Jonsered 2045 - stuck at high idle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mill_wannabe

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I fired up my Jonsered 2045 Turbo for the first time this year, and it starts but immediately goes to a high idle and stays there. I'm thinking the ethanol from old fuel left over the winter has eaten something.

Any suggestions on where to start looking for the issue? The saw was great when I last used it last year. I shut it down right away in case I have a lean condition.

My 2050 Turbo is doing a similar thing. I rebuilt the carb last year and it was running pretty good. It was running pretty good earlier this spring too but all of a sudden it would not run right at all, similar symptoms to yours. I took the carb off and cleaned it out but no difference. I'm going to get another rebuild kit but not convinced it will help, I hope it will. I needed new fuel lines 3 or 4 years ago so check that and a new fuel filter probably can't hurt.

I have had repeated carb issues with that saw even with Star Tron enzyme additive to fight ethanol and Stihl full synthetic oil mix. I'm not really sure the Star Tron is doing anything but everyone around here says it helps a lot. I didn't run it as often over the winter this year so that might be part of the problem but it ran fine earlier this spring so maybe something came loose and clogged it up. I also was not running high octane fuel so that was a mistake on my part which might have contributed to it. A couple of saw guys have said the Zama carb on mine is not very good but I don't know if that's accurate.

I got fed up and just bought a new Husky 346XP but I am going to try and get my old J-red running again. Too nice a saw to give up on completely just yet.

If I figure it out I will let you know, maybe it will help your situation.

Are you saying the saw won't come off high idle, or it is idling high despite adjustment? If it is the former, check that your choke is opening fully after the saw is started. Make sure there is nothing interfering with the choke lever.

If it won't idle you could have an air leak. Start the saw and hold it in different positions. If the saw speeds up or slows down you have an air leak.

Ethanol is a #####. Check your fuel lines and make sure they aren't cracked. Lines that are older than 5 years are more susceptible to ethanol corrosion than newer ones. A new line and filter would be a good place to start, especially if it has never been changed. That StarTron is simply smoke and mirrors. It does nothing to remove the ethanol, just prevents the separation of the ethanol from the gas.

Good luck. We are here to help if you need it.

Ethanol will cause poor running, but a high idle is probably an air leak. Most likely place on this saw is the gromet where the impulse tube goes into the partition wall. Part number is 505-310751. Get a couple of cold ones out and have some patience. :msp_biggrin:

Back