Is this elm tree a disaster waiting to happen?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dderolph

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My son owns a rental home in Columbus, OH and a large old elm tree is on the property. In the photo, you see a large crack in the tree. Where a wider opening appears in the bark (in the red circle in third photo), I inserted a tape measure into the crack. It went in about 22 inches. And, you see that the crack line progresses upward and slightly to the right as it approaches the point where the trunk splits.

The tree is a major source of shade and it's loss would probably make a significant difference to indoor temperature in the house during the summer since the house does not have central air conditioning. But, that is a minor point if the tree constitutes a serious hazard to surrounding property.

Back in 2009 or 2010, my son got an estimate from a tree removal contractor. The estimate, as i recall, was about $1,900. I know my son hates having to incur the cost of removal, and of losing the shade, but I am inclined to think the tree poses great risk to the house. In 2009, as i recall, a limb broke off the tree during a major windstorm and damaged a roof over the patio which extends off one side of the house. My son got some insurance coverage for that, minus his deductible.

Given the height and size of the tree, if the whole tree fell, my son's house could be practically destroyed, in my opinion, or any of several nearby houses could be damaged, depending on which way the tree falls. One side of the tree is shown in the two of the photos and the other side (w/red circle) in another. Sorry for not rotating the one photo before posting. I would replace it but I can't figure out how.

I'd like to know what some of you tree experts think about this.

Last edited:
I don't know how much the tree is rotted but If I was in your shoes I'd take it down yourself. Get a good Husky, which will be about $950 and take a day off of work, but hey, that's just me. If you don't want to, I wouldn't have someone take it down because if it has survived Irene and whatnot I'm sure it's fine. But, on the flip side, it has weakened through the storms, and could be a potential danger. It's completely up to you. My .002

I don't know how much the tree is rotted but If I was in your shoes I'd take it down yourself. Get a good Husky, which will be about $950 and take a day off of work, but hey, that's just me. If you don't want to, I wouldn't have someone take it down because if it has survived Irene and whatnot I'm sure it's fine. But, on the flip side, it has weakened through the storms, and could be a potential danger. It's completely up to you. My .002

Gee that was helpful. To answer the OP's question, yes, I'm afraid that tree would absolutely be considered a hazardous tree. The depth of the split and the fact that it goes from ground to crotch is very disconcerting. Another issue for your son to consider is if his homeowner's insurance could prove he was aware of the crack, they could term it a preexisting condition and deny any claim. I would definitely make it's removal a priority. Jeff

With the winds we've had in Ohio lately i would be getting that on the ground ASAP.

I agree with the others about having it taken down. Cannot see from the photos how the top of the tree is weighted but just to look at the split, its amazing its still together at all.

I do not agree with this being a do it yourself job. The crew who does it will likely tie or chain those leads together before trying to rig anything down.

1900 does not seem out of line. If part falls on the roof and they have to crane it out, you will triple that 1900 in a hurry.

Good luck.

Thanks for all replies. I"ll either send a link to this discussion to my son or tell him about it.

Regarding the suggestion in one reply of a do-it-yourself project, that is ABSOLUTELY out of the question. I believe this elm tree is over 50 feet tall. Limbs on the tree extend over the house, over a neighbor's fence and lawn - and, if it fell in the direction of their property, could damage their garage or house - and it extends over power lines running along a street and lines running from the street to the house. If the tree fell across the public power lines, it would also be laying across a public street and possibly cause minor damage to either of two houses on the other side of the street. A storage shed on my son's property is also located only about 15 feet from the tree. And, 2 or 3 smaller trees are within range of a fall of that elm tree.

So, taking down this tree must be tightly controlled, systematic removal from top down. This, of course, requires some special equipment besides a chain saw. So, a cost of $1900 or more is understandable.

14 year old giving tree advice.

Thanks for all replies. I"ll either send a link to this discussion to my son or tell him about it.

