It's here! The M-Tronic MS261C is finally here.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hardly think so. This doesn't help their sales. If anything, it hurts them. It is what it is. They don't have to sell them until they want to. Honestly, it makes sense to clear out the existing inventory first. Us CAD addicts are in the 1% club:cheers:

I totally agree.

They were selling the 441 and the 441cm at the same time right? Maybe that then discontinuing the 441 made it difficult to get rid of the 441 inventory. Lesson learned?

Pfffft. You know as well as I do Brad that if these 261's were so good then they wouldn't need modifying...

I used this comment as an excuse to subscribe...

Maybe Big Gov will put a limit on the size (capacity) of chains we can run too.
A license to use and a waiting period to buy might be a good thing too.:rolleyes2:

I keep my saws near my bed. That way I can implement the "Castle Doctrine" if need be.
:chainsaw:

Don't even joke about that; living in MD I could see our governor doing something like that

You have it much better in PA

When I bought the first 261, I built it progressively, testing it along the way. I wasn't happy with the results, and kept digging. I got gains with traditional port work, but nothing to get excited about. It wasn't until I gutted all strato dividers, from the filter adapter to the cylinder, that I got the gains I was looking for. That includes grinding a ton of material from the intake flange of the cylinder, allowing fuel to enter the strato ports. Basically, I'm using the strato ports as additional transfers. Without these mods, it simply won't hold the RPMs in the cut that I'm looking for.
Thanks for the reply Brad. With my limited knowledge of chainsaws and two-strokes, this says strato engines, can rob power for the quest of better fuel effiency and better emissions. Yes or? In general terms here...

Last edited:
The suspense is killing me!

Also, when they say that the 261 must be sold out, are they talking about regional distributors or the entire country? Seems odd they would force certain markets without any 261's to wait for a different one before allowing the C to be sold.

It's only going to get better from here.

Today is the day for the 261C right? I'm not anxious....I'm really anxious!

Also, when they say that the 261 must be sold out, are they talking about regional distributors or the entire country?

That's how it had happened before. STIHL sells through regional distributors who have a lot of discretion, as I understand it. Some may choose to offer the models side-by-side. Others want to clear out old inventory first.

So a new model might be available in some states earlier than others.

When the 261's came out we worked with the regional distributors to find remaining MS260's on dealer shelves when the warehouse was empty.

Philbert

That's how it had happened before. STIHL sells through regional distributors who have a lot of discretion, as I understand it. Some may choose to offer the models side-by-side. Others want to clear out old inventory first.

So a new model might be available in some states earlier than others.

When the 261's came out we worked with the regional distributors to find remaining MS260's on dealer shelves when the warehouse was empty.

Philbert

That's correct, and it seems like the few independently owned distributors Brad's being Bryant
Equipment. Tend to keep less units on hand so they have a quicker transition to new models
over Mid Atlantic Stihl who has more on hand and takes longer to switch over.

Shop in Woolley had 4 MS 261 on the shelf plus a few in the back Saturday Morning now down to 2 MS 261 more will be there tomorrow at 11:00 am (+/- a few minutes)

I'm kinda waiting to demo one of the new 261 :msp_ohmy:

my saw shop has one on the shelf ,i didn't snap any pics ,looked just like the reg one minus the tag on the recoil cover

Last edited:
Back