It didn't have to be that hard...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fearofpavement

Trying them all
Reaction score
So a neighbor I've done tree work for in the past calls me over to look at some pine trees to get some advice. He had a building laid out and wanted to know if the amount of roots they cut off were going to be an issue on a large Loblolly pine. It was very close to the edge of the building (about a foot) and since the weight of the tree was towards the building site I strongly recommended he remove that tree. It had been raining for days and the ground was soggy mud. (Georgia red clay). I told him I could take the tree down but it needed to dry up first as it needed to be pulled against its lean/weight.

Fast forward. He wanted me to look at another tree. They had built the building in the rain and the roof was actually touching another good size pine on the other side of the building. Could I take out that one too? Well, yes but it would have been easier to do before the building was there since it was weighted towards the building and there wasn't a clear place to put it as it was dense forest. Still too wet.

Fast forward to today. The builders were done. The building was complete, they put in new wood board fencing in several areas and NOW he wants the two trees down. Groundie and I got it done but it would have been so much simpler to do it FIRST and then build...

I used a Husqvarna 55 and a Stihl 028 Super. Both with short bars. I should've brought a bigger saw for the stumps but got it done. Used a 40' ladder, bull rope, tow strap, chains, 2 pulley blocks, wedges and Groundie in the truck to do the pulling. It all worked out but was a little hairy.

I didn't like being up the forty foot ladder either. Almost went home to get my climbing gear. I don't mind that height when the ladder is up against a building but when they're on a tree...

No way....i'll climb to the moon on a rope or bucket but you won't catch me on a ladder that high. I don't do ladders.

DD

I'm certain that isn't something unique to Muricans, there are plenty of Canucks who do the exact same thing!

I'll second your sentiments towards ladders ..... Thems ain't fer trees and such ...... Had the same situation with my neighbor this spring only it was a silly little shed he built it 10ft from a smooth bark hickory then decided it was to close ....... It's hard to be a good neighbor sometimes ...... Climbed it limbed it chipped it I kept the logs now in a year or so I'll have stock for ax handles

Jesse

nothing like somebody asking your advice on your area of expertise and then after they do the opposite of what you recommended they want you to bail them out

MERICA!!!!!!!!!
Also known as an "askhole" - contact you for your advice and what specifics needed then go do opposite of what information you gave

Oh h*ll no.

Edit--Did you charge him an ignorance & aggravation fee for NOT listening to your initial advice?
Well, the complexity of the job increased and the price did as well. However, from the time I gave him the second quote, they built more stuff yet and I didn't know that until I arrived on site. They only live .4 miles from here so at least my overhead was low. I was concerned something would snap off and perforate the brand new tin roof on the barn. It didn't as far as I know...

He fully intended to get the trees down from the get go, just couldn't wait on the construction to do things in the proper order...

Back