It almost brought me to tears....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob95065

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
For the last six weeks the DOT has had a crew widening Highway 1 less than a mile from my house. The first thing they did was cut down all the trees adjacent to the highway. I talked to the foreman and he said they were hauling the trees to the dump. They bucked them into 8' logs. He wouldn't load my truck or give me permission to take wood while they were working but he did say that if the wood was gone when he came back to work Monday that would be fine by him.

Every weekend I hauled at least one truckload of oak loaded level with the roof of my cab out of the work area. I cleaned out the area in the residential neighborhood first then I worked on the southbound side of the highway for the remained of the time. This weekend I was going to start on the northbound side. It had been inaccessible because they had k-rail (temporary wall) blocking the shoulder. This week they removed parts of the k-rail so you could get in and out. My plan was to drop a buddy off in the neighborhood next to the highway. He would walk in and remove the cones blocking the entrance. I would drive in and he would close the cones behind me. Then we would load our trucks.

Yesterday I was coming home to see them loading the beautiful oak logs into the container truck to take to the dump. I was so upset I thought I would have to pull over to cry. I guess they couldn't wait anymore to start work. This darn day job gets in the way of all kinds of things, this time it's free premium firewood.

I can't believe they hauled this off and PAID to dump it when I would have taken it for free. My wife and friends keep pointing out how much I was able to get. I knew this would be a place I could post where people would understand my sense of profound loss. It hurts to see firewood go to waste.

Another instance of government waste. Thankfully the guy was not a pinko enviromentalist or some whacko. By turning his head he gave you unauthorized permission to get the wood. I personally commend him for that (even though his own supervisor may not). Be thankful for the loads you were able to haul. Otherwise it's a crying shame they let this stuff go on when they're plenty of needy people who could use the wood. I understand your frustration -- thanks for posting.

This year is the time to clean out the drainage ditches and fence rows. A few days ago I saw 3 piles of the trees burning. This was around my property on their fields. The sad thing is...the farmer knows I burn wood but takes his tractor and stacks them up and burns them......I don't have a tractor....but if I did I would have been out there picking the piles......but they're now ashes!

I understand your pain!

Sounds like you a fair amount of wood from this operation........

Sad but for every good guy like you that would never complain about the wood being dropped in his yard there are 20 that would file complaints with the town/state for damaging their yard. Or they would show up to drop the wood and it would be to big/long/(fill in blank). Or I thought you could cut it to length for me. Or it's not split and ready to burn? Or I want it stacked over there(imagine some horid cliff).

Anyway, those of us that would apreciate the wood and put it to good use have to compete with the morons of the world ruining it all. Sad times we are in.

Some times you have to think out of the box. Did you ever inquire if they would take the log length wood to your place rather than the dump? It may have been closer or even more accessible than the planned dump site. Often just offering something in return for their efforts can often produce profound results.

I asked the supervisor if he would dump it at my friend's place - nope it was going to the dump. You guys are right, there is a small majority that causes waste like this. He said that if something happens he would get into trouble.

The dump grinds up all woodwaste into mulch for resale. You can't pick out logs - believe me I've taken brush there and tried.

I figure I've hauled 5-6 cords out before it was wasted. I could have doubled that amount easy.

im sure theres some government contract they would be violating if they were to give away it all. Wasted tax $... They should have at least piled it up and put a sign saying free take at your own risk.

When I bring stumps to the dump there is always piles of logs they just run thru the tub grinder, yet the same dump buys logs to process for firewood. Kind of a waste if you ask me

Some times you have to think out of the box. Did you ever inquire if they would take the log length wood to your place rather than the dump? It may have been closer or even more accessible than the planned dump site. Often just offering something in return for their efforts can often produce profound results.

How about buying lunch for the crew, doesn't have to be too expensive. A few of those $10 Pizza Hut pies could buy a lot of good will. Maybe they call you next time...

