flooded... but they eventually start. Retune carb and now we're cuttin'!

Call cats back, tell them saw runs fine, and give them te "you gotta use fresh fuel, and quality pre mix" lecture. I most often then not will get a call the following week that the same saw runs like crud again. My first question is... "Are you still using the same fuel you used prior to bringing it to me?" The answer is always "Yes... why?"

It's like being stuck on groundhog day... some cats will never learn... :)

Gary

Decomps aka sissy valves are there to help the starter not pansy assed operators.

Yep, I got a Sachs 133 that has disgusting compression/no decomp. It eats starter components like you wouldn't believe - Sam

Decomps aka sissy valves are there to help the starter not pansy assed operators.

LOLOL, Randy, only real loggers from the iron age are still thinking that way.
But knowing the tools you have worked with in the past, I can really understand where you are coming from.

I am one of those modern firewood crackers and have no problem to admit that I love the decomp on a saw, at least for a worthy saw above 60cc anyway. With 130 Lbs gross weight, and arm muscles trained daily by typing on a computer and holding a pen, some technical advanced features really are very welcome on my saws ;) , but I doubt that we really need triple chain brakes, fancy colors, toolless caps, quick chain tensioners, and Lord knows what else stuff to cut some firewood.

Different perspective, but the decomp on the 7900 is the only thing I DON'T like about the saw. I've never seen the need for it, but don't begrudge people who like to use them. My big problem with it is the fact that it is in the perfect spot to make my saw die when I left hand carry and let the saw lean against my leg (ie. bending over to push the end of the tape in a log). The starter handle pushes against my leg and into the decomp and kills the saw. Starts getting old after awhile.
I grew up watching my logger dad drop start saws, and was taught how to do it that way. The Forest Service tried to correct my flaws, but it's really hard to argue against gravity...it works. I won't advocate it for anyone else, but I feel completely safe doing it and don't see myself changing anytime soon.

Roland, I seem to be woefully out of date.
In these current times, the decomp seems, in many cases, to be for the ease of starting, not so much to improve starter life, the orginal intent was to take stress off the moving parts. Even as I sit here with three permanantly numb fingers and three surgeries on my right arm, I will always think that decomps on many saws are sissy valves.

one thing I have noticed about the big macs with valves is that they seem to like to be started with the lowerd compression. Mine are pretty seasoned and they usually go on the first three pulls.

Newer saws start like #### with them.

I agree with Randymac..

Roland, I seem to be woefully out of date.
In these current times, the decomp seems, in many cases, to be for the ease of starting, not so much to improve starter life, the orginal intent was to take stress off the moving parts. Even as I sit here with three permanantly numb fingers and three surgeries on my right arm, I will always think that decomps on many saws are sissy valves.

RandyMac: Are the numb fingers carpal tunnel or what?
Man I have two on my right hand, my last two fingers that are numb and been that way for a couple years now. It never goes away. The numbness runs down that side of my hand about halfway too. Never really hurts or anything, just numb. I reach for change with my right hand in a store and it will just hit the counter sometimes. :)
I just wonder if that is fixable, or am I just stuck with it like you are. I'm glad im left-handed because I can't hardly pull something from my pocket with my right hand.
I have noticed that there's really not any difference in starting with the comp pushed in or left out. Though I do push it in when I think about it just out of habit. But the numb hand makes em hard to pull sometimes.

Man I have two on my right hand, my last two fingers that are numb and been that way for a couple years now. It never goes away. The numbness runs down that side of my hand about halfway too. Never really hurts or anything, just numb. I reach for change with my right hand in a store and it will just hit the counter sometimes. :)
I just wonder if that is fixable, or am I just stuck with it like you are. I'm glad im left-handed because I can't hardly pull something from my pocket with my right hand.
I have noticed that there's really not any difference in starting with the comp pushed in or left out. Though I do push it in when I think about it just out of habit. But the numb hand makes em hard to pull sometimes.

Hmmmmmmmmmm there is a tool for you my man. Even with anti vib systems on saws today the vibs are still there though not as noticeable. I got in some anti vib gloves a few weeks ago. Never bothered with them because of how they look, they look weird. I figure what the heck, I'm gonna add them to the rack. I gotem in and I was surprized, they look odd but boy do they soak up vibs before the vibs reach your skin. They have soft rubber buttons all over the plam side of the glove. On top they expand so air can get to the hand. Check em out nextime your at a dealer, I think you may like them and they may help those numb fingers of yours when sawing...

Hmmmmmmmmmm there is a tool for you my man. Even with anti vib systems on saws today the vibs are still there though not as noticeable. I got in some anti vib gloves a few weeks ago. Never bothered with them because of how they look, they look weird. I figure what the heck, I'm gonna add them to the rack. I gotem in and I was surprized, they look odd but boy do they soak up vibs before the vibs reach your skin. They have soft rubber buttons all over the plam side of the glove. On top they expand so air can get to the hand. Check em out nextime your at a dealer, I think you may like them and they may help those numb fingers of yours when sawing...

Appeciate it Tom. I'll check that out. Sounds like something I really need.

Appeciate it Tom. I'll check that out. Sounds like something I really need.

Psssst, checkem over closely, make sure there are no what, flaws in them, I couldn't resisit, I sorry, well not really, I needed a Sunday giggle,haha

Yep, carpal and nerve damage, get an EMG. It is fixable to a point, the sooner the better and figure out how not to injure the repair.

Latest posts

Back