Is this sprocket worn?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marky Mark

Hell's Kitchen Trapper
Reaction score
Is this sprocket worn? I am trying to determine when they are to be changed. My friend looked at this one and said he would use it. I feel it should be changed because it has chunks missing from it. I tried to get a picture of were it is wearing on the inside edges. What do you think???

That??? worn??? Nah, you should get a few more chains out of it!!!LOL:p

Mark, that rim is long gone but I suspect that you know that already. For the benefit of those who are wondering, if you pull the chain around the bar by hand and hear clicking or experience periodic tightening and loosening as you pull the chain, the rim is shot. Also if the visible wear is .015", or about the thickness of a business card. With a clapped out rim like that you get into a vicious cyle of wear and power robbing. The rim diameter is decreasing, effectively reducing the pitch of the rim and chain stretch is accelerated which of course increases the pitch of the chain. Rims are cheap, don`t scrimp on them.

Russ

Russ is right about the rim thing. This is where most problems begin, in conjuction with dull chain.
Here's a sprocket and chain on my 088, which I sold to Rotax for 3000 U.S. dollars.
John

After removing a worn sprocket from a rock mechanics chainsaw, I saw that the sprocket was worn so deeply that the drive tangs had contacted the splined shaft and wore deep grooves into it.
John

Marty,

In my opinion your sprocket is to too worn to be reused. Your friend is obviously not experienced or knowledgible on such.

I have handled 100s and 100s of them, and I would call that one badly worn, though far from the worst I have seen

Back