ISA Test Information

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephynh12

Reaction score
I am getting ready to take the Certified Arborist Test in the mid-atlantic region. Can someone give me an idea of what species are going to be on the test for identification? Is it mostly native species or a lot of hybrids and cultivars or exotics?

Actually, the ISA does not have species ID as part of the test anymore. It's more biological questions - diffuse v ring porus, leaf / branching characteristics, site requirements, family - genus - species, etc. Study and good luck.

Actually, the ISA does not have species ID as part of the test anymore. It's more biological questions - diffuse v ring porus, leaf / branching characteristics, site requirements, family - genus - species, etc. Study and good luck.

I am glad they did that. When ya know that stuff, tree ID is easy.

I took the test in PA earlier this year. There is no ID on the test from photos, however, they do ask questions about certain ID characteristics. For example:

Which of the following species has oppositely arranged leaves?

A. Sugar Maple (Acer sacharum)
B. White Oak (Quercus alba)
C. White Ash (Fraxinus americana)
D. Blue Spruce (Picea pungens)

Hopefully, you all know the answer. It would be a sad day when a certified arborist got stumped on that one. Basically the ID questions are simple if you are well versed in the ID characteristics of all the basic tree species in the region (were talking oaks, maples, pines, ornamentals that even homeowners should know, etc) as well as the basic terminology used to describe the characteristis (petiole, pinnately compound, lobed, serrated, palmate, etc). Im sure you know the lingo if you are attempting the test but my point is that it really is pretty easy (almost insultingly easy) if you really know your stuff. Good luck!

just started urban forestry a week ago, gunna go with ash and oak, spruce doesnt have leaves or id choose it. i hate the 100000000000 diff species of the different genus' ill never get it.

I took the test in PA earlier this year. There is no ID on the test from photos, however, they do ask questions about certain ID characteristics. For example:

Which of the following species has oppositely arranged leaves?

A. Sugar Maple (Acer sacharum)
B. White Oak (Quercus alba)
C. White Ash (Fraxinus americana)
D. Blue Spruce (Picea pungens)

Hopefully, you all know the answer. It would be a sad day when a certified arborist got stumped on that one. Basically the ID questions are simple if you are well versed in the ID characteristics of all the basic tree species in the region (were talking oaks, maples, pines, ornamentals that even homeowners should know, etc) as well as the basic terminology used to describe the characteristis (petiole, pinnately compound, lobed, serrated, palmate, etc). Im sure you know the lingo if you are attempting the test but my point is that it really is pretty easy (almost insultingly easy) if you really know your stuff. Good luck!
Thought it was a coconut tree? no? They are a hard tree to id for sure though!

Congrats Young buck! Maybe next year you'll be seasoned and we may have a spot for you!

Alllllllright. I do need 15 weeks of co-op next summer. All my classmates are from the city so I have the edge of having a lot of saw hours on them. Heat your house with wood??? What are you talking about??? It's sad really.

Alllllllright. I do need 15 weeks of co-op next summer. All my classmates are from the city so I have the edge of having a lot of saw hours on them. Heat your house with wood??? What are you talking about??? It's sad really.

No i have a natural gas furnace, heat the cottage with wood stove. I meant with the course you are taking will have a lot more knowledge. We'll see if we can help you out with your 15 weeks next summer.

No i have a natural gas furnace, heat the cottage with wood stove. I meant with the course you are taking will have a lot more knowledge. We'll see if we can help you out with your 15 weeks next summer.

I was mocking the students in my class with the heating with wood comment. I heat my house with wood and only wood. Always have. This course teaches dendrology pathology entomology turf management and equipment operation and maintenance. January I get to climb!

ISA Test

I am studying for the ISA cert. test. I read somewhere that there maybe questions from other books/ study materials other then the ISA cert. study guide. Is there any truth to that?

That's what they say - only about 70% of test is covered in the Study Guide. The rest is supposed to be previous training, knowledge and experience. There's a list of other suggesting reading sources - or you could read every thread on ArboristSite and nail it 100% - lots of smart ___ folks on here. :msp_thumbsup:

I just ordered my ISA Study Guide. I am looking for suggestions on how to prepare. Is tree ID on the exam? Is the exam regional (if so, what is NC)? I ordered Eastern Trees (Peterson Tree ID book). What else should I study from? Thx--

Back