John Deere CS56 or CS62, r these saws worth their salt

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll agree that the Efco saws aren't the most stylishly designed, but who gives a turd? If they work and last and cut then they are good. As for short on features- name what they are missing! 2 ring pistons, comp release, etc...what do you need, built in HDTV?

Side chain tension would be nice on 156-165 line.
Clip topcover would be nice.
Better design on carb/filter boots would be nice.
Heated handles would be nice.
Lose the peak on starter side.

These things are by no means deal breakers, but do make for a nicer saw.

i've never really understood the big deal concerning side chain tensioners. i turn my saw off to tension the chain anyway. what diff does it make whether you turn the direct drive front tensioner or the worm gear side tensioner. what am i missing?

i've never really understood the big deal concerning side chain tensioners. i turn my saw off to tension the chain anyway. what diff does it make whether you turn the direct drive front tensioner or the worm gear side tensioner. what am i missing?

Try using a front tensioner when your saw is stuck in a tree. Got many stihls out of being stuck by backing off tension and removing the saw from the bar, leaving only the bar in the tree as I push it over with the skidder.

Probably zilch if you cut wood the short way.

If you mount the saw in an Alaskan Mark III it makes a big difference. Also the side tends to stay cleaner.

Try using a front tensioner when your saw is stuck in a tree. Got many stihls out of being stuck by backing off tension and removing the saw from the bar, leaving only the bar in the tree as I push it over with the skidder.

Probably zilch if you cut wood the short way.

If you mount the saw in an Alaskan Mark III it makes a big difference. Also the side tends to stay cleaner.

both answers satisfy my curiosity. dang. learned something new today. thanks both

John Deere CS56 & 62 Cylinders?

Is the CS56 & 62 Cylinders interchangable? got a CS56 with a toasted
Jug & Piston, Was wondering if anyone tried mounting 62 Cylinder onto
56 Case? Done some Research looking @ both Deere IPL'S. Besides
Igntion system differences, possible carb change? most of part No#s match
between the 2 identical "SAME PART" numbered cases.

Been tossing the idea around for awhile, but not committed to it because of the
fact their may be a hidden difference the IPL isnt telling you. Let alone the
cost of jug kit and finding out it dont work.

But im willing to take the risk, just wanted some imput before i make my
decision.

I would not hesitate on an efco 956 or 962 saw. When my dad (retired) goes to thin the woodlot or cut firewood he takes the CS 56 or CS 62 John Deere and the MS 361 and Husky 359 are sitting in the garage all shined up photo op ready. They are all stock saws and when asked he'll tell you "they start ALL THE TIME and run like hell all day long that is why I use um".

Wow

I really appreicate the imput from everyone, Gives me a little more reinsurance in repairing this saw with a 62 Cylinder. I photo shoot these type of prodjects.
Just cant let this saw it goto waste. It gets used by the family quite bit until
now, after my brother brung it back with the current damage, Dad was not happy So he is fliping for the bill.

im not familiar with those saws but I do know that john deere bought out homelite .

These aren't related to the Homelite ones lately made. Deere has also divested themselves of that division. As of now, the only OPE sold in Deere stores is NOS and Stihl, if the dealership chooses to carry them.

A 962 cylinder should also work on 156 frame? being from the same Efco/ OlyMac
Family. differences being cosmetic as Starter and Air Filter & Plastic Cover over Jug?

efco 162 or 156

I am looking for an efco 156 or preferably 162 if they are available. I dont know how old this posting is. I cant find any 162s or 962s I assume they're the same. I would like to find one for sale. Thanks greg54

I am looking for an efco 156 or preferably 162 if they are available. I dont know how old this posting is. I cant find any 162s or 962s I assume they're the same. I would like to find one for sale. Thanks greg54
Bailey's and Chainsawr.com, AS Sponsors sell new Efco's, among others. Older Olympics on CL and Fleabay.

Back