Is your stove keeping up?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jotul 602 CB. The most popular stove in the world. Awesome kitchen stove.
First fire.JPG
VC fireplace insert. Will be replaced with a Jotul insert when it reaches end of life.
Insert.jpg

With both stoves cranking the 2600 sq ft stays comfortable. Both are EPA approved.

Last edited:
Isn’t it cheaper to buy in ready to go wood, over fuel oil?

I can get kiln dried hardwood for about $350 cord. Never tried buying from anywhere else, don't think it's worth the time or chance. I see wood advertised for $200-250/cord, at that price I figure it'd be about the same as oil but with the work of moving it around and keeping the fire going I'd rather just burn the oil.
I do have a ton of wood that needs split with a bunch of dead/mostly dry. Just need to a round toit.

I put the Kuuma on medium high and it's keeping the whole house at the 70* set point for 8 hrs. 1st fl of the house goes' down to 67 at 10 1/2 hrs. odd thing is the un insulated basement and the 2nd fl with 3o yr old windows stay at 70*
This is an air balancing issue as the 2nd fl and basement get more air as they have a higher heat loss. So when the furnace gets down to the rear coal stage the lower temp with the reduced air doesn't keep up on the 1st fl. I could change it, but during the non polar vortex times the balancing is perfect. Did I mention that I love this thing.

This old girl does a pretty decent job of heating my 100+ year old farm house. On a really cold night the oil fired boiler kicks on once, sometimes. It ain't new and it isn't as efficient as others, but we can cook all our meals on it and do all our baking in it. Bacon,eggs from the coop,home fries from the garden and homemade biscuits make it all worth the effort, to me. View attachment 329765

Wow! What a beauty, if we could all be so lucky...

Where can I signup for free heat?

Englander 30, heating 1700sqft, not keeping up. If we let it do 8hr cycles, mid 40's to low 50's in the house. If we burn it hot and constantly stuff fresh logs in, then I can get into the 60's. We are constantly dumping coals since 200-300F heat is doing nothing at these temps.

Forgot to mention, plenty of wood.
have you tried using your blower ? I started using mine during this cold snap and noticed my Englander 30 put out a lot more heat through the house

Thanks Bushmans. All those field stones came from our homestead property.
I actually meant to post this to the thread "Is you stove keeping up?", but had a senior moment and it ended up on this thread. :dizzy:
I can make it go there if you'd like.

Even feeding it every couple of hours (dry hardwood), house temp is shy of 70F.
Wife is annoyed.
Can't fault the stove or the wood.

Since it was my idea to fire the gas company several years ago, I will never complain. I've found the peace and joy of splitting wood, and yea, it is colder than normal in Ga too. The Dutchwest is trying to keep up, but you know what, I have also learned that long johns have a place in my life, and 60 degrees indoors is AOk by me...

My central boiler 5036 is doing great. I put 3 big splits of pine in the back and put maple and a oak towards the front at 5 am this morning and probably wont reload till 9 or 10 pm. Temps were around - 3 this morning and highs around 8 but with wind blowing all day . Stat was at 70 because any warmer than that and its to warm in here. ;)

It's a challenge this year. When below zero I'm up at 2am to fill it so I can catch it in the downhill slide and not have a dead stove at 5 when the normal fill time is.

This is being stuffed at 8ish before I go to bed.

It's getting old.

I had a little fire this morning. The house got too hot. Summer temps have arrived, we hit 60 in the shade today so I put on shorts and sandals. I decided to carry an armload of wood in for tomorrow morning, and dropped a chunk on my sandalled foot. Owie.

What a killer machine! Very impressive!

If that's the Hahn processor, one was at my house a few weeks ago. The original designer is the one that dropped it off. Hammered out a nice small pile of stove stuffers in 20 minutes.

He also dropped off a "toy" not yet in stores for us to demo.

barely.............
I am still fiddling with different ideas. It's 4* out right now, 74* in here and "comfy". I had a long day re plumbing a house that had a major freeze up and I just want to crawl into bed. I can't crawl into bed until 10 or so, that is when I fill the stove for overnight, at 5:30 am it should be about 69* in here :)
dave

@Vermonster, I got it moved, it's a few posts back here though, goes by time posted.
OK, thanks Steve. One day reprieve from the arctic weather tomorrow then right back in to the freezer for the rest of the week here. I see you guys are still getting brutalized as well in Cheese head land.

I had a little fire this morning. The house got too hot. Summer temps have arrived, we hit 60 in the shade today so I put on shorts and sandals. I decided to carry an armload of wood in for tomorrow morning, and dropped a chunk on my sandalled foot. Owie.

Funny guy. I hope your sandal strap broke and your pina colada curdles.

Woke up to 0F outside this morning!

Basement was down to 58F, which is cold for my basement. The wood stove is hungry when it gets this cold out. Glad I installed a second stove (pellet) upstairs this fall.

My next home I want to build around a blaze king stove. Rumor has it they get a full 24hr burn no problem.

OK, thanks Steve. One day reprieve from the arctic weather tomorrow then right back in to the freezer for the rest of the week here. I see you guys are still getting brutalized as well in Cheese head land.

The one day reprieve really really tweaks me. I would have zero issue with Monday having a high of -18 if the weekend was decent. High of 4 and 1 to me is not decent for Saturday and Sunday.

If that's the Hahn processor, one was at my house a few weeks ago. The original designer is the one that dropped it off. Hammered out a nice small pile of stove stuffers in 20 minutes.

He also dropped off a "toy" not yet in stores for us to demo.

It is definitely an unreal machine, never seen anything like it!

Mine seems to keep up just fine but I have a well insulated house and a gas furnace to keep the house at 67 degrees till I fire the stove back up in the morning. If I shut the furnace off I would likely need to get up about 3-4 AM to fire it up. Here is my Enviro Kodiak 1700 that heats about 2100 sq ft on the main floor of my house.

casey.JPG

Back