It is December, the ms500i watch game

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What day will the 500i finally get released in the USA? First 2 weeks?

• Total voters
"Seemingly Lighter in hand than a 362" ...WOW!
I’ve not buzzed about a modern saw since the Ms200t (362c is decent but not worth a special mention) but this saw seems just as special as the top handle. Also mine runs with a 25” lightweight Stihl bar

Online specs say that the pho weights are about 0.5kg different, in favour of the 362. This is prob empty of fuel and oil? and I get the impression the tanks hold a fair larger volume on the 500 which would further benefit the 362. How a 25” light Stihl bar compares to a 20” regular Stihl bar I have no idea...surely cannot be lighter though? Too lazy to weigh them :drinking:
Having said this, it still seems lighter but that’s probably because of the power to weight difference...in the same way a Bugatti Veyron probably seems lighter than a Civic as it blasts down the road?!AADDD66D-B8DF-4F01-8156-2022932DA92B.jpeg434CC056-D3E9-4D6B-9BFA-2EAF2172E415.jpeg

I like that it weighs less than my 372. Comfortable weight for a 20" bar and keeps up with a Husky 395 pulling a 36" bar. That has to be game changing.

Having run one solid for three days I can confirm that these saws kick ass. 0 - full rpm is essentially instant and it handles beautifully, seemingly lighter in hand than my 362. Obvs I cannot comment on longevity but everything about it feels solid quality to me. We’ll see I guess.
It is available in Europe though so I would expect that if there was a generic problem it would be withdrawn from all markets?

Hows the plastic holding up? Reported here the plastic is breaking, at least here in the USA. Did it break in use or was it from removing the saw from the box?

The plastic all seems fine. I work my saws hard and don’t baby them, but I also don’t throw them around...except the top handles, they get dropped on their lanyards into branches all day long.
I checked the air filter cover twist cap and it’s very much more solid than the one in the Jonsered comparison vid above, as is the locator pin that it screws to.
I don’t know how old that video/saw is

Bad bearings, fuel mapping off, cranks failing, bad ignition modules, plastic breaking, etc. They have not run them long term yet.

The plastic all seems fine. I work my saws hard and don’t baby them, but I also don’t throw them around...except the top handles, they get dropped on their lanyards into branches all day long.
I checked the air filter cover twist cap and it’s very much more solid than the one in the Jonsered comparison vid above, as is the locator pin that it screws to.
I don’t know how old that video/saw is

And the bearings? Fuel Mapping? Cranks failing? Bad ignition modules? With so many things wrong, you must have gotten THE good one.

Watch out for the bar nuts, those that are on the 500i can fly off and take out an eye or two. :crazy2:

And the bearings? Fuel Mapping? Cranks failing? Bad ignition modules? With so many things wrong, you must have gotten THE good one.

Watch out for the bar nuts, those that are on the 500i can fly off and take out an eye or two. :crazy2:
Who knows, three days in is not much of a test period. First impressions though are good, fingers crossed it lasts. The bar nuts are captive; do they fly off when the saw is being used then?

The key I think is to understand why the saws are available in one market and not another. I would think if the saw was an unreliable turd it would be pulled from all markets. Also, Stihl seem very protective of their brand and it’s reputation, not sure they would continue to sell unreliable pro-grade saws?
Perhaps only time will tell...and I’ll use that time to cut wood and :cheers:

I was looking at the German EBay demo saws. They show these 2 revision dates. I wonder how many total are out there?s-l400-6.jpgs-l400-5.jpg

Latest posts

Back