Is your stove keeping up?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Custom cut/noodle single blocks of your best quality wood, of a size that with just one, you can tstuff it in before you leave. That will burn the longest and throw usable heat.

In the morning, try to get your house temp up ten degrees higher doing whatever it takes. Then put that big one in right before you go. Maybe that combo will be enough to keep the oil furnace from coming on.

Besides that, I don't know. No one has come up with the autofeed home wood stove yet, anything that would load more regular splits.

Actually 2 good sized rounds, say 8" is the best way for me to stuff the stove. Gives a better burn than a single piece which would smolder a lot. Probably would be a good idea to set some aside in the future for temps like this. I do let it rip in the morning to boost it before leaving.

I don't get all bent out of shape if the oil burner comes on like I used to. It really only happens in this extreme cold; and then just for a couple hours in the afternoon. I don't have a problem with that. And being hot water baseboard, it's not a bad idea to have that system warm itself up in this weather.

Where can I signup for free heat?

Englander 30, heating 1700sqft, not keeping up. If we let it do 8hr cycles, mid 40's to low 50's in the house. If we burn it hot and constantly stuff fresh logs in, then I can get into the 60's. We are constantly dumping coals since 200-300F heat is doing nothing at these temps.

Forgot to mention, plenty of wood.
Easy...sell 100 cord and burn the scrap/uglies/partial rot and the occasional pine you come across in the process.

$7400.00 at Lehman :eek:
109.jpg
I like Grandmothers Glenwood better and it was FREE

My little Morso Squirrel is coping nicely, I even let it burn out early this am. (Taking a time-out)
Days like these, I feed it even smaller batches than otherwise, more often, with a tad more air- keeps it from "choking" on coals. Overall, probably using 1/4 more wood than "normal"- not a problem with so much in inventory. Related project is getting various stacks tidied-up.
Some white oak is now primo-ready, some of that is near the stove. About a month's worth there, total.
If I feel the need for a wee jolt of heat in a room, an Aladdin mantle lamp kicks in 3200 B/h, for shower-sauna.
Did I mention how much I enjoy seeing the gas-disposal-unit collect cobwebs? Gotta get out some and cut, for kicks. :chop:

Those lamps seriously rock. I should have bought one way back when they were cheaper...oh well

I did buy solar panels a long time ago though.

Englander 30, heating 1700sqft, not keeping up. If we let it do 8hr cycles, mid 40's to low 50's in the house. If we burn it hot and constantly stuff fresh logs in, then I can get into the 60's. We are constantly dumping coals since 200-300F heat is doing nothing at these temps.

Double ouch‼
That 1700 is pretty close to what I'm heating... not counting the basement where the furnace is.
Man, my wife would take the kids and leave‼ If global climate change is gonna' keep givin' us winters like this one... you're gonna' need more heater‼
Have you though about some sort'a add-on furnace to supplement the stove when it's like this??

The propane tank tells no lies - I started the year full (80%), I'm 55% now, 175 gallons used. Considering the weather, and the fact that I'm gone to work 12+ hours a day, that's acceptable to me. 10 hours of overtime just about covers that, and that's a week's worth of OT. Well, reading some other propane threads lately, it might take a couple weeks worth of OT to refill it. FWIW, hot water and cooking come off the bottle too, but I'd say 80% of it has gone to heat.

Ma Nature's being a ***** this year, for sure. Hope it warms up before I leave for my winter fishing vacation and go 100% bottle fed for a few days.

If I was home more, wood use would be up more, and propane use down. As it is, I keep the stove leaned on pretty hard when I am home. Based on the half winter I had with this stove last year, I "think" a "normal" winter should take 4-5 cords, I'll be surprised to get through winter on less than 6 this year. I do shudder a little when I think what I'd have gone through in the old Woodchuck by now.

image.jpg D.S. Machine-Energy Max 110. Doing the job well. 76 degrees inside, 10 outside. It has been below 0 at night all week. Next week doesn't look much better. I agree with Spider, it has been a long time since we had a long duration of cold like this. We are going through a lot more wood, but still can get an overnight burn. I the stove turned up about 3/4. I think I'm going to put the coal to it, for a while.