Regarding the suggestion in one reply of a do-it-yourself project, that is ABSOLUTELY out of the question. I believe this elm tree is over 50 feet tall. Limbs on the tree extend over the house, over a neighbor's fence and lawn - and, if it fell in the direction of their property, could damage their garage or house - and it extends over power lines running along a street and lines running from the street to the house. If the tree fell across the public power lines, it would also be laying across a public street and possibly cause minor damage to either of two houses on the other side of the street. A storage shed on my son's property is also located only about 15 feet from the tree. And, 2 or 3 smaller trees are within range of a fall of that elm tree.

So, taking down this tree must be tightly controlled, systematic removal from top down. This, of course, requires some special equipment besides a chain saw. So, a cost of $1900 or more is understandable.

I must say that it is refreshing to meet a homeowner who understands that what we do takes a lot of specialized equipment and skill. I don't mind everyone packin heat here in Texas, but they might want to think about licensing chainsaws, especially the ones owned by well-meaning brother-in-laws.... just sayin...

Goodmluck with your tree. Jeff

And needs to pay more attention in geography. Don't remember Irene being much of an Ohio event.

Hey, at least he's an honest 14 year old, hanging out on a chainsaw forum. Could be worse, he could be somewhere else fakin' his info and trying to, well, there are a lot worse places a 14 year old could be hangin' out on the web. Believe me, when I was 14, if there had been such a thing as the internet, I wouldn't have been hangin' out with a bunch of grumpy old tree guys.:msp_rolleyes:

from the pix shown its not good,, get in another Arborist see if it can be reduced in size and bolted cabled to keep & hold thou a lot depends upon tree location vs home its structure form etc at least get a few ideas in and removal quotes see if your home storm insurance will cover it

ah just read the Op second post this is not helping the tree at all over home wires etc looking costly and doomed

I had a live oak that looked exactly like that. It vast threatening anything, so I left it alone. Came out of the house one morning and half of it was down. No wind or storm. Just went. I would not tolerate any part of that tree over anything important. Not busting on the kid, but there needs to be an AS filter, at least on the homeowner forum, that blocks all advice to fall hazard trees yourself. Can't be too ####ing hard:msp_biggrin:

from the pix shown its not good,, get in another Arborist see if it can be reduced in size and bolted cabled to keep & hold thou a lot depends upon tree location vs home its structure form etc at least get a few ideas in and removal quotes see if your home storm insurance will cover it

ah just read the Op second post this is not helping the tree at all over home wires etc looking costly and doomed

Oh come on, buddy. I don't care if it's in the middle of a pasture, cables and bolts aren't gonna save a tree in that kind of shape. When a tree is done, it's done. Jeff

14 year old giving tree advice.

Yeah you're right, maybe I should maybe I shouldn't be giving advice. Gave him my .02 and my honest answer. Isn't that what this whole forum is for? I could be on #### right now but that's not me. Look, a 66 year old putting down a 14 year old for giving a man some advice over the internet, wow, wish I can be like you some day!

Yeah you're right, maybe I should maybe I shouldn't be giving advice. Gave him my .02 and my honest answer. Isn't that what this whole forum is for? I could be on #### right now but that's not me. Look, a 66 year old putting down a 14 year old for giving a man some advice over the internet, wow, wish I can be like you some day!

Wow,, you made me remember how stupid a 14 year old is,,
I hope your 'wish' comes true!
Jeff

So you hop on and give a homeowner some bad advice. He is dumb enough to actually take your advice, and hurts or kills himself, or someone else. But WTH, it was just your .02, right? That's the problem with living in a virtual world, you forget that your actions have real consequences. And by the way, that 66 year old man you're talking about has forgotten more about trees than you will probably ever know, because based on the intelligence you've shown up to this point the odds of you ever drinking a beer legally are slim indeed.

Ssshhhhhh....go outside and play. The grownups are talking.

Back