It can do all that...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mike you really are a cranky old climber, if somethings new it must be BAD :)

hobby climber said:
Ever have a section of wood you've just cut swing back your way or something like that??? What do you do to escape that type of situation

Actually, I have been in that situation, and was moderately injured. It was due to my ropeman's inexpertise, and my not respecting that. I've since then made every attempt to respect that.

I don't wanna be a "struck-by" statistic.

http://arborist.************/attachment_16778.php

I've always liked the way Mike Maas adds his comments. He's one of the rare writers who can type words that come out with a tongue-in-cheek ring to them. He pulls it off much better than most others who crab. Hmmm, a warning for being honest? Better watch out Mike :)

I think that there is a small market for a break-away device. But I wonder how anyone will get product liability insurance. Like Mike says, if this device were to be used it would have to be used in conjunction with an approved climbing system. How is the manufacturer going to be able to assure that happens ALL of the time? How long will it be for Nate Knucklehead to go up with no climbing system, just the lanyard and have it release? Groundfall for Nate and lawsuit for breakaway lanyard. If this is interpreted as a wet-blanket, well, such is life. Teaching any technique that requires long lists of footnotes or qualifiers scares me.

I am still unclear as to how it actually works. I see the idea, but what does the setup actually look like?

Could you not just put your lanyard on a snap-halyard?

love
nick

Yall talking about the screamin gizmoh?
I worked 2 hurricans in FLa and let me tell ya every pine i went up was leanin and most was cracked at the base some so badly you could see thru um.
i could have used a screamin gizmoh 7-10 times. instead i used my arm to hang on with or loop runners.

My original idea was to incorporate a yates screamer into your safety.
www.yatesgear.com Hobby--hope this helps
His name is John you can reach him at 1800- yates-16
Hope this helps.
Have yall seen treeslayer?
We met from this site and worked the hurricans in FLa. Good climber safe to.

My lanyard can be released under heavy pressure, I use a distal/micro pulley as an adjuster. It can also be released all the way through because I don't put a stopper knot on my 18 foot lanyard. I am always aware of where the end of the rope is. Still I would like to see a picture of the proto type. If it is better than my present setup, I'll buy it.

xtremetrees said:
Have yall seen treeslayer?
We met from this site and worked the hurricans in FLa. Good climber safe to.

I haven't heard a peep from him since the three of us talked on the phone. Did ya'll make that much money?

Mike Maas said:
I was harsh in my response because even after expressing our concerns, he devloped his idea to include all the faults we pointed out anyway.

carry on speaking your mind mike, its an honest character trait that i admire, and indeed have myself
at least everyone knows where they stand with you huh

say it like it is

OK..., mike mass, As far as reference to my original post "lanyard release system concept...", I had Darin remove the post because I believe I was on to something. Kinda like if I invented the "Big Shot" and told everyone about it, there would be all different kinds flooding the market & I would not have a chance to develop mine for concideration. hey Mike M, that is a good idea for a button at hte bottom of the post that allows you to see related posts! TreeCo, I'm inclined to agree with you about the widespread use of this thing causing injuries to less experienced climbers. The same could be said if a new climber brings a chainsaw up a tree without proper safety instructions. Yes it IS an advanced tool and thats the market its intended for. As far as the auto breakaway section... It is adjustable (modual setup) to what ever strength the user wants it to break at! This way the user uses the same hardware (auto section only), and just swap its modual section for the break-strength weight of his/her choice. This auto section could be made with a by-pass making it 5000lbs approved. Again thats up to the company who will be producing it to decide. Not Me! Same thing with the manual section. This thing may get approved/developed or it may not ( its not for me to decide), but I still believe that it can prevent injuries or death if used in the RIGHT situation and thats the reason why I'm persuing it the way I'm. For the benefit of everyone. Nothing more , nothing less. Is much as I want to post pictures of my prototype and get into the detailes as to how it works, I'm sorry that i can't at this time as requested by the company who's reviewing it at this time. It was suggested that they may not finish with it untill the new year. I thank everyone for thier comments Pro&Con up to this point and look forward to hearing from others as well. By the way, I don't see myself as an inventor of anykind...just a regular guy with an idea that he believes in, thats all. HC

Here's an idea....

I think you guys might be making this wayyyyy too hard. Try this setup...

:cool:

love
nick

sorry, I was trying to put on a video, but my camera saves the file as a .avi, and this website doesnt' support that....only .mpg sorry!

Last edited:
Nick, you can ".zip" it; it will attach then. We'd just have to extract it.

Just an idea.

This is not an advertisement for another website, but apparently the .avi video clip loaded fine at t r e e b u z z.com I suppose if you hop over their forum, scroll down to the "Tree Free Zone" and find the thread called "Lanyard Vid" you can see the goofy clip I was talking about.

love
nick

Well, here it is in .ZIP... (more modem-friendly)

but it's be nice if we had all of our extensions back. =(

well. I have also thought of a way to release my lanyard in an ES. I have thought of my pocket buck knife, but what if wire core.
I would be intrested to learn more on this.

And now we're back to the old "do you carry a knife with you when you climb" thread.

I do. Where there is rope, there should also be a knife.

love
nick

Latest posts

Back