It is December, the ms500i watch game

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What day will the 500i finally get released in the USA? First 2 weeks?

• Total voters
I just can not believe they are still using their poxy air filtration instead of what the 441 and 462 has

There may be a very good reason Stihl decided not to use air injection.
There is. Sawdust is an integral component of their power output. That's why 99% of their saws have inadequate air filtration systems. Only one that truly works is a cutoff saw.
Stone dust and steel shaving make poor fuel.

There is. Sawdust is an integral component of their power output. That's why 99% of their saws have inadequate air filtration systems. Only one that truly works is a cutoff saw.
Stone dust and steel shaving make poor fuel.
[emoji1][emoji1]

Seriously though, anyone want to take a guess? I've talked with a few people in the know about the subject. I'll give you a hint, some are blocking off the air injection on their 562's. Why would anyone do this?

That's not how air injection works, the air comes straight off the flywheel, so cold air is forced into the carb area. But you're on the right track.
all I can think of is they don't want a pressurized air box to interfere with the fuel injection

A good % of the cooling air 'in a saw with air injection' is redirected to the intake, instead of cooling the cylinder. Stihl found the cooling insufficient, hurting long term durability, in particular larger displacement saws in demanding conditions. This is said to be the reason the 500i, 661 and soon to come 881 will not and do not have air injection.

Now to me this made sense, especially having dealt with the 550xp and 562xp. However I did question how Husqvarna got away with it for so long? Well I'm going to say because the older saws ran much cooler, as they weren't strato engines, and you could tune them the way they needed to be. Heat is one of major problems that has plagued early Husqvarna saws AT and strato saws. I think Husqvarna changed too many things at once without fully understanding the bug picture. Stihl made some mistakes as well, the 441 was rushed. After that Stihl went slower and made more incremental changes.

That's my .02

I'm going to take a guess here and say that going by how hot the new husky auto tune saws are running and even hotter modded, people are blocking off the air injection to get maximum airflow across the cylinder.

Not bad. I was thinking beyond 15 hundred. The 462 is going to be challenged.
Agreed....they even have a new 461 on the shelf for 10something and 462 for 11something?? To be fair, there wasn't a price tag on the 500i, but the saw was sitting there with a "sold" tag on it and the saw was sitting on the sales receipt - i couldn't help but look at it.....selling price was 12something, maybe 1239 or 49, i know it wasn't 1299, so who knows what the advertised price was.
In any case, I just used my friends 462 last week and was not big time impressed like I expected to be, so for another 10% in price I would sooooo jump to the 500i (providing it's not plagued with teething issues).....

Agreed....they even have a new 461 on the shelf for 10something and 462 for 11something?? To be fair, there wasn't a price tag on the 500i, but the saw was sitting there with a "sold" tag on it and the saw was sitting on the sales receipt - i couldn't help but look at it.....selling price was 12something, maybe 1239 or 49, i know it wasn't 1299, so who knows what the advertised price was.
In any case, I just used my friends 462 last week and was not big time impressed like I expected to be, so for another 10% in price I would sooooo jump to the 500i (providing it's not plagued with teething issues).....

With as much time as Still has spent/delayed this saws sale, it would be shocking if it wasn't perfect.

Picked up mine Friday afternoon, my dealer got four of them in. According to him they were part of a shipment of 1600 saws to the U.S. and they would be the last shipment for the year. I don't know how factual the info is, so take it for what it is.

They sure do. I tend to grab it once my 14” TH is out barred, overkill but love it

Back