It pays to be nice scored a 1621 poulan!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brent Nowell

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
helped my neighbor tune up his toro 2 stroke lawn mower. Cleaned the carb out really good and the jets, sealed up the intake and it ran much better. He wanted to pay me in booze and I said it really was my pleasure to do It, besides I don’t drink.
Saw him again the day before yesterday and he was quite upset, telling me his sink is leaking and he was glad he ran into me. Since I plumb for a living I went in his kitchen and saw that he was not hooking up 1/4” plastic water lines correctly for his reverse osmosis system. I had some spare parts in the basement and got it all fixed up for him. He thanked me again, offered booze and I said i don’t drink lol. He asks if I want money and I said no, but I did say if you come across any old chainsaws, please grab it and I’ll take it. That’s worth much more to me. He said he works with a lot of guys who have farms and such and he would ask around.
Went to bed early last night and he must have come by when I was sleeping cause the wife left me a note “check the garage the neighbor left you something”.

Well damn, that was nice. I felt like a kid on Christmas morning! What a surprise.

Looks functional, it was 4am so I wasn’t gonna try and start it. Compression seems so-so and the air filter is just a wire screen. It looks like it passes all particulates :(
Either way, fun times are ahead :)
Anyone know anything about this? I read a little before I posted. Seems that it’s a 3400, but someone was saying here on this forum that the Canadian model is actually a bigger displacement?

Attachments

• CF97D852-6775-4C9F-9226-E47CECCBCCE2.jpeg
    CF97D852-6775-4C9F-9226-E47CECCBCCE2.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 127
  • FC85DFDB-7D8E-4136-B3F2-455823E69B74.jpeg
    FC85DFDB-7D8E-4136-B3F2-455823E69B74.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 119
Ask around and you can find parts. I'm in the process of rebuilding my 3700 and several members here have really helped me out with that. Seems the oil pump diaphragm and the carb rebuild kit is the hardest parts to source. Haven't asked if you can find a piston at all.

Rebranded 3400. Canadian Tire and Skil came in the yellow and black. Some of the 3400's from out east came with the 3700 top ends. I've never run into any around here. No flocking on the filter could be a bad sign if it were run for long that way. Compression on those with a healthy top end is around 120. They are lower. Easy to work on. Carb is HDB and seals are SKF 6119. Gasket delete and muffler mod are straight forward. Although, not much to be gained with the large squish. Pumps can be rebuilt using nylon insert nitrile sheet stock.

All around good, solid saw. Gang in the Poulan thread have it all covered.

Rebranded 3400. Canadian Tire and Skil came in the yellow and black. Some of the 3400's from out east came with the 3700 top ends. I've never run into any around here. No flocking on the filter could be a bad sign if it were run for long that way. Compression on those with a healthy top end is around 120. They are lower. Easy to work on. Carb is HDB and seals are SKF 6119. Gasket delete and muffler mod are straight forward. Although, not much to be gained with the large squish. Pumps can be rebuilt using nylon insert nitrile sheet stock.

Thank you for that info!!!

Well it runs, tank was dry as a bone along with oil reservoir. I checked for spark and it was a nice blue so I figured let’s try it! Pulled choke, 6th pull and I got the all too familiar blubber. Then half choked it with the throttle slightly cocked and fired right up! Ran real nice with no obvious vacuum leaks. No full rpms unless choke is half way, all to obvious what that issue is no problem to fix **** like that.
Yes I couldn’t believe it but the Oiler actually worked, along with the Manual one that I tried before I started it. I wonder if this Oiler is using engine crank pressure or is it engaged mechanically behind the clutch?
Spur gear is well worn, the bar has a lip on it almost 1/8 high! Huge burr never seen that before... clearly the owner ran the piss out of it.

Chain brake assembly seems to be intact but the linkage from the handle to the inner portion assembly is missing. I only guess it’s a linkage bar of some sort cause I can’t see any other way it engages. Previous owner wrapped some kind of hard wire through brake handle where maybe the linkage goes to keep it from flipping around.

There is no sign of any kind of filter element left on this screen, right now it’s passing particulates as big as the square mesh.

Finally the rubber anti vibe mounts seem to be intact...

Gonna tear it down carefully and clean it up and see what else I can find. I want to fix the chain brake, clean up combustion chamber and probably make a filter for it with the existing mesh.

