Is this black locust?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We must of had a thornless honey locust tree in our yard. Based on leaf/stem structure and seed pods along with how they can grow without thorns
That's what many have.
The black locust only show them on their branches and when they are young, the bark eventually grows over them. What's bad is when you're moving brush that appears to have none, then you get gashed by one that was sticking out just a bit from the bark :rare2:.

Any of you guys run into hawthorn? We have them thick in lapeer and they are dangerous. Some thorns are 4" and like a sewing needle sharp. See quite a few deer with a bum eye guessing they got a thorn in it. I have had them go completely thru my hand and finger before. Nastiest tree I came across so far.

Any of you guys run into hawthorn? We have them thick in lapeer and they are dangerous. Some thorns are 4" and like a sewing needle sharp. See quite a few deer with a bum eye guessing they got a thorn in it. I have had them go completely thru my hand and finger before. Nastiest tree I came across so far.
Dont see any around here.

Holy cow! I just saw all these responses... this site rocks! I talked to the guy again.. delivery tomorrow... he said owner insists its a "locust" - so I guess vote is leaning toward honey locust...

Couple you asked about branches.. there are a bunch. I should have taken pics... Anyhow, whatever it is, I guess it'll burn! Hopefully it really is a locust of some kind... I really don't think it's silver maple. We have a lot of those around here. It doesn't look like one.. they have flakier bark. This isn't flakey at all..

So assuming it's HL, is this a good firewood? as good as BL? Close?

Thanks to all!!

It depends on which chart you look at, but it's right up there. Definitely not as rot resistant as black locust. Note is shown here above red oak, sugar maple, and white oak that all the wood snobs revere. And you know who you are. Screenshot_20220214-175254.png
@chipper1 would probably have to taste test it to say for sure if it's near black locust. :sweet:

It depends on which chart you look at, but it's right up there. Definitely not as rot resistant as black locust. Note is shown here above red oak, sugar maple, and white oak that all the wood snobs revere. And you know who you are. View attachment 964957
@chipper1 would probably have to taste test it to say for sure if it's near black locust. :sweet:
Only a 0.3 difference:crazy2: nice chart H-RANCH

Only a 0.3 difference:crazy2: nice chart H-RANCH
Yeah, guys will argue that their favorite wood is a point or two better than some other wood on any given chart, but it gives a general idea where they rank. Honey locust looks pretty "sweet" to me. :laughing: In fact I just found a nice honey locust crotch in my bummer pile while I was checking the OWB and it's heating the house now. It is a heavy wood and I'd take as much of it as I could get.

It's going in the wood stove so I won't worry bout that!

Hey how does it split guys?

Season time? year?

Many thanks!
I cut on a three year plan so I have to watch what I get. I'll still cut HL when I can get it but I'll just burn it after a year. Split well but I have a splitter.

No tell-tale green colour in the wood, unlikely it's black locust.
We don't really see a green color in ours here, did you see the video I posted.
I think black locust is better but @chipper1 would be the guy to ask. He has a PhD in locust.
I've always thought the honey locust had a higher BTU. Just never thought it was worth the extra work as far as splitting it and that it was more difficult to stack because of the way it splits. I also have a lot of black locust that's easily available so that helps too.
It depends on which chart you look at, but it's right up there. Definitely not as rot resistant as black locust. Note is shown here above red oak, sugar maple, and white oak that all the wood snobs revere. And you know who you are. View attachment 964957
I still give BL a solid :sweet:, but if that's not available then the honey locust is a close :sweet: for BTU's, but for splitting and stacking it gets a :rare2:, and I'd choose other hardwoods to burn if it was similar in difficulty to get home.
Yeah, guys will argue that their favorite wood is a point or two better than some other wood on any given chart, but it gives a general idea where they rank.
That's ain't no joke, it's much like starting a, which saw is better, or what brand oil should I run lol.
They all seem to have things that would make them "better" in certain aspects, and poor in others.
Black Locust works well for me :).

Latest posts

Back