I've now had my warning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cantrellc123

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Today I went out with my Dad to get a few downed trees on the farm including a nice white oak. Any of the trees that had good logs my Dad kept and I got the rest for firewood. We were both happy with what we got. Once home this evening I sat down in the recliner with the family. After about 30 min or so I noticed a cut in my blue jeans just about 1/3 of the way down to my knee from my pocket. I really didn't want to believe it could have been from my saw but I really couldn't imagine any other way it could have been cut,1/4" wide and 1" long. Needless to say I've now got safety chaps on the way.

Today I went out with my Dad to get a few downed trees on the farm including a nice white oak. Any of the trees that had good logs my Dad kept and I got the rest for firewood. We were both happy with what we got. Once home this evening I sat down in the recliner with the family. After about 30 min or so I noticed a cut in my blue jeans just about 1/3 of the way down to my knee from my pocket. I really didn't want to believe it could have been from my saw but I really couldn't imagine any other way it could have been cut,1/4" wide and 1" long. Needless to say I've now got safety chaps on the way.

Yep, chaps are a good idea. I also wear a hard hat, ear muffs and face shield.

No skin cut but it's quite chilling to think how close I was to that. Of course I'll tell you that safety was always on my mind today as any day I've got a saw in hand. Today I was cutting firewood out of multiple tree tops all together from a wind storm which is where I'm guessing this happened,not that it matters.

Exactly the same way I ended up getting chaps. Except I had little cat-like scratches on my leg. I had brushed out a tree and was turning to go to the next one and as I turned, I walked right in to the bar. Now, when I go to cut, even to test a saw, the chaps go on. I know me, and I know my luck. No way am I going to chance it even one time!

Ted

been there an done that! 3" high and 5" wide just above the left knee down to the last layer before the tendons and bone(LOOKED LIKE A VEAL CUTTLET ON THE OR TABLE, MISSING OF COURSE"! never again my eyes say! but the brain says no? so how do you argue with a "BRAIN" when you don't have one!?!?!????? it will happen when you least expect it on "Monday afternoon or Friday quitting time" ....... and don't ask how I know more than twicet....lol dammed "BRAIN" !!o_O:chainsaw:

I always wear my chaps when running a saw, I thought ahead and bought my chaps after I got used to cutting with a chainsaw.
I figured I new what I was doing running a saw, that's when I decided it was time for safety gear.

We all know what happens when we think we know what we're doing.

I was cutting logs and was literally making the final cut of the day when I pinched the saw. Grabbed another saw, drop started it steped over a log while lowering the saw to make an undercut to free the saw and put a 4+ inch gash across the right knee that took 30 stitches to close.

I was cutting logs and was literally making the final cut of the day when I pinched the saw. Grabbed another saw, drop started it steped over a log while lowering the saw to make an undercut to free the saw and put a 4+ inch gash across the right knee that took 30 stitches to close.
LOL !YOU JUST HAD TO BRING BACK HAPPY MEMORIES DIDNT YOU???? LOL "NOW YOUR ON MY **** LIST FOR NO BEER" WHILE IM DRINKING A COLD ONE TO FORGET?? ?? what am I drinking a beer for????????????

Been taking up a few new activities lately as well as running saws more again. Most safety gear I have ever used running a saw was safety glasses, blue jeans, and moderately heavy leather boots. Been buying safety gear for some other activities and been thinking for a few months it is time to buy chaps and either start wearing the headgear I already own or buy some chainsaw specific gear.

Sure is hot down here to wear all that stuff! On the other hand I just got the bill for three or four hours waiting in the hospital and fifteen minutes surgery to replace a battery pack just under my skin. Hospital alone, $71,000! That ain't a typo and thousands more the doctors billed. Insurance covers some of it. It's pretty much official, 2014 is gonna suck! This is just to say aside from the fact chainsaws remove a lot of meat, bone, and connective tissue when you make mistakes without protection, the bills are almost unbelievable for a few hours at a hospital now! Protective equipment and safe practices don't mean we can't get injured but we can minimize any damage.

Hu

Made myself a promise that I will never run the saw without chaps and plan to stick to it. Helmet with face shield and Kevlar gloves as well. Also have a pair of mattherhorns chainsaw boots on the way.
Just too hard to fix body parts due to the lack of protective gear. Saws are no joke and you can get badly hurt in an instant. Need to do everything in your power to minimize a mishap.

Nothing against safety. Just personal stories. But just like I don't wear a bulletproof vest when I hunt, I don't wear chaps for the few times I actually get a chance to cut. Keeping the muzzle in a safe direction applies to keeping a spinning chain in the same orientation. For me, bucking firewood on the ground, I have time and safety on my side. So I can be extra cautious. However, for fellers who have to worry about watching the tree, watching for widow makers, and making quick changes during the cut, it's a completely different story. I wouldn't want to have to worry about cutting my legs while calculating all my other moves. Just like if I was in battle, I'd have a vest on. But sitting in a treestand or target shooting at the range doesn't warrant a chest plate.

So I would say it definitely depends on the job you're doing and how comfortable you are with that piece of equipment, in that certain environment. And when first-timers ask, I always recommend safety gear.

Hope I make sense. The last thing I would say is not to wear protection. These are just the reasons why I don't. Though I fully expect to get quickly lambasted for my ramblings :)

Latest posts

Back