It's Lyme Season Again

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do not believe it is restricted to one type of tick, and it really has nothing to do with deer - it's really about mice. And both types bite mice.

I don't trust the 24 hr thing either - it is a very small microbe, and once there is contact to your blood vessel then how long does it take? Clearly the sooner you get it off the better.

That is right and be careful not to squeeze them when you pull them off or what is in the tick will squeeze into you. Now that I am aware of this I would recommend
antibiotics after any tick bite! If you went through a Lyme infection you would agree.

I got Lymes Disease when I was about 14 years old. Had no idea until the forth day of a terrible fever which in turn had me up all night with heavy sweating and numerous boughts of Hallucinations, and disorientation. Finally I was brought to the Hospital where after Bloodwork and Several Liters of Saline, to rehydrate my body. I got a positive Lymes Disease Diagnosis. I was treated and was fine within a month.
I guess it attacks your liver, central nervous system (Brain), and can cause Heart Problems.
My Liver Ensyme levels were highly elevated which eventually after a long while were back to a semi normal level.
I still from time to time ( once a month or so) get totally weak and run down to the point of feeling like i can't hold myself up.
Now at 25 years old, I never let that slow me down a bit.

Be Careful and watch for what they say are signs (red ring around a bite), fever
I have always know that Deer Ticks are the Most notorious Carrier ( Smaller tick with Red back)

Fairly Common up here in Maine.

A good way of getting a tick out of you is to heat up tweezers real hot and use to grab tick at entry point. The heat makes them pull there head out of your skin.

Chris, thanks for the reminder. They are really bad here and we were even pulling them off 2 months ago. I have pulled three this week that had just "embedded". They zero in on the head and I still have my hair, so finding them or seeing a bite rash is impossible. Being diligent in picking them off is the only solution I see since their army out numbers us by about a zillion.

AV, I missed that post from '11 since i was busy building my house. Man I hate to hear that & hope you get better even if it is a little at a time. Unfinished God business....hmmmm sounds familiar:msp_mellow: I rekon there are a lot of us in that boat too but I'll ask the Big Man to send you some of his Rep your way:angel:

I got Lymes Disease when I was about 14 years old. Had no idea until the forth day of a terrible fever which in turn had me up all night with heavy sweating and numerous boughts of Hallucinations, and disorientation. Finally I was brought to the Hospital where after Bloodwork and Several Liters of Saline, to rehydrate my body. I got a positive Lymes Disease Diagnosis. I was treated and was fine within a month.
I guess it attacks your liver, central nervous system (Brain), and can cause Heart Problems.
My Liver Ensyme levels were highly elevated which eventually after a long while were back to a semi normal level.
I still from time to time ( once a month or so) get totally weak and run down to the point of feeling like i can't hold myself up.
Now at 25 years old, I never let that slow me down a bit.

Be Careful and watch for what they say are signs (red ring around a bite), fever
I have always know that Deer Ticks are the Most notorious Carrier ( Smaller tick with Red back)

Fairly Common up here in Maine.
Sounds like you still have it but your immune system is holding it off. read through the linkhttp://lymediseaseresource.com/Dr_Lee_Cowden.html

Couple of additional suggestions for some here:

Restless legs- look into trying a magnesium supplement? May relieve it?

Poor digestion, ongoing, from antibiotics - my wife has/had this much worse from a combination of coeliac disease, a bad sinus infection and multiple antibiotic courses. She has improved things with some of the "gaps diet" (google it) strategies, but she can't do it full on due to being pregnant. It is an extreme diet, but is healing.

Couple of additional suggestions for some here:

Restless legs- look into trying a magnesium supplement? May relieve it?

Poor digestion, ongoing, from antibiotics - my wife has/had this much worse from a combination of coeliac disease, a bad sinus infection and multiple antibiotic courses. She has improved things with some of the "gaps diet" (google it) strategies, but she can't do it full on due to being pregnant. It is an extreme diet, but is healing.

Lyme feeds on Magnesium that's why you get deficient.

