Jondered 2171...Thinking of buying

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tazz001

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey Chainsaws gurus...my dear hubby is thinking of trading in his 10 yr old Jonny saw 670 for a new 2171 and I want some input before he does something crazy...

So what are the pros n cons on these newer Jonsered saws...give me the good the bad n the ugly

Thanks!!

Send that 670 my way - I'd pay for it of course.

As for the 2171 - it's a great saw, hands down - the sister saw to the now legendary Husky 372XP. You can't go wrong - a professional grade unit that will provide you with years of service when properly maintained. BUY IT!

Josh

Yep, the 2171 is basically the same as the 372xp, as the 670 Super/Champ was basically the same as the 268xp. All these saws were/are made by Husqvarna----:greenchainsaw:

A 2171 will be a slight upgrade, but are you sure that the 10 yo Jred is a goner.....

I would keep it as a backup,

Last edited:
Since the 670 has been our "workhorse" for 10 years and our local Jred dealer will give us a nice $$ amount for trade in it's time to let her go. As of today it has cut up about 3/4 of a triaxle load of logs. Poor tired out thing has given us years of great service but 400 or so cords of firewood scares the BeJesus outta me. Better tog et decent $$ as a trade than just $150 for the "bag it" trade as I have a clunker for that;)

And out back up saw is a 2095 Jonny but hubby says its a bear to run and handle...not to mention he77 on my ears...;) and also have a 625 Jonny that BIL left with us eons ago that is like new.

Thanks for the input chainsaw gurus:bowdown: :bowdown: I knew if anyone would give the good, bad n ugly it would be here!!

I've got two 372's and one 2071. (2071 is older version of the 2171, but doesn't have the side chain adjuster or semi transparent fuel tank). I love them. They are great firewood saws with 20-24" bars. They are light enough to run all day and not kill you. They have superior air filtration to the older 670's and 625's. They will handle a bigger bar with ease if needed. Good choice, that is for sure.

only the possiblly better saw out there is the Dolmar 7900. It has a tad more grunt for about a half of pound more in weight than the 372/2171.

Good luck with the new saw.

tazz001 said:
Since the 670 has been our "workhorse" for 10 years and our local Jred dealer will give us a nice $$ amount for trade in it's time to let her go. As of today it has cut up about 3/4 of a triaxle load of logs. Poor tired out thing has given us years of great service but 400 or so cords of firewood scares the BeJesus outta me. Better tog et decent $$ as a trade than just $150 for the "bag it" trade as I have a clunker for that;)

She listed it on eBay...her description there doesn't quite give the impression that the saw is a "poor tired out thing" like listed above. Hmmmm.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Jonsered-670-CHAMP-extras-EXC-Husqvarna-Stihl-625-630_W0QQitemZ220043523780QQihZ012QQcategoryZ20538QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

pros / cons 2171

I have been exposed to the Jonsered 2171 Turbo for the last three years - both falling and bucking. Let us compare to another brand... the MS460 by Stihl.

Weight - 2171 is comfortable balance with .404" chain and 24" - near perfect. It is tip-heavy with a 3/8" chain and 28" bar I find the 460 does have a heavier power head with a top heavy feel.

While the power of the 460 does exceed the 2171, it is only slight and only regular users will notice the difference.

Reliability - both saw are dependable and easy to maintain, both at a service shop and in the bush. Parts for both are easily found, even in the most remote town.

My neighbour is a Stihl user - I am a Jonsered user - we cut firewood on the weekends - I see the 460 in action at work and during recreation - same for the 2171. YES, his 460 Mod does out cut my factory defaulted 2171 in the firewood contest, the 2171 is a fine saw, used by professionals.

Entire logging crews will side with one brand or another for overall convenience.

2171 direct con - cost of immediate upgrade - the Oregon bar supplied with most Jonsered, in my opinion, should be upgraded to a Cannon bar, unfortunately an initial higher cost, but well worth the price.

Take your pick.

In short, I recommend both saws - they're cost comparable at $1209 (2171) and $1100 (460).

Eppleton

Back