Is This Ash?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a few pics today. Should be the same kind of wood.

Heres one on the ground.

grounded.jpg

Here's a live standing one. Rough bark on the bottom getting smooth on the way up.

bark.jpg

Leaves. Looks like maple?

leaves.jpg

Dead standing one.

standingdead.jpg

Also a nice day for a walk. This is my wife with her seat on some future heat. A nice big black cherry top that is next on my list.

cherryliz.jpg

We've been spotting some foxes around the same spot on occasion.

fox.jpg

Fox food?

rabbit.jpg

Anyway, I hope some of the pics help solve the ID, but the leaves do look like maple?

Thanks, Kevin

Looks like Maple to me.

We are currently splitting some that looks very similar to what you have in your first picks. Very straight grain and bleached.

It's been a couple of years since I cut it down, but I believe it was Red Maple.

Those leaves have sugar maple all over them.Red maple has small serations around the edges sugar doesn't.Sugar maple is real nice wood.Especually if it has figure in it.:clap: Great find.

FYI for identifications:
During a recent search to ID some wood, I found this excellent comparison photo of the different maple leaves:
comparisonmapleleaves.jpg

Also I found an excellent link for identifying wood without leaves by Firewood Identification at Univ of MN, forestry, extension.
http://www.forestry.umn.edu/extension/forest/firewoodID.html
There are quite a few pages on this site with very pertinent info. about identification and storage of firewood.

It will stand without the bark and be solid as a rock for many many years.

The dead standing ones do look pretty solid and should be an easy drop.
I appreciate everybodys input and help. I'll update with pics when I get a chance to get up there to cut some more.

Speaking of sugar maples, I have a very old, large one right out in my front yard. I'll have to get a pick of that.
Nice.

Thanks again,

Kevin

Got a few pics today. Should be the same kind of wood.

Heres one on the ground.

fox.jpg

Leaves. Looks like maple?

Here's a live standing one. Rough bark on the bottom getting smooth on the way up.

rabbit.jpg

Anyway, I hope some of the pics help solve the ID, but the leaves do look like maple?

Thanks, Kevin

Nah. Not maple. Foxfur, or maybe cottontail.

:D

I got a say that looks like maple to me and elm looks like hickory? What ever it is it look ready to burn.

I got a say that looks like maple to me and elm looks like hickory? What ever it is it look ready to burn.

Nice part is, there is a lot of it.

Funny part about this photo is after I took It I said to my wife, "geez dear, I don't know what I love more. You or that big black cherry log your sitting on".

Good thing she has a sense of humor.:)

cherryliz.jpg

Kevin

Vangellis, from the looks of the grain in the last picture, I would say it is Maple. I just cut a pickup load the other day that had sat for 2 years and the bark fell right off and looked like what you have pictured.
Carl

Yeah, I am going to agree. The best I can do without actuaally seeing it. I cut some stuff two falls back that had been sitting off the ground and looked similar to your pics. Red Maple maybe.

Latest posts

Back