One little tick that was in my hairline some 6 years ago was the cause of my Limes. No one belived me and the doctors told me it's old age and due to over working. Finally I was so sick the wife thought I had H1N1. Went to the ER and that was ruled out. I started telling the Dr about Lyme and he asked if I wanted to try the Doxycycline. Five days on the pills and I remembered who and where I was... The sad part is I had Lymes for so long, it will never go away. I'll have many good days and even weeks but when it hits me again, I hurt all over, my joints are stiff and I won't remember everyday things. Like many, I never had a red mark and if I did, I never saw it on the back of my neck. There is a lot of good infor out there about Lyme and the three different types that are carried by the tick or ticks.. The sad part is no one really knows the answers and I'm guessing that 75% of the people who got it don't even know they have it until it gets so bad in their system and it's too late. mikefunaro is right.... This could have been me.... Looking back, my dad died of several mini-strokes over the years... If I didn't know better, I'm acting just like my dad did. I'm good for a period of time and then it acts up again. One day I can buck up a bunch of logs and a few days later I don't dare to drive or even touch a chainsaw. Do yourself a favor and read all you can about Lyme and the other two that qact just like it.. Sorry I can't remember the names right now.

Bartonella & Babesia

Another thing that really bothers me is people claim it's not all that common and that the number of reported cases isn't THAT high...

But really the bar to have a case to report is quite high (originally it was rash & definitely positive blood test) and a lot of doctors won't even go through the trouble of reporting the cases...

In speaking to people pretty much anyone who works out in the woods or outside has it...

Way more public health resources should be put toward it, vs all the other silly #### they spend money on...

Another thing that really bothers me is people claim it's not all that common and that the number of reported cases isn't THAT high...

But really the bar to have a case to report is quite high (originally it was rash & definitely positive blood test) and a lot of doctors won't even go through the trouble of reporting the cases...

In speaking to people pretty much anyone who works out in the woods or outside has it...

Way more public health resources should be put toward it, vs all the other silly #### they spend money on...

a lot of people have it and it gets pushed off as many other things.

Had it a couple years ago. Was mis-diagnosed as pneumonia. Doc gave me a 7 day zpak felt great for two weeks then it hit me like a bowling ball. Ended up in the ER. Recovery was slow and I never felt so week and hurting in my life. Don't play with guessing on lymes. If you get any symptoms after a bite get it checked. Make sure you request a test. I had to they were looking for everything else. I remembered having a tic on me for 2 days before I realized it wasn't just a black spot. Was on my thigh and always had my glasses off when I saw it.

Summer time I do a full strip and search every night before my shower. If somebody had a video of me you would think I'm some kind of a weird fetish. I look like a bomb checker with the mirrors looking is all the places my head can't go. Uuuuugggg. But every now and again I find one. Got 4 off me last night.

I'm torn with a collar for my dog but I hate putting the chemicals in his system. I've already had one dog die from cancer I do believe was these chemicals.

Summer time I do a full strip and search every night before my shower. If somebody had a video of me you would think I'm some kind of a weird fetish. I look like a bomb checker with the mirrors looking is all the places my head can't go. Uuuuugggg. But every now and again I find one. Got 4 off me last night.

I'm torn with a collar for my dog but I hate putting the chemicals in his system. I've already had one dog die from cancer I do believe was these chemicals.

Dogs can recover from Lyme fast with antibiotics. The collar may help keep ticks away from you too by keeping them out of your house. I put the crap on a couple of my dogs because they were dropping dozens of them in the house.

I always found the frontline stuff to be decent for dogs.

I'd be more worried about super processed dog foods made with hundreds of different animals giving them cancer than anything else.

I'd be more worried about super processed dog foods made with hundreds of different animals giving them cancer than anything else.

China has no morals or ethics with dog food dogs as food or even the food we eat that is from there most people are unaware of how much poison is in it!

We find ticks on ourselves semi-regularly, and our cat gets them on him all the time. My wife found a tick puller device that works great. We are able to pull the little devils out all in one piece. Tick Twister at PETCO

I've got my dog on the Blue Buffalo. I've tries to find the most natural feed and so far that seems to be it. Yes, I do concern myself with what he eats.

Tea Tree Oil is a good Tick Repellent..
2:1 mixture with a Base Oil, Spray on..
Now, not using it the last few times, I have pulled many a Ticks off and out of me, brutal..

Back