It's here!!!!............Inside the MS661

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Brad let me know if you need some more 32" Stihl RS - I can do $22 per loop for ya for the test. I can send in a Priority Regional A box for about $8 or maybe a padded priority envelope for $6...depending on # of chains you need for the test.

I would think the full comp RS would be best ...as I would guess it requires the most balls to pull
Thanks. I appreciate the offer. I should probably take advantage of that, since most of my chains are .050. I'll let you know.

you have 5 saws. IMHO, if your taking the time to round up the saws, and find proper wood for such a test, and the time to do the test(cuz it's going to take hours!! ...change bar, warm saw up, re-tension chain, check the tune, adjust/move wood over, etc etc)...you might as well use 5 new chains. One per saw.

If it can be managed, I'd use 2-4 different logs. Do 1 timed cut in each one. (log one probably smallest..."warm up log") That way the wood doesn't change very much. With 5 saws to test in the same wood, that would be one of my primary concerns.

I spent 3 hrs yesterday comparing 6 chains between 2 bars. This kind of stuff takes a lot of time.

Meanwhile, about that MS661..... We had our church's Christmas dinner this evening, so had to leave for a few hours.

This saw runs fantastic! I think Stihl has a winner here. I can't wait to get some run time on it. It was almost dark when I finished putting it back together. A slapped the same B&C back on it that I used last time, only to remember that I had hit something and seriously dulled the chain. As dark as it was, it was either run it like it was, or wait until next week. I figured a dull chain was better than having to wait. You can still tell what the engine runs like, just don't watch the cutting speed, lol! I am very optimistic about this saw! The saw idles great, has great throttle response, and is holding great RPMs in the cut. Compression is 178 PSI. This is only the 5th cut this saw has made since new, so it's not broken in at all really.

I'll get another video next week with a proper chain on it.

Ah, the old dull chain.

You've got a stock one there right? How about a vid with them running the same chain?

(CSFT #95 and #104)

I agree with Josh. With the array of saws you are planning to test, some cants made from that log strapped would be best. If your gonna spend the time doing this put those boys to work like they were designed (and worked over) to do.

36" full or skip on all is what I would like to see and I'm appreciative of your efforts. If you need chain, I will spring for one and send it. Good times!

send the saws to me, I'll do the test! Got oak and cherry. Cherry is approx 48" wide right now, but I can square her up so she'll fit a 36" bar nicely. ..can use the tsumura 36" bar and i'll provide the new RS chains.

I can get some RSLF as well.

Note - I have...

660R muff modded
660R Masterminded
661R Stock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back