issue with chain tension on 395xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tribalwind

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
hey guys'
could use a bit of guidance from you experts here
i recently picked up a 42" powermatch bar and 3 loops of 063 ripping chain from baileys. it doesnt seem tight enough :confused: , got the tensioner screw as far as it goes without moosing anything.
on my 36"husq bar it gets nice n tight..pulling the chain up the bottom of it is still inside the bar groove,ive milled with it a handfull of times.

on this 42" though, i am able to pull the chain out by hand sortve easily from the bars center,i realize its a large bar but that aint right,right? any ideas?? i'm still new to this and not sure what other adjustment there may be to tighten it properly.
thanks'
matt~

sounds like too many links on the chain to me.

thanks thats what im thinking too, i'll count the links when i get hoem from work.
i ordered them together over the phone from baileys
gave him my saw ,the bar and what chain i wanted.
ya think they did the math wrong somehow?

42" POWERMATCH BAR HUSKY 365-395 ---78.95
405 (3loops) D.L. 375 X 063 RIPPING CHAIN

This bar uses 135 drive links of .375 x .063 gauge chain - WP375 33RC or 123 drive links of .404 x .063 gauge chain WP404 43RC (Check the pitch of your chainsaw first)

Fits the following chainsaws:

< * Husqvarna 395, >

Last edited:
sounds like too many links on the chain to me.

ditto... if you don't have a chain breaker/spinner, take the loop to a dealer and have them remove a link or two. If you have that tensioner screw all the way out and it's still a little loose, you have too many links. It will get worse as the chain warms up and gets a little wear, especially on a large bar like that.

thanks thats what im thinking too, i'll count the links when i get hoem from work.
i ordered them together over the phone from baileys
gave him my saw ,the bar and what chain i wanted.
ya think they did the math wrong somehow?

42" POWERMATCH BAR HUSKY 365-395 ---78.95
405 (3loops) D.L. 375 X 063 RIPPING CHAIN

This bar uses 135 drive links of .375 x .063 gauge chain - WP375 33RC or 123 drive links of .404 x .063 gauge chain WP404 43RC (Check the pitch of your chainsaw first)

Fits the following chainsaws:

< * Husqvarna 395, >

Count the links. I ordered 135 and needed 136 on that bar with both the 066 and the 3120.

I agree though, too many links.

Mark

Latest posts

Back