I've been bitten by the saw bug

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gixxerjim

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello everyone I just bought my first saw, a Husky 455 Rancher. This may be a little big for me but the local Sears closed shop and I got it for $240 so I couldn't pass it up.

Anyway, as a kid we were pretty poor and cut wood to heat our house. My dad had a Partner P70 that I was not allowed to use at all. I mostly got to load, unload and stack firewood!

Anyway now that I have a couple acres with lots of trees I had been borrowing my dad's same P70 quite a bit.

Any info on that P70 would be appreciated, engine size, HP, compression, problem areas etc. I am really interested in learning about that saw.

Also, I am thinking of collecting old saws. My dad gave me an old non-running geardrive McCoulough (spelled wrong I am sure) to use for cutting ice for sturgeon spearing here in Wisconsin but we ended up selling it to a collector out east and building a cutting sled around an old Briggs engine instead.

So any advice on collecting, tips on cutting and saws in general or opinions on the Rancher I just got, and information specifically on Partners and P70 models in particular would be appreciated...

Thanks
Jim

Welcome to AS. The chainsaw bug is an easy one to get bitten by. That's why most of us are here. I think you'll like your 455, and I wouldn't think it'd be too much saw. It's a higher end homeowner's saw, and will easily handle firewood chores for you. Keep your chain sharp, your gas fresh, and it'll last you a long time.

As far as you dad's P70-

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...e15520967d0fd4c288256afd004f9838?OpenDocument

Mike Acres has a great website with what has to be every saw in existence listed. Stop by and check it out.

Jeff

Mikes site is VERY close to having every saw in existance listed, but theres a few George blake has or knows of that Mikes site does not list.

Welcome to our internet madness site.Any thing you might want to know can be solved and answered here.You will find over time there is no spray that will keep the "saw bug" away!

Thanks to all. That P70 seems like a ???? good saw for it's day, or even today.

I plan on doing my first cutting with my new Rancher this weekend, looking forward to playing with it a little.

Back