johnsred, saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cabinman

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
A friend of a friend of mine loaned me this saw,.. A cs 2137, I dont want 2abuse the privlage,..But its been here 2 mos now, and, has not cut anything yet,..Is, this a real saw, or a puppy,..?. Id like 2 try it, But dont want to judge the puppy line,.And judge all other jons accordingly,.. It looks kinda puppy like,. I,.Dont know jons, at all, And wood like 2 hear from people who own one,... Iam a sthil guy, ,

It's a 42cc saw. Good size (IMO) for trimming trees around the yard, but it isn't a firewood saw. I wouldn't want to cut anything bigger than 10" with it. Probably works fine for the small stuff.

Ian

Cabinman

I have had 6 Jonsered saws. I currently own 4 and a big Husqvarna. I highly reccommend them. My saws have neen great. I can say that I have never owned a saw that small but I'm pretty sure that it is of decent quality. If you are considering a Jonsered and cut any amount of firewood, try a Jonsered 2171. It is a great saw. Husky and Stihl also make great saws but I am really partial to Jonsered.

Thanks

Ok,..,thank you guys for the feed back, Iam gona give er a spin as soon as I put the chain on in the right direction, Ive got a sthil 180 farm boss and really like it Its a real saw, BARKS like a puppy, Bites like a DOG, kinda, I might try to buy this 2137 ,..it would be a nice fit between my 180 , 038 and 117 sacks/dolmar,

I'm on my second Johnny Red in 30+ years.1st got stolen. Never gave a lick of trouble.I think though that Husky owns them now or visa versa? No matter,I still like red.

Yes Electrolux does own them and Husqvarna and Jonsered are basically the same saw (made in Sweden)

I have run a lot of J-red's, but all man size saws 60cc and better. I have never heard a bad word about them and have never had a bad experience with one. I have cut hundreds of cords of wood with them. Jonsered 670 was my starter saw at 12 years old. 625, 630, 920, 2077, 2083, 2165, 2171, I have pounded them all. If I was going to buy a new saw it would be a J-red 2171. The finest saw out for the money in my opinion. I love that saw. In the mean time I will keep buying used Husky's off of my dad at a fraction of the price. Don't let that kid's saw skew your opinion of Jonsered. I don't know what it is but Jonny's seem to be a little more reliable than Husky's in my experience, which I have run Husky's line top to bottom.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with a nice little limbing saw, and Jreds is a better choice than many.
You'll appreciate the smaller saws the older that you get. You don't need a Mack truck to haul a bag of groceries.

I agree with you 100%. 2171 is a great saw
I have run a lot of J-red's, but all man size saws 60cc and better. I have never heard a bad word about them and have never had a bad experience with one. I have cut hundreds of cords of wood with them. Jonsered 670 was my starter saw at 12 years old. 625, 630, 920, 2077, 2083, 2165, 2171, I have pounded them all. If I was going to buy a new saw it would be a J-red 2171. The finest saw out for the money in my opinion. I love that saw. In the mean time I will keep buying used Husky's off of my dad at a fraction of the price. Don't let that kid's saw skew your opinion of Jonsered. I don't know what it is but Jonny's seem to be a little more reliable than Husky's in my experience, which I have run Husky's line top to bottom.

I bleed red . . . okay, so not a lotta pun there, but anyway, Ive always owned jonsered, my two current saws are a 670 CHAMP and a 2171 turbo. That 2171 is a monster, but to be honest I find myself using the 670 quite a bit yet. Its low speed offers a considerable amount of torque.

Latest posts

Back