Is This Ash?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vangellis

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Sorry, no leaves to show. This stuff is coming from a place where I'm cutting up black cherry tree tops that a logging operation left behind.

There are several of these trees that the tops are broken off, they stand pretty straight up and hardly have any limbs.

There are a couple also that are standing that the bark has just fallen right off.

I hope the pics help.

logback.jpg

logtips.jpg

loginside1.jpg

Thanks for any info.

Kevin

How does it split? Ash splits really easy, Elm not so much:chainsaw: PLus the way you described the way the standing dead one look, it really sounds the part of Elm

I thought elm too by the bark falling off but as others have said the grain doesn't look right. I guess it comes down to how easy it splits.

Josh

I am no expert.But I am leaning towards Tulip as well.The grain looks just like some Tulip I had last year.

It could be Elm

I have had some Elm that would crack open with a good hit from a maul.
I think it was sun bleached red elm here is a chunk I had to keep, makes a nice bench and should last for years.

w1.JPG

Last edited:
The spalting and bark from some pieces tells me Hackberry. Hack doesnt have a thick bark but is very rough and does come off easily once it dries. It may have orange, green, grey or black spalt runing through it. This depends on the algea causing the spalt and the stage it is cut. The bark is grey to charcoal in color and has 'kernels' on it that protrude noticeably.
It does split easily, especially dry or frozen. It will practically pop apart with a sharp axe. I split several 30-40 inch green pieces with just a 4# axe regularly.

I'm voting Hackberry or Sugarberry.

Edit: Wanted to add, it makes good firewood. I would take it over American Elm. And load it along just as quick as any Red Elm, Maple, Birch or Oak

Last edited:
OK...I guess it's not ash. LOL
I never heard of tulip trees in these parts, but what do I know. I'd say it split easily by hand with the fiskars super splitter. My neighbor wasn't sure which it was, but felt that it was a hardwood.
I don't think that the bark was that thick. If I get up to the area that these are in tomorrow, I'll try to get some pics of the bark and leaves.
This is like a good detective novel.

Thanks for the opinions guys.

Kevin

How does it split? Ash splits really easy, Elm not so much:chainsaw: PLus the way you described the way the standing dead one look, it really sounds the part of Elm

I don't know what kind of ash your splitting? but we leave it set for at least a year before we even try. Burns good but one of the biggest pains in the a$$ to split

Maple?

Vangellis, from the looks of the grain in the last picture, I would say it is Maple. I just cut a pickup load the other day that had sat for 2 years and the bark fell right off and looked like what you have pictured.
Carl

Maple

These are some pictures of the maple I cut and split the other dat. This is the first time I tried to post some pictures and I have a cheap HP camers. Hope they come out OK.
Carl

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Back