isa

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah yeah, speak for yourself. You pick a beef with a little man like me you don't even know who or what the heck is going to start coming across that border. I'm not looking forward to it. At least I'm the type of guy that looks up to you climber/Arborists I can only envy you high hog people at the moment; however, I have a 5 trees tomorrow, a bunch of rain, then a huge tree take down for 700, then of course no one leaves me alone even in the dead of winter so whats next? how about a little 4 door sedan. Take out the back seats and put a hitch on the back (for my trailer) for a secondary work vehicle. I'll Paint tree service on the side of my sedan . you like that?

Maybe much less a jack rag, more like someone that you should have hired and let run the crew. But oh yeah, ' he doesn't have a high school diploma because he can't sit still in school ' LOL Your qualifications are ass rags

Get off the bottle or go to bed. You aren't going to be fit for anything tomorrow.

Get off the bottle or go to bed. You aren't going to be fit for anything tomorrow.

ok old man. show me what your worker does and I'll show you what I do. What do you do anyway? I shouldn't be picking on you. you're probably used to climbing with some old basic buckingham saddle with the good-ol three strand hemp rope tied back on itself with a blakes hitch. :biggrinbounce2:
good night

Last edited:
I can sleep well knowing that your days of living high off the hog are numbered sir.
View attachment 280445

LOL, Im living higher than ever & will continue till the day I retire, Now princess what you need to do is post some pics of your work with you doing the tree thing with all yer illegal buddies, cause I think yer just a troll.....! No professional American would ever post the fodder you do! I think you`re a septic tank cleaner & the methane has speed up the process of stupid in you, as a matter of fact you passed stupid long ago.............Now yer just a plain ####ing ass clown.

LXT...........

"I keep my Cert only because there is alot of material for me to still read & learn, but I can understand why someone with over 20yrs of Certification would question continuing with it"

I've had mine 20 years and i see no such question--lots of new stuff to learn!

..........what are you really gonna teach that person? the one guy I know has just about any book you would want, holds his pest/herb license through the state so what can ISA teach him about fertilization?

Maybe not much, maybe a lot--the A300 fert standard has tripled in size; now covers soil management, for instance

& to add greater insult to the line clearance side of things they come up with EHAP training which is a complete utter joke...you talk about laughable, a 50 question multiple choice test a 5th grader could pass!

that's not ISA but TCIA that does EHAP; and there is no NAA or NAA test; again the rant jumped the rails. Glad to hear you got CA and it's working out for you. Indispensable if you ever have to testify. ;)

Cmon Guy, you know what I mean & honestly you`re an advocate for the ISA cause your hired by them to write articles, the A300 fert standard is a chapter in Penn States core/category testing study guide, even in its new revised form, pest/herb is state regulated atleast in PA so personally I think ISA should just leave that alone.

Ive busted yer balls in the past but with all due respect you are one of the reasons I got my cert, you got me so pizzed that I just had to see what it was all about & am glad I did.............BUT, when the NAA was the authority that test was state side & hard, very hard I doubt there would be 3/4 of the CA`s now if that type of testing was still being administered & that was the test I remembered which is why I kinda frowned on the ISA`s protocol being used for the CA.

And not to continue the derail but if you look at the publish dates on the majority of the books the ISA is selling, they`re old, they`ve been around along time, look at the CA study guide.....remember the gold version? then there was the Black version, now theres a new "high def" version, and each of the CA guides has diminished in volume, now theres no tree ID on the test so why even have a section in the book on it? yeah theres some new stuff & Cd`s & podcasts & what I consider to be more for the technology age, they`ve just taken the old, rehashed it, modernized its delivery & put a higher price tag on it all the while the actual knowledge & skills the person/credential holder has have been lessened so the cert can be obtained by just about anyone!

I like having it & take the code of ethics serious & will eventually get my BCMA to basically seperate myself from the masses who have a CA & IMO dont deserve it...!

LXT.............

Wow! Who needs reality tv with all this drama! Thought I was on a professional forum... Oops, my bad! As far as certs go... Get 'em or don't. I will, cause I enjoy learning everything I can about my chosen field. And having the paperwork to prove it is a nice bonus. I will agree that most cutting edge info is online and in the field not in a classroom. Sad that the cert process is behind the times. I just took a basic arborist workshop at one of the big training places. I learned a lot about what not to do and how to stay safe but if I want to learn about current climbing techniques and what's happening in the field today, I will call a local SRT guy and buy him a beer while picking his brain. Seems to be the best education for the $! Truly sad to see so many discouraged with their certs... How else is this industry going to get the respect it deserves? The future is unwritten! But we are writing it right now! Maybe the ISA is hiring and maybe some of you older guys can be arbor cops and we can fine the crap out of the hacks, impound their trucks and forever forbid them to be within 50' of a tree! I'm not being sarcastic. This industry NEEDS some oversight! We don't see hack electricians all over the place burning houses down. But guys are dropping trees on houses and other targets all the time. BTW that workshop I took... Some of that gear should be in a museum...the throw line(rope) we used was like 6mm!?!? Ok, now I'm being sarcastic but barely!?!? Sorry for the rant and long post, I'm new! And trying to learn all I can!

