It's down (many pictures)!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why are they tough, I always thought they were soft wood? Or is it because they can be hollow inside?

Since willow is light wood when dry, one would intuitively think that it would cut like cottonwood or poplar. But it does not. Willow trees take up dirt and sand and crud into the bark and wood, and that is hard on chainsaw chains. Willow sparks a lot when you cut it. I was suprised at how hard it was to cut the first time I cut a large old weeping willow down. It had a lot of rot and some hollow sections, and was uneven. Lots of tight knots too. Once dry, it is very light (and hence its low fuel wood value). However, when it is wet, it is heavy and has a high water content.

In contrast, cottonwood is easy to cut, but it is very hard to split. It also has low fuel wood value. Poplar is the same.

Since willow is light wood when dry, one would intuitively think that it would cut like cottonwood or poplar. But it does not. Willow trees take up dirt and sand and crud into the bark and wood, and that is hard on chainsaw chains. Willow sparks a lot when you cut it. I was suprised at how hard it was to cut the first time I cut a large old weeping willow down. It had a lot of rot and some hollow sections, and was uneven. Lots of tight knots too. Once dry, it is very light (and hence its low fuel wood value). However, when it is wet, it is heavy and has a high water content.

In contrast, cottonwood is easy to cut, but it is very hard to split. It also has low fuel wood value. Poplar is the same.

Ah I see. I've only ever pollarded willow, and not encountered the problems you describe, but that would make sense seeing as the pollards are a good 15 feet off the ground, and are fairly new wood (i.e. not more than 15 years). I've burnt a fair amount of it and agree that as firewood it's not as good as say ash, but it's better than having to pay for firewood!

+1 ! Willow is the worst firewood I've used myself. Heavy as H@ll when cut, paper light when dry. It has a very bad "effort/heat value" ratio if you ask me. Compared to willow, poplar is a lot better. Although it leaves lots of fluffy ash, poplar wood is Ok for use in inserts that run only a few hours, and you need a quick heat.

Last edited:
Tree fell considerably before expected due to that and direct in line with the notch. Leaves me some junk in his field.

From the pics, I notice this big tree had quite some forward lean, and you could expect it to go early I think. I probable would have bored the backcut and leave a holding strap to avoid the possibility of a barber chair.

But it went well, so :clap:

Great way to begin the breakin with the 361. Looks like it will be the same as the 310 was, needs a couple tanks to get up to snuff.

That tree is a tad much for the 361 imo, but I really like that saw, so I'll shut up :)

Ah I see. I've only ever pollarded willow, and not encountered the problems you describe, but that would make sense seeing as the pollards are a good 15 feet off the ground, and are fairly new wood (i.e. not more than 15 years). I've burnt a fair amount of it and agree that as firewood it's not as good as say ash, but it's better than having to pay for firewood!

I haven't encountered those problems either. Of course there are lots of different species of Willow. My experience is that it cuts like butter and the only dirt, sand, etc in the bark is from logs that are laying on the ground.

People who knock Willow are ones that have the luxury of a choice. I wouldn't use it either were there anythign else available in quantity.

Harry K

More progress today but again pooped out at the 2 1/2 hour point. Only about an hour's work left but I bagged it. Hoping for no rain/snow in the morning so I can finish.

At least it will be down to just the 'fun' part of wooding next July when that bottom dries enough to get the truck in there.

progress.jpg

I've got about 1/2 load of rounds cut and will be surprised if they are still there next summer.

Harry K

Spruce Tree bites the snow

Here are a few pictures of a spruce tree I took down today. No where near as big as the willow but I had fun. I got just over a face cord from this tree.

Andrew

Trailer with Crane

Here are a few more pictures of the trailer with crane.
The crane is made up from a truck bed crane and some of my own inventions.
The lifting is done by a 6000 lb warn winch mounted on the back of my jeep.
I also have a hitch on the front of the jeep so I could use the trailer and crane on the front of the jeep for driving around my yard.

I am planing to mount a crane base on my dump trailer so I can move the crane onto it as well. I also have a similar crane mounted on my splitter for lifting big rounds.
Andrew

wow...someone knows how to not hurt their back. i need to figure out something. if hurt my back this much as a 16 year old im gonna be a log when im an adult....:spam:

More progress today but again pooped out at the 2 1/2 hour point. Only about an hour's work left but I bagged it. Hoping for no rain/snow in the morning so I can finish.

At least it will be down to just the 'fun' part of wooding next July when that bottom dries enough to get the truck in there.

progress.jpg

I've got about 1/2 load of rounds cut and will be surprised if they are still there next summer.

Harry K

Man... Your pics definitely look like SE Washington. I can't blame you for taking the trees you can take... There isn't much there lol. My mom graduated High School in Royal City WA.

Finished up today. took longer than I figured but then I cut some rounds after finishing the brushing just to remember what a shower of chips is like after 3 days of whittling brush. I kinda hope that someone now comes and steals the whole tree. The butt end is very tentatively hanging on the stump but not by much, the top of the log there is 6' off the ground and it just looks like a monster. The stubs where I quit cutting are already near 20" and will be well over that in anothe 10' after passign two crotches. Gonna be not fun, and very careful cutting, to work it up starting from the top down.

end.jpg

That's it for the season. Still have to winterize the saws, sharp two chains and grind the mushrooms off the wedges.

Harry K

Last edited:
Back