It's a Pacific Northwest thing... you wouldn't understand!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sawbones

ok guy's, Cedar or Redwood ?

I wonder if these guy's argued about a whip being one pound heavier than another
or horsepower difference. :deadhorse:
oregonbook.jpg

Man those chips on the ground look the size of cedar shingles,LOL!
Is/was redwood used the same as cedar is used up here in B.C.?
Lawrence

More importantly, does the mustache plug up or does it work to filter out the dust?

Why were those guys always dressed up? Didn't they get their good clothes pitchy while posing? I want to know...:popcorn:

Those guys are dressed up because they're Englishmen. You can always tell an Englishman, but you can't tell him much! Lol
Gypo

Man those chips on the ground look the size of cedar shingles,LOL!
Is/was redwood used the same as cedar is used up here in B.C.?
Lawrence

Pretty much, doesn't smell as good. Redwood splits very well, with the right log, you could get 4"X4"X20 foot rails split out of it.

Burv, our brawls never went as far as a true beating, you proved your point, and bought your buddies beer. No-one was ever left on the ground gagging up teeth.

I thought dey ver Scandihoovians named Sven und Ole.:)

Nope...they're probably FS employees. Note that one is laying down and the other is just leaning on his ax. Neither appears to be dirty from hard work. The one laying down in the face will probably cite the logger for not leaving him enough room to stretch out comfortably. :)

Nope...they're probably FS employees. Note that one is laying down and the other is just leaning on his ax. Neither appears to be dirty from hard work. The one laying down in the face will probably cite the logger for not leaving him enough room to stretch out comfortably. :)

One less huckleberry pie to make. :)

Your FS guys sound like our PennDOT guys. :bang:

Okay... I wanna give all the PNW guys a thread to post in. From the Redwoods in Northern California, to the HUGE Doug Firs of Washington and British Columbia...

Here is the thread where big CC's, longer bars, full and 3/4 wrap handles, and full skip chains are the norm. The Spotted Owl and the Marbled Murrelet can be grilled over a hot bed of coals, and served with a side of endangered Chinook Salmon. Wash it all down with an Alaskan Amber beer.

Where V-8's are turned into racing saws, along with V-twins, and anything else 2 men (or women) can drop through a 30 inch log.

Where burly men have logged big timber since before the turn of the century (not 2000!), and continued that tradition ever since. Just read the Art Martin thread if you need a clue. It'll take you a few days to read. But you will be a better chain sharpener and logging history buff if you do.

From the land of big timber loggin' and cuttin'... Welcome!!!:cheers:

"Never give an Inch"

Gary

Even though I live as far as you possibly can from the PNW and still be in the U.S. I just read this from start to finish. Great thread!!! I love the pictures and the history here. The weather looks perfect and the pics look amazing. I think I might understand, at the very least I understand why you guys are proud. I have a lot of respect for you guys in the woods everyday! I hope to join you all one day. BTW, I have a small weast coast saw. 044 with 3/4 wrap bars, large west coast falling spikes, and a 24" and 32" bar.

I wish you guys would quit raggin on my PawPaw like that!

Poor ole guy is 102 now. He even traded the crosscut saw in for a Stihl back in 73':givebeer:.

He said it took him 30 whole minutes to drop that tree so cut him some slack.

What is that 40"+? I don't remember what size bar twinkle wears.

I meant the tree in the road. I was guessing off the size of the saw.

According to the BUOL

I ran into the guy who is working on turning it into firewood. He supplied the following info.

Where he first cut into the tree it measured 82 inches in diameter. He is using a 660 with a 42 inch bar. He can do that cuz he's an old, accomplished faller of trees of such size. He mentioned the word "thunk" as in I was cutting through on the last cut and it went thunk and popped off.

I bet that made a lot of firewood then. Thunk is that like kerplunk?

Morton Loggers' Jubilee pre lawnmower race activity. The flag was just raised and the guys on the top of the spars had just brought it up. We were getting East winds. The wind direction switched back to out of the West after the sun went down.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3Yorj1LVDJ8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3Yorj1LVDJ8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Back