It's here!!!!............Inside the MS661

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Same! I'm concerned that my Grandchildren will not have the opportunity to see the same trees that I know.

Heh, get this an eco freak group just got a North Idaho Town to Outlaw feeding Elk & Deer that were driven into town by the out of control wolf population (a problem that the eco freaks created) the deer were having a hard time getting enough food so the townsfolk started putting feed out for them, the deer & elk populations increased in health and number nicely and will result in a good hunting season, so now they are banning feeding them.....:dizzy:

more my speed..... this is the stuff my children are raised on.

or if im wanting a little edgier rendition...

grew up hearing my grandpa playing these songs a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug8p5pVsj9U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nea0gYKisUE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to6TjJdUSfs

Meanwhile, about that MS661..... We had our church's Christmas dinner this evening, so had to leave for a few hours.

This saw runs fantastic! I think Stihl has a winner here. I can't wait to get some run time on it. It was almost dark when I finished putting it back together. A slapped the same B&C back on it that I used last time, only to remember that I had hit something and seriously dulled the chain. As dark as it was, it was either run it like it was, or wait until next week. I figured a dull chain was better than having to wait. You can still tell what the engine runs like, just don't watch the cutting speed, lol! I am very optimistic about this saw! The saw idles great, has great throttle response, and is holding great RPMs in the cut. Compression is 178 PSI. This is only the 5th cut this saw has made since new, so it's not broken in at all really.

I'll get another video next week with a proper chain on it.

Meanwhile, about that MS661..... We had our church's Christmas dinner this evening, so had to leave for a few hours.

This saw runs fantastic! I think Stihl has a winner here. I can't wait to get some run time on it. It was almost dark when I finished putting it back together. A slapped the same B&C back on it that I used last time, only to remember that I had hit something and seriously dulled the chain. As dark as it was, it was either run it like it was, or wait until next week. I figured a dull chain was better than having to wait. You can still tell what the engine runs like, just don't watch the cutting speed, lol! I am very optimistic about this saw! The saw idles great, has great throttle response, and is holding great RPMs in the cut. Compression is 178 PSI. This is only the 5th cut this saw has made since new, so it's not broken in at all really.

That saw sounds fantastic Brad definitely holds great rpm in the cut well done :rock:

Makes me want one all the more....

170° Intake duration
160° Exhaust duration
110° Transfer duration
25° Blowdown
40° Case compression

How do you do much of anything that would drop the cylinder?

I like the intake at 85° on several saws, including the MS660. Some guys don't, but I have found that it works well. This cylinder was dropped .040", so was likely at about 81° before machine work. That is still probably the lowest I've ever seen a stock saw.

My transfer timing was off on my initial measurement. Once I began laying out the port work, I saw that the very front transfer port was higher than what I had measured. The transfers on this MS661 are tapered, likely more than 10°. I did not measure it exactly, as was only interested in the highest place. The highest spot on the front transfer was actually closer to 118°-119°. IMHO, 100/118/85 are some sweet numbers.

I'm gonna see if Chad is interested in putting this 661 I'm doing now on the dyno.

Based on the video, I dont think a 661 will hang with my 395xp. Ive owned that saw since last Nov and never cut with it. But today, I was cutting up some large oak logs that justified giving it a go. That saw is just Nasty! I mean just stupid strong. It was cutting so fast (with an untouched chain) that I felt like I was in The Timbersports Competition cutting discs. It literally took the work out of the work. My only complaint- a splitting headache, and my ears were ringing so much that an hour after I stopped I'da swore my phone was ringing nonstop. I'll be getting earmuffs before I cut with it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back