ISA or TCIA

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ISA = $105 + chapter

TCIA = $349 (minimum - depending on how much bus. you do)

Im ISA for that main reason. I know some that are both but thats a lot to invest. If youre a business owner, it think both would be beneficial ad tools. But just for your person, no.

I too agree w/ okie.

Tcia is asking way too much for the fledgling business owner to donate. :(

I'm w/ Isa & local chapter as well as the Kansas Arb. Ass.

Forgive my ignorance but what does tcia stand for-tree cutters international association? Joking what does it stand for really?

Tree Care Industry Association

There are some business benefits to being a TCIA member. When you find out about all of the programs that they have developed for the business owner you'll see the value of the dues.

ISA benefits the individual and not the business.

I used to belong to both when the TCIA was the NAA. I dropped the NAA membership several years ago after asking myself whether it was worth paying them $350 a year. I am still a member of the ISA.

IMO there is a threashold of usefulness with TCIA membership. If you're a micro company with a couple of employees then It's probably not worth it. Once you start running several crews then it could pay in the long run to have the TCIA membership, just for the support they will give you if OSHA comes a knocking.

ISA is science education

TCIA is buisness education

There is some overlap, since noth are tree related.

I would suggest saving up to get the ISA Life Membership. it's only 10 years of dues, and you don't have to remember to get the check out every year.

For a newer company there would be value in a TCIA membership. Getting stocked up on their manuals and programs, many of which are free to members, might be a good use of the money.

Last edited:
Both JPS and TD have very good points. The package of manuals I got from the NAA, now TCIA, when I joined was very good. I am just a 3 man operation so continueing my membership after 5 years just wasn't worth it. The 1st year's dues were only like $175, then jumped up after that. If that is still the case, then joining to get all the manuals then dropping out would be worth it.

thanks guys, that's what I'm thinking, science vs. business
I've been an ISA member for a year or two, thinking I'm going to get my cert.
but I don't seem to have time and Penn State Co-op and Pa Forestry always have good classes close by
I'm thinking I could use some of the other help for a while, since the ISA Journal near about makes my head explode
TCIA is sending me a packet

Mike Barcaskey said:
the ISA Journal near about makes my head explode
Ha! Mine too. Maas wrote that the JoA is written at about the right level for him, but even though I've been reading academese for a long time, I have a hard time using many of them. :alien: most JoA articles are not written for the average reader, many topics are not applicable to tree workers, nor are most of them very action-oriented.

Their mags both have their ups and downs in quality and quantity. Lately Arborist News has had good scientific and practical stuff, tci more eqpt and business issues. They're both good orgs in their own way. Let us know how it goes with tcia.

The J of A gets thrown in the trash about 2 min. after I get it. I take a look at the table of contents, all of which are about trees we don't have in Hawaii. Since I joined the ISA over 10 years ago, I only read and kept a couple of articles in the J of A. On the other hand, I find the Arborist News magazine very helpful.

I RECKON YOUR BETTER OFF KEEPING YOUR MONEY ,AS NEITHER DO AN AWFULL LOT FOR THE INDUSTRY !!!!!!!!!......just check out how many topped tree's there are in your area or count how many hack outfits you compete against ! :angry:

So...how many production arbos have ever stopped to talk to the hacks and toppers? Bring them around to the bright side. Is it either organizations job, entirely, to be the police force?

The only way that "bad" treework might come to an end is through education and legislation. In some states or communities there are laws and regulations that are backed up with enforcement. Short of that, it's our job to make a positive difference.

If it's to be it's up to me :)

ROLLACOSTA said:
.just check out how many topped tree's there are in your area or count how many hack outfits you compete against ! :angry:
Rolla, the orgs did not top the trees or train the hacks. Things'd be that much worse if the orgs were not facilitating educamation.

If you have any good ideas on what to do, they'd be glad to hear from you!

No problem ,it's simple get our so called trade organizations to work with government bodies and and get the whole industry legislated, country wide [talking about the UK but this shouldnt be hard for ALL US STATES] and enforce the legislation it's not rocket science,plenty of other industry's are completely legislated and have to work to very strict RULES and REGULATIONS ,why not our's

In all the years, what have the trade organization's been doing ????.hack's are still everywhere most so called arborists wouldn't know how to prune a rose let alone a tree,and 50% of tree firms in ANY area work without any insurance,or any formal training ,i honestly haven't seen any improvement in the industry in the last 15 years

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back