It's time to clean the Flue.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I noticed a little smoke puffing back out of my stove door two days ago. The Wx man is saying we are gonna get up into the 50's today. So I didn't put any wood in my stove this morning. I will clean my Flue this afternoon.

I usually clean my Flue 3 times per year. Once before the first fire and twice during the winter. If seasoned wood is used this works well for me.

Keeping your Chimney clean will reduce the chance of a flue fire and you will also have a better heating stove.

Having the proper size brush to clean your chimney is very well worth the money it cost.

I'm posting this for those that are new to heating with wood.

I burn 2-3 cords a year and only need to clean mine 1 time, after the last burn in the Spring. My wood seasons 16-24 months before burning.

Last edited:
Any new wood-burning person(s) or installation should be inspected relatively often, like twice per year for cleaning the smokepipe. That's what the "February thaw" is for! After a few years with my current stove, I found I could do it every two years.
Once/year is current practice.

If you're depositing much black (or worse, shiny black) schmutz in the pipe, one or more of the following list is defective: wood quality, stove, stove operator. Attention is required.

Last edited:
I can usually get by with one flue brushing per season. Just want to make a comment about flues and brushes for the newer guys who may not be aware -----. Steel brushes are just fine for brushing out your black stovepipe , however for the stainless steel double or triple wall pipe a polyester brush should be used.

There is a reason for using a polyester brush on the stainless steel. The polyester will not scratch the stainless steel and scratches will attract buildup.

Nosmo - 998

Great advice - thanks for this. :)

We clean the pipes in spring after we're done burning for the year. This way, it's done and over with. Come fall we start burning with no worries.

I've been brushing the flue midways through, usually in December depending on what we're burning. Couple years back we went through a lot of half-assed wood, a purchased load that clogged the cap screen every month like clockwork. This year, we're burning good stuff. The flue hasn't needed cleaning.

I run 2 wood burners day and night, will clean the flues maybe 4 or 5 times over the winter.
Got it down to a fine art.
If , like me, you run them overnight you will get more of a build up because the flue will be a bit cooler and condensation will occur more.

I use to brush every year..then every two , now I check it every three . I bet it's been three plus since I've brushed mine..and I got less than a shot glass full of powder when I did do it. I know every set-up is different but I've wonder how people get so much build-up...green wood..choked down extended burns...never burn hot?

And for the record I have a 6" class A stainless flu and was recommended by Metalbestos to use a steel wire round brush.

I heat my entire house with my old non cat woodstove. I damp it down once the desired temp in the house is reached, overnight or when I go to work. All this talk about burning good and hot all the time to keep your flue clean is hog wash. It's just not practical with a set up like I have. Might as well go back to the fireplace! If I were to burn hot all the time I would have all the windows open. Why in the heck would I want to do that? I'll trade a little creosote buildup coupled with a flue scrub a couple times a year.
They should make it a law that you have to pass a test to be a wood burner. I'll climb up on the roof once a month just so I sleep better at night. It ain't rocket science! Clean, monitor, clean, monitor!

I decided to try a couple of searches on Yahoo just to see what brush is recommended for cleaning a stainless steel flue. I think after checking three sites the results are gonna be about like which is best Ford or Chevrolet.

As for me I am still going to use a polyester brush on my stainless portion of the flue.

Nosmo - 999

I decided to try a couple of searches on Yahoo just to see what brush is recommended for cleaning a stainless steel flue. I think after checking three sites the results are gonna be about like which is best Ford or Chevrolet.

As for me I am still going to use a polyester brush on my stainless portion of the flue.

Nosmo - 999
Chevrolet for sure. :D

Back