Wow! Who needs reality tv with all this drama! Thought I was on a professional forum... Oops, my bad! As far as certs go... Get 'em or don't. I will, cause I enjoy learning everything I can about my chosen field. And having the paperwork to prove it is a nice bonus. I will agree that most cutting edge info is online and in the field not in a classroom. Sad that the cert process is behind the times. I just took a basic arborist workshop at one of the big training places. I learned a lot about what not to do and how to stay safe but if I want to learn about current climbing techniques and what's happening in the field today, I will call a local SRT guy and buy him a beer while picking his brain. Seems to be the best education for the $! Truly sad to see so many discouraged with their certs... How else is this industry going to get the respect it deserves? The future is unwritten! But we are writing it right now! Maybe the ISA is hiring and maybe some of you older guys can be arbor cops and we can fine the crap out of the hacks, impound their trucks and forever forbid them to be within 50' of a tree! I'm not being sarcastic. This industry NEEDS some oversight! We don't see hack electricians all over the place burning houses down. But guys are dropping trees on houses and other targets all the time. BTW that workshop I took... Some of that gear should be in a museum...the throw line(rope) we used was like 6mm!?!? Ok, now I'm being sarcastic but barely!?!? Sorry for the rant and long post, I'm new! And trying to learn all I can!

Welcome to AS,,,,
Jeff

Truly sad to see so many discouraged with their certs... How else is this industry going to get the respect it deserves? I'm new! And trying to learn all I can!

I applaud your desire to learn, as opposed to many in this industry who masquerade as arborists.

The ISA is more concerned with generating revenue than keeping the bar high. Joe Public is woefully in the dark anyway, so maybe it doesn't really matter. The herd of aspiring dewy-eyed CA applicants can still feel a sense of pride and accomplishment for successfully passing an exam that gets progressively easier as time goes by. He or she may not be able to identify tree species anymore, but they are ISA Certified Arborists.

I hope that other organizations professing to be "professional" are less cavalier about the knowledge required to earn their ticket. There could be a bit of a problem if the veterinarian thinks Fluffy the cat has gills, or a surgeon gets the pancreas and spleen mixed up. I hate to see the ISA turn into a diploma mill churning out certificates to whoever forks over the $$$.

Yeah... Hard to pay a G for trainning and get sat down in front of an 80 pound t.v. And told to watch a VHS tape from the eighties!?!?!

Thanks for the welcome aboard Jeff! I got a feeling I'll be learning a lot here and in the tree from those who know the ropes... Guess learning is just a long process! Paying attention and a lot of doing! Sure is a lot of attention on comps...and not so much on the 30 people a year that go through chippers!?!?

True!!! No one is dying on reality t.v. Folks don't come home sometimes in this biz!

I heard a 9 and 11 year old passed the ISA exam?!?

The nine year old asked Santa for some Shigo books when he was five. He is currently the youngest confirmed ISA CA to date.

Some of the...wait, "Troll"? Some of the current trainning available has elements that, in my humble opinion, are a tad outdated. I want to be clear though that I would recommend to others the same trainning... Valuable knowledge. It just seems like given the dangers of daily operations the educational material could be refreshed, updated, and revised more frequently. It's a strange industry to enter... No degree that says you are capable, an apparently not so well liked certification process, and minimal to nonexistent oversight...huh? Add a bunch of hacks that want to cut down trees for nothin and let stew on the Internet for a few years...cool, slice, and serve. I'm just a bottom feeder though so leave some crumbs...

I don't want to come across as saying the material is outdated it just seems like...well I paid for industry training and it would be nice if I felt confidant I was receiving the most current and updated information available. When I am told to watch a VHS tape from the eighties on a vintage tv my confidence about the training diminishes. I mean they don't have it on DVD?!? DVD's are almost obsolete...let alone VHS tapes... What is the ISA doing with all the fees they collect? To be clear my training was not affiliated with the ISA other than CEU's were available. Not tryin to knit pick, but c'mon...it was a whole different world in the eighties, I know, I was there! It's challenging to get quality training in this biz..unbiased quality training...especially given that most companies won't even tell ya how to reverse the feed wheels on a chipper until you've proven you can drag brush all day. I was 2 weeks in before anyone showed me pooh. My very first 5 min with the co. the boss dropped me off, I walked into the ho's yard, and a climber yelled down to me to grab his rigging line. He says you know what "let it run" means, I say "I think so" he chuckles and says, "well, let it run!" And next thing I know I'm catchin a top?!? No training no nothin... Just hustle! Welcome to tree care! Needless to say I was hooked:)

LOL, Im living higher than ever & will continue till the day I retire, Now princess what you need to do is post some pics of your work with you doing the tree thing with all yer illegal buddies, cause I think yer just a troll.....! No professional American would ever post the fodder you do! I think you`re a septic tank cleaner & the methane has speed up the process of stupid in you, as a matter of fact you passed stupid long ago.............Now yer just a plain ####ing ass clown.

LXT...........

Ok. Here you go whine bag. Let me know when you think you're me.
[video=youtube;yxX1Ao6j8-g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxX1Ao6j8-g[/video]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxX1Ao6j8-g

Last edited:
The dues are only $45 for the year, but I don't feel that they are doing anything for me.. so I stopped the membership on principle. On the other hand if they had sent a letter saying that we are doubling, tripling, or even quadroupling the dues, but will be helping to fight the big fights, I would gladly pay and then some.

Back