Last edited:
Lopi Freedom insert here. Yeah, we're running her pretty hard and I'm up about 30% on what I shove into it. Since I'm heating a bi-level with it, the back bedrooms get a little chilly once the fire dies down to just coals. Unless the global warming dust is falling from the sky, this is my slow season so I'm around to keep it fed.

How long of a burn are you getting out of your Freedom Bay wide open? I got one last year and finally got some wood dried enough to get it heating properly but still using a lot of wood. Only getting about 2 hours of good heat wide open but we have some huge single pane windows in the living room. At these temperatures I can get the living room in the 70's but the back bedrooms barely 60, fine by me though.
I only have about 3 weeks worth of dry wood left, bit the bullet and called the oil man today.:( Really haven't felt like going out to split wood in this weather although I have a ton of it.

The propane tank tells no lies - I started the year full (80%), I'm 55% now, 175 gallons used. Considering the weather, and the fact that I'm gone to work 12+ hours a day, that's acceptable to me. 10 hours of overtime just about covers that, and that's a week's worth of OT. Well, reading some other propane threads lately, it might take a couple weeks worth of OT to refill it. FWIW, hot water and cooking come off the bottle too, but I'd say 80% of it has gone to heat.

Ma Nature's being a ***** this year, for sure. Hope it warms up before I leave for my winter fishing vacation and go 100% bottle fed for a few days.

If I was home more, wood use would be up more, and propane use down. As it is, I keep the stove leaned on pretty hard when I am home. Based on the half winter I had with this stove last year, I "think" a "normal" winter should take 4-5 cords, I'll be surprised to get through winter on less than 6 this year. I do shudder a little when I think what I'd have gone through in the old Woodchuck by now.

Being gone that long, you are a prime candidate for thermal mass addition.

How long of a burn are you getting out of your Freedom Bay wide open? I got one last year and finally got some wood dried enough to get it heating properly but still using a lot of wood. Only getting about 2 hours of good heat wide open but we have some huge single pane windows in the living room. At these temperatures I can get the living room in the 70's but the back bedrooms barely 60, fine by me though.
I only have about 3 weeks worth of dry wood left, bit the bullet and called the oil man today.:( Really haven't felt like going out to split wood in this weather although I have a ton of it.

Isn’t it cheaper to buy in ready to go wood, over fuel oil?

The old smoke dragon Schraeder Woodstove has done an outstanding job of heating the entire house. Sometimes too hot. Did not have it last year. Had a fireplace. Using way less wood with stove that's for sure! Total so far this winter is around 2.5 cord. Propane usage for heat? 0%

I've got and older model Englander , I believe it is an 18T - no air intake regulator and will take up to 16" rounds. I've modified it to use outside air and use dampers on the flue to slow down the burn.

This is the only heat I use and move the air through the living spaces using 16" fans. The only problem is the burn time which is only maybe a couple hours. This morning it was 2° outside and I wasted no time in getting a fire going at 4:00 AM.

Leave the house at 5:00 AM and I come back home around 8:00 AM and build another fire off the coals. Usually the rest of the day and evening I am at home and the house is comfortable.

Wood usage this year is at least 50% more than the last 4 or 5 years. We have had some cold nights for this part of the country.

Still have wood though and enough for next year too.

Nosmo

2½ CORD‼ Yeah, I'd say that's pretty good... I converted near that much into ash by Thanksgiving‼

Yep. Sounds crazy but I pre-stacked wood on the back patio this heat season and have been keeping track of what I have used since that supply has depleted itself. I felt it was appropriate to get a good "feel" of how much wood I would need per season being that it is my first year with the stove.
I was off work for 3 weeks over the holidays so I used a substantial amount more than I would have if I was working.
Regardless this has been a great winter for gauging maximum wood use!

The other crazy thing is I was burning pretty yuck wood. It was ash and hard maple but it was stuff I cut while helping a friend clean up the rest of his tops he had purchased several years prior. A lot of punk wood and extremely light weight wood. I needed to get rid of it because it wasn't going to last much longer in the wood pile.
I have just recently "disposed" of all that and have reverted back to my original stock of 3 year seasoned ash and cherry. This wood burns awesome! Lasts so much longer and burns so much hotter!

Latest posts

Back