It's a Pacific Northwest thing... you wouldn't understand!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gasoline71

SorryGary,Of course I have never met you in person, but from your little avatar I would have guessed you were one of those two sitting there in the picture.
Lawrence

Evan

you know this thread brings back memories of talking to this great old man i know, he was an oldtimer back when logging done with horses.. i had the previlege of hearing his stories , he was 80 or something at the time and had givin up logging man years earlier to chase the excavation buisness.
he finaly semi retired and his son took over the dirt digging gig but he still drove dumptruck till his lisence was taken from him a few years ago.
at the time i didnt realize how lucky i was i was givin something that money dont get to exsperince as his breed is a dieing breed. i worked in the yard cleaning equipment and doing odd stuff that a kid of 12 years old could do. one day hes pulls in the yard to add oil to the front axle on his truck and asks if i want to finish the day with ofcourse i did i liked him so i hopped in

you wouldnt belive the stories he told and after that day i rode with him everychance i could .
anyways to make long story shorter he is passed away now i visited him a few times before he left us but he had changed and didnt know who i was anymore.hes been gone now for about 5 years and it seems his kinda is just dieng breed that wont be replaced
Man I love stories like that!All the older fellas that did a lot of different trades way back are leaving us now.We better listen to those we can before they all pass away.
Lawrence

Last edited:
Wow that's a big cedar. I'd like to have been there to hear the boom when it hit.

You have to be there, even video can't catch it. It is felt as much as heard or seen. Maybe sometime I'll try to put it in words, that would be a pale expression of such an event.

Redwood1-1.jpg

Redwood2-1.jpg

The PNW is generally defined by the Cascade Range, find the southern volcano (Lassen?), draw a line west, and yes, the good part of California is included.

I'm pretty sure I'll never leave home or my family. But I wish I was born out there where you guys are. I love everything about the PNW. Or even the west in general. From the wild game to the big trees.

Oh well, maybe one day when I'm older I'll move out there.

AV, the longer you wait, the less of everything there will be. Trust me on this one.

I know you're right man. And that's what I hate about this world.
The big pine forest are amazing to me. There's nothing like that around here.
I see on TV the loggers cutting those forest and the stumps of the forest before that that the old timers mowed down with CC saws and axes.

Yeah, those monster stumps, kinda unreal they did so much with handtools. One of my missadventues in falling was second growth Redwood, the stumps and leftover logs were a hazard. The amount of sticks generated by second growth Redwoods is amazing, I think half their volumne is sticks, I was beaten black and blue. I hate sticks.

Hah ha, Oregon got cheated, very few Redwoods, just a few by the Chetco.

True. We've got them Oregonians beat there. Gave my post above a little tweak to reflect that.:cheers:

I certainly got spoiled growing up here. We've got Redwoods all over the place. Been hiking and backpacking in Armstrong Redwoods since I was a wee lad (and that's about 15 minutes drive from my house). I've even got some nice redwoods growing in the back field that Dad and I planted 30+ years ago. They're youngsters, and they tremble when they hear the Homelites running.................but they've got nothing to fear. They're taking over what is an OLD apple orchard................bullying them little old fruit trees... :cheers:

Last edited:
Got some nasty new snags this week as a result of Prescribed Burns gone awry (not us -- blame F&W). I left a few that fell across roads as roadblocks, rather than bucking them out, to discourage traffic where trees are going to fall. Once everything cools down, we have a BIG mess to deal with.

Great thread!

Brings back lots of old memories of Hiway 26 through Rhododendron, Oregon and seeing load after load comming down the mountain. My Scoutmaster was a scaler just outside of Sandy - he never was able to camp from April to October or November. Have seen that all of the mills are closed.

Remember being shown a tree that was too big to bring out in '39 when the unti was cut. Was there in the '60s and might still be there today. It was about 13 foot thick, when I saw it.

Thank you all for the trip back to my childhood!

Hal

Latest posts

Back