One thing I absolutely love about these saws are the dual manual and auto oilers! I wish new saws still came with both.

Can anyone tell me if the bar is original? It sure looks it, gonna keep that and see how worn the drive link channel is..

Attachments

• 00E3D50E-03BB-43CC-9AC2-EA9A0336DAEC.jpeg
    00E3D50E-03BB-43CC-9AC2-EA9A0336DAEC.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 26
  • 4731D83E-75E9-4A7A-8A54-18A1AADF5AC0.jpeg
    4731D83E-75E9-4A7A-8A54-18A1AADF5AC0.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 24
  • 6C24BEE9-A07C-49FA-9F23-3C879731C116.jpeg
    6C24BEE9-A07C-49FA-9F23-3C879731C116.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 26
  • 732DB786-4A65-4870-AA97-91FE64475D68.jpeg
    732DB786-4A65-4870-AA97-91FE64475D68.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 25
  • 9D27C6E4-18AC-43D1-B472-3DE73A899C7F.jpeg
    9D27C6E4-18AC-43D1-B472-3DE73A899C7F.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 24
  • 3E686C03-D9FF-4250-B214-01EE914A9236.jpeg
    3E686C03-D9FF-4250-B214-01EE914A9236.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 25
Really nice saw,these old Poulans are made to last forever.I have a 306A,a 4200,a 4000 and a few of the later plastic ones.Anyway the bar is a Windsor,not sure what bar they came with from the factory but air filters are still available.

Can anyone tell me if the bar is original? ..

Those Windsor 18" sprocket-nose bars were stock. Good steel. Clean it up and true/square the rails.

Many of those Poulans, smaller Echo's (452/601/701/702/750/500...) and Homelites (xl-1/super mini/76/130 etc) came with the larger 3/8"stud mount bars (equivalent to Oregon d196) even though the studs are 5/16". Recommend using the S-spacer that was stock to shim the studs out or equivalent. The larger Homelite mount bar can be made to fit a lot of different saws.

https://www.motioncanada.ca/productDetail.jsp?sku=01261448

These?

Also do you have a part number for bearings?

Any current husky clutch drums fit this saw? It looks similar in size to a 395 possibly...going to check and see when I get home

Bearings are done.
Got the cases apart, just plopped off with minimal force.

There is a bearing supply house in town, I may bring them there and have them sized. Unless someone here has a part number

Bearings are done.
Got the cases apart, just plopped off with minimal force.

There is a bearing supply house in town, I may bring them there and have them sized. Unless someone here has a part number

Those saws have a lot of lateral play on the crank. Can give the impression they are worn. Crank just slides out when you split them. It is the design. But, the brass thrust washers can wear. Aftermarket bearings are Torrington BH108 if you need them. And yes, skf 6119 are the seals.

If you are doing a full rebuild, I would head over to the Poulan thread. Lots of experience and input there. Service manuals etc.

0AD40E8A-75C7-41F4-B1ED-452D881EE8E6.jpeg 854C44A0-3DA6-4605-B2B1-9B4BE6C2A4F5.jpeg Thank you for that info. I did get the service manual, but it did not specify main bearing depth. I figured it out though, it’s 1/16 from inside case edge. There are three indentations that are in a triangular pattern that specify this. This is also the exact depth that the thrust washer sits in this recess.

What an awesome design!! Plastic gas tank, protected by magnesium shell. Non pressed bearings requiring no special tools to remove or re-seat. Needle bearings for maximum vertical load, I suppose the drawback is drag thus you don’t see them today.

A friggen nut and ferral hi side oil line fit to the pump and to the case!

A spark arrestor built into the muffler, much much better design than our current slip in screens that clog easier.

I love this thing!

Piston is almost done too, I seem to have scored a new one on amazon, it’s in the mail. We will see if it’s legit or not.
Crank rod bearing is still ok, piston pin bearing seems to have play as well...

Can you point me to the poulan thread?

Bearings are readily available at my supplier, but they only carry skf6120 seals. Guy at counter thinks they are updated. Anyone know if these will work?
Worst case I will bring the case and the crank in and they can size them up.

Thanks again for the help

Edit**

Did more digging, 6119 and 6120 are identical sizes, 6120 is a single lip seal and the 6119 is a double lip seal.
Parts are ordered, can’t wait to put this back together.

Latest posts

Back