It's here! The M-Tronic MS261C is finally here.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now now now, lol. This isn't a whole new saw. It shouldn't be anything more than a new coil and carb. How that made the difference it did with the 441 is beyond me. Yes, it really made that much difference on a stock 441. Once ported, the difference between the two was closer. We'll just have to see. I'll be happy just to see it fuel these mods. No other saw that I build gets as radical of mods as the 261, but, they're required to make it run to it's potential.
Brad, why does a 261 need as radical modifications in your opinion? Emissions, ease of manufacture, reliability
...or??

see and the 346 crowd........ we grabbed em up b4 the 550 ever got a chance to prove itself as a 50cc contender. the 346 is just that good. to bad the 261 doesnt have the same following.:potstir::hmm3grin2orange::cheers:

I generally wait to buy something until it has proven itself. Unless it is a Stihl then I know I do not have to wait to purchase. But to each his own.

Brad, why does a 261 need as radical modifications in your opinion? Emissions, ease of manufacture, reliability
...or??

I should wait for Brad's answer, but I think (at least partially) its because the 346 set the bar so high. After all, it is the 346 that first made Brad "husqvarna friendly". Even now, nobody had delivered a knockout blow to the 346/2153 as far as 50cc superiority goes - some things better here or there, but nothing definitive.

I for one would like to see how far a 261C can go without de-strato-ing it, as I do enjoy the benefits of my 441C (strato intact). I don't need to win cookie contests to love my saw, that's why I prefer my 441C that has been soundly whooped by some 372's to my 390XP that has done some whoopin' of it's own.

...or??

When I bought the first 261, I built it progressively, testing it along the way. I wasn't happy with the results, and kept digging. I got gains with traditional port work, but nothing to get excited about. It wasn't until I gutted all strato dividers, from the filter adapter to the cylinder, that I got the gains I was looking for. That includes grinding a ton of material from the intake flange of the cylinder, allowing fuel to enter the strato ports. Basically, I'm using the strato ports as additional transfers. Without these mods, it simply won't hold the RPMs in the cut that I'm looking for.

I should wait for Brad's answer, but I think (at least partially) its because the 346 set the bar so high. After all, it is the 346 that first made Brad "husqvarna friendly". Even now, nobody had delivered a knockout blow to the 346/2153 as far as 50cc superiority goes - some things better here or there, but nothing definitive.

I for one would like to see how far a 261C can go without de-strato-ing it, as I do enjoy the benefits of my 441C (strato intact). I don't need to win cookie contests to love my saw, that's why I prefer my 441C that has been soundly whooped by some 372's to my 390XP that has done some whoopin' of it's own.
Sounds like what you want is one with the squish tightened, a muffler mod, and timing advance. That alone makes a significant improvement. I wouldn't waste your money on porting of you don't go all the way with it. I won't take your money for a port job that I don't think is worth it. This would be one of those cases. I'll be sure to include this setup in my testing. It would make a great value for the end user.

It wasn't until I gutted all strato dividers, from the filter adapter to the cylinder, that I got the gains I was looking for.

Has this been consistent for all Strato saws - the need to gut all the Strato stuff for big gains? Or can some of them keep the efficiency while kicking out extra power?

Thanks.

Philbert

Other strato saws have responded well with more traditional porting. The 441 runs fantastic, as does the 362. Talk to Stihlman441 about his saws. I'm pretty sure his strongest 70cc class saw is a 441C that I built for him. He has videos of them all in big Aussie hardwood. He can correct me if I'm wrong.

Just wondering... why is the 261c not on the Stihl website yet? (did I miss it?)

I have been looking to buy the Husky 550xp, (dealer nearby is getting one in next week) but I am not against waiting a little bit to see this "new" Stihl.

:potstir:I am certain both of these saws are on par with each other.... Right?? :potstir:

Right?
:popcorn:

Just wondering... why is the 261c not on the Stihl website yet? (did I miss it?)

I have been looking to buy the Husky 550xp, (dealer nearby is getting one in next week) but I am not against waiting a little bit to see this "new" Stihl.

:potstir:I am certain both of these saws are on par with each other.... Right?? :potstir:

Right?
:popcorn:
It's on the main Stihl site Chain saw STIHL MS 261 C-M with M-Tronic | STIHL | Stihl, Viking, chain saws, brushcutters, hedge trimmers, clearing saws, high-pressure cleaners, lawn mowers, trimmers
Not sure why it isn't on Stihl USA yet, I'm guessing those dealers that are getting them now have big time connections with Stihl so are getting them a little earlier than most.

Back