It's a Pacific Northwest thing... you wouldn't understand!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
old_hippie_very_old_hippies_1.jpg

P8080008.jpg

P8080010.jpg

P8080012.jpg

P8080005.jpg

P8080003.jpg

P8080006.jpg

I never claimed to be some bad ass, but this is why I think 440's, 460's, and 372's are a total joke to cut logs with. I always spend most of my summers in 32" and bigger Fir. A handful of 4 footers in this strip up next. We don't count the bark ;)

Looks like it's working out with the 660. Looks like some good trees there.

I never claimed to be some bad ass, but this is why I think 440's, 460's, and 372's are a total joke to cut logs with. I always spend most of my summers in 32" and bigger Fir. A handful of 4 footers in this strip up next. We don't count the bark ;)

Great pictures........thanks!

Those are some nice trees!

Last fall we built 11,000 ft of fence for a guy. Bout 4000 ft worth of it was about 40-50 yr old fence full of trees that we're prolly bird sheit when that fence was built. The birds eat the wild cherrys, sheit on the fence, then the cherrys grow.

I cut close to 1000 trees out of that old fence last fall. Took about 8-10 days. Most we're 20-40" thick. My 660 makes that work alot easier. I can't imagine doing that cutting with a 60cc or smaller saw.

The 660 has a place at my jobsite. I don't know what I would do without it. :)

Bigger is often better, my standard advice is always have one good 90-100cc chainsaw. It appears that the 066/660s fit the bill, but then almost any color big saw would.

Great pics and nice fir. You using the labonville inserts,I started using those 3 or 4 years ago love having no buckles to catch on the brush. Hows the 066 feel.

I love the saw. It's tough. It stumps great, limbs like a banshee and revs up quick and stays pulling hard in the big bucks, just what Burv likes :clap:

My first hot rod 390 this same guy built that I gave my Dad is about tit for tat with this saw, but this one hangs on a little longer on the stump, and has a little more snot. Plus the rings just are barely seated. I think this thing is gonna get stronger tomorrow.

It has a lot of work into it, the guy who built it is pretty good at the 660 recipe, so the told me. I believe it.

Burvol

Those are real sweet pictures you have posted up! Hope things are going better for you lately,hang in there and stay strong!
Lawrence

I would bet they would say who had the most horsepower in his arms back then. People's competitive nature hasn't changed, just the means we use to go about it.

Yep real brawls, the kind we enjoyed a couple decades back. Now a 13 year old girl can slap crap without leaving the house.

I've seen my share, participated in a few as well. What you guys didn't have back then that we do now is a few hulking, big ass bastads that are bigger than anyone you have ever seen, agile, and spend all their free time with MMA stuff. I have seen two or three guys beat so hard it made my stomach turn. Seriously.

Okay... I wanna give all the PNW guys a thread to post in. From the Redwoods in Northern California, to the HUGE Doug Firs of Washington and British Columbia...

Here is the thread where big CC's, longer bars, full and 3/4 wrap handles, and full skip chains are the norm. The Spotted Owl and the Marbled Murrelet can be grilled over a hot bed of coals, and served with a side of endangered Chinook Salmon. Wash it all down with an Alaskan Amber beer.

Where V-8's are turned into racing saws, along with V-twins, and anything else 2 men (or women) can drop through a 30 inch log.

Where burly men have logged big timber since before the turn of the century (not 2000!), and continued that tradition ever since. Just read the Art Martin thread if you need a clue. It'll take you a few days to read. But you will be a better chain sharpener and logging history buff if you do.

From the land of big timber loggin' and cuttin'... Welcome!!!:cheers:

"Never give an Inch"

Gary
Gary, just for the record, I don't think Art Martin was a logger. As you know, when a logger is a logger, it's in your blood and no matter how hard you try or how broke you are, you will always be a logger, woodcutter or timber faller till the grim reeper calls.
Art got out of the woods to be a fire captain and other health reasons.
I'll stay in the woods till they pry that Husky out of hands, or until there's no more timber.
Workin in the woods is the best thing that ever happened to me. I can thank the Indians for that as well as the Finlanders!
Gypo

Last edited:
ok guy's, Cedar or Redwood ?

I wonder if these guy's argued about a whip being one pound heavier than another
or horsepower difference. :deadhorse:
oregonbook.jpg

More importantly, does the mustache plug up or does it work to filter out the dust?

Why were those guys always dressed up? Didn't they get their good clothes pitchy while posing? I want to know...:popcorn:

Latest posts

Back