A couple years back we had ice and snow storms that took down a lot of power lines and it took the power company weeks before every thing was back on line. A couple months ago contractors started taking down whole trees way back fron the lines. They usually just take a bucket truck and clear the lines by a few feet. My BIL works for the county and said the power company had to pay a multi million dollar fine for taking so long to get every thing back on line, so they went through and really cleared the lines. My inlaws live on an old country road line with Black Locust and Cedar trees, every thing the contractor took down was cut and left in piles free for the taking. It looked like the crews measure the blocks because every one I looked at was dead on 18". It's a good ways down to the inlaws, so I'd half to plan at least half a day for each load, I have an 8' dump trailer with the sides built to exactly 1 cord. On the other hand, my BIL drives down the road on the way home from work every day. Every time I said I was going down to get the stuff in front of the inlaws he said he was completely out of wood and he was going to get it. Week after week the piles on the road dissapeared, untill it was all gone and I never got a stick, and the thing that really PO'ed me was Neither Did MY BIL, Joe.

you would think they could set up an open yard where they dump the logs and are free to take/cut. heck,hire people to cut it up and sell it. pure government waste.

I was lucky! The power company put in a new line that ran beside my parents property. The tree service was looking for a place for the logs. I got 4 logging truck loads delivered to my house for free. It was mostly red oak and beech. I have an OWB so even the hemlock and pine got put to good use. I feel your pain though. It is a shame to see perfectly good premium firewood go to waste.

This darn day job gets in the way of all kinds of things, this time it's free premium firewood..

We just have to quit workin' and we could get all the wood....oh, wait......:biggrin:

Seriously, I understand EXACTLY how you feel; been there myself many times too....

Sometimes I don't know which is worse torture, having a great score hauled away without you being able to get it OR seeing a great score somewhere that you just can't get to (no way to haul it out, down a valley, up a mountainside, etc.)

Keep your eyes open and you'll see more-God provides for the dedicated scroungers...and you got SOME so you did okay! :msp_thumbup:

Another instance of government waste. Thankfully the guy was not a pinko enviromentalist or some whacko. By turning his head he gave you unauthorized permission to get the wood. I personally commend him for that (even though his own supervisor may not). Be thankful for the loads you were able to haul. Otherwise it's a crying shame they let this stuff go on when they're plenty of needy people who could use the wood. I understand your frustration -- thanks for posting.

Yeah Right Big Bad Government waste! its their fault for everything.

Most of these types of policies have been brought on from bad behavior by people receiving the benefit.

Who is responsible if the wood collector gets hurt or causes a car accident?

Someone these days gets a sliver collecting the wood and they want to sue the government. Bad thing is there are plenty of lawyers that will take the case.

Unfortunately its a lot more complicated than just giving wood to people in need.

gg

Amazing how bystanders with no knowledge of a situation seem to always be able to draw conclusions.
Certainly true.

People see things that make no sense and try to figure out who to blame. Sure there is stupidity and corruption, but there always is. I blame oil. The ridiculously cheap and plentiful supply of fossil fuel energy has distorted everything, and the effects extend all through our society, including our economy. Because we've had so much virtually free energy for so long, nobody pays any attention to it - it's invisible - and wasting energy isn't something most even notice. So rather than seeing that wood for the valuable resource it is, they see it instead as an annoyance to be cleaned up. Most people throughout history, and I'm sure many in the world today, would never dream of wasting that.

I suspect many will live to see the day they wish they had the warmth that wood could have provided, but they'll probably be too busy trying to find out who to blame for taking their lives of luxury away - even though the mirror would show them the answer.

Bob, you got what you could, be happy for that - you can't fix everything

Most of these types of policies have been brought on from bad behavior by people receiving the benefit.

Someone these days gets a sliver collecting the wood and they want to sue the government. Bad thing is there are plenty of lawyers that will take the case.

Unfortunately its a lot more complicated than just giving wood to people in need.

gg

This is right on. The government, us, has very deep pockets and is a target. All that crew has to do is to be seen dumping a load of wood in your yard, and depending on policy, be in a heap of trouble. Is Official Use Only painted on the side of their pickups? Are you expecting them to take a chance of getting a suspension, or worse, by giving you free wood? Would you take such a risk?

The same types that complain about Government Waste would be the first to report a truck dumping a load of wood in your yard. Delivering wood is not their job. My tax dollars being used for your gain, etc..

gg

I agree after all we are talking about litigation sue happy California here.

Sad but for every good guy like you that would never complain about the wood being dropped in his yard there are 20 that would file complaints with the town/state for damaging their yard

Don't forget there'd be 20 more whiners whining why didn't they get the wood, it should've gone out to bid so everyone had a chance, etc.

I have sympathy for the agencies with policies like that.

Latest posts

Back