Is this elm tree a disaster waiting to happen?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know, I took it as a slap up side the head and a " dumbass" statement... ah I remember them well from my old man... lol:smile2:

Yup. I started working in the woods when I was about fourteen. I didn't have to worry about saying the wrong thing though...I wasn't allowed to talk. :msp_biggrin:

Yup. I started working in the woods when I was about fourteen. I didn't have to worry about saying the wrong thing though...I wasn't allowed to talk. :msp_biggrin:

LOL yup that sounds familiar too ........

Yup, I remember the first time I went out was 1975, he said keep your mouth shut and watch and hopefully you'll learn something, I did.I just finished a rebuild of his 1978 Husky 65 L last summer he loved, gave it to me as box of parts.... still cuts like a raped ape! Second generation stoic Swede the old man was.

Advice in the homeowner helpers forum is tricky. I am an "experienced amateur" which is lower on the totem pole than "firewood hack," but still sometimes offer advice, but always in a "that may seem like a good idea but its probably not" sort of way. Some people asking questions on this thread have never even used a saw, and need to receive advice with their experience level in mind. The consensus seems to be that the tree needs to go, and a pro needs to do it. Sniper, just be aware that your .02 appears to be worth the same amount to a noob as Gologit's .02. It would be almost impossible to be an experienced arborist at 14 years old, but the original poster doesn't know who's who around here

Advice in the homeowner helpers forum is tricky. I am an "experienced amateur" which is lower on the totem pole than "firewood hack," but still sometimes offer advice, but always in a "that may seem like a good idea but its probably not" sort of way. Some people asking questions on this thread have never even used a saw, and need to receive advice with their experience level in mind. The consensus seems to be that the tree needs to go, and a pro needs to do it. Sniper, just be aware that your .02 appears to be worth the same amount to a noob as Gologit's .02. It would be almost impossible to be an experienced arborist at 14 years old, but the original poster doesn't know who's who around here

Yup good on ya Husk.......oh and your a good bit more proficient than a hack bro

Posted DOB can't be taken as gospel. Some paranoid folks actually post things SLIGHTLY off from reality.

based on the intelligence you've shown up to this point the odds of you ever drinking a beer legally are slim indeed.[/QUOTE]

Jesus, you guys are making a huge deal out of this. I gave the gentleman the pros and cons of taking it down along with what I'd do. It's his decision. If he doesn't want to take it down, he doesn't have to. Above all it's his call, if he feels confident in his abilities then he should do it himself, if he isn't, then he should hire a professional. And, based on the intelligence I've shown to this point you say? I've posted twice on this thread and you've come to that arrogant conclusion that you have stated above. I know I'm no professional but I didn't directly tell the guy to do it himself due to the fact that I don't know his experience with saws.. I told him that's what I would do and left it at that, it's his decision. I'm the one being called an unexperienced kid, but which one of you knows for sure that I don't share this profile on here with some experienced logger? And I'm the immature one here.:msp_rolleyes:

If you're sharing a profile with anyone on here you're in violation of AS rules. You're only allowed to have one user name.

Your profile says that you're fourteen years old. I believe that you wrote that of your own accord. If you're not fourteen years old but you're masquerading as a 14 year old you're not only in violation but you're also one deeply disturbed individual.

So, which is it? Are you 14? Or are you trolling under the guise of being 14? Bear in mind that your answer might determine whether or not you're allowed to stay here.

Sniper, if you are 14, you are very well spoken. I would drop all this saw stuff and go to law school. You are probably the only 14 year old who knows about running a saw rich for milling longevity (see, now you boys have me using $10 words), although I find my 385 clears chips better than my 394. BTW, I mis-stated my age in my profile. I'm really 29, and have a full head of hair:biggrin:

If you're sharing a profile with anyone on here you're in violation of AS rules. You're only allowed to have one user name.

Your profile says that you're fourteen years old. I believe that you wrote that of your own accord. If you're not fourteen years old but you're masquerading as a 14 year old you're not only in violation but you're also one deeply disturbed individual.

So, which is it? Are you 14? Or are you trolling under the guise of being 14? Bear in mind that your answer might determine whether or not you're allowed to stay here.

Yes, I am 14 years old and no I'm not sharing this profile with anyone, I simply mentioned that because none of you would have known and would have never known if I did. Honestly, I browse this "Homeowner" section of this forum to broaden my knowledge about these things, and quite frankly I should be asking the questions, but I felt, as you all didn't, that I could handle giving this guy my opinion on this situation, and I didn't provoke him to do it himself, he should have enough common sense to not do it or to do it based on his experience. He is asking a bunch of strangers this question on a public site, of course there is going to be some outrageous answer, which, to this point, is mine apparently, and he needs to know to filter them out. I know now that I shouldn't give people advice or tell them what I'd do unless I know for sure about his/her abilities (And Geography, JollyLogger) because I will get it shoved right back into my face by a bunch of Grumpy Old Women.

Yes, I am 14 years old and no I'm not sharing this profile with anyone, I simply mentioned that because none of you would have known and would have never known if I did. Honestly, I browse this "Homeowner" section of this forum to broaden my knowledge about these things, and quite frankly I should be asking the questions, but I felt, as you all didn't, that I could handle giving this guy my opinion on this situation, and I didn't provoke him to do it himself, he should have enough common sense to not do it or to do it based on his experience. He is asking a bunch of strangers this question on a public site, of course there is going to be some outrageous answer, which, to this point, is mine apparently, and he needs to know to filter them out. I know now that I shouldn't give people advice or tell them what I'd do unless I know for sure about his/her abilities (And Geography, JollyLogger) because I will get it shoved right back into my face by a bunch of Grumpy Old Women.

To be fair to Jolly, geography is pretty important. Giving crazy answers is my thing dude, you need to find u'r own niche. I've got a funny feeling you may need a steel umbrella today. Good luck

To be fair to Jolly, geography is pretty important. Giving crazy answers is my thing dude, you need to find u'r own niche. I've got a funny feeling you may need a steel umbrella today. Good luck

It is, and why would I need a steel umbrella?

All right SS, here's your answer. If you look at the intro to homeowner's helper forum, you will see that the intro invites homeowners to ask the pro's. I take that seriously. Real homeowners are asking real pros for advice. You are neither. When I read a post, I am always aware of what forum I am in, and that has an influence on the advice I give. I have actually taken the time to read all of your posts, and you definitely do know a few things about saws, at least. Whether that is from the real world or just from a lot of searches online, I have no idea. As far as real world experience, if you are 14, I think we can safely assume your experience is limited. So you might want to just eat a little crow and let us teach you as well. Jeff

Back