Jonsered 2055 ... pro or low-end market?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cotemart

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi there, a few years ago we bought a jonsered 2055 that was sold as a pro saw (good for spruce, light, will last a long time) so we put the price on it, which was pretty high if I remember well.

Unfortunately, it ran with bad old gas and we gripped the piston. After getting it apart, we realised the skirt was broken and so was the cylinder. But what amazed me is the construction, only one ring and it seems to be build like the saws we could get in a Sears, Walmart or Canadian-Tire (people from here know about that one :eek:)

So my question is, is it suppose to be a better saw than that or we just got bad advices from the seller at the time? Wright now, I'm relying on my old Partner S55 (Heavy but still good) and a Homelite wich is surprising for a plastic toy looking tool...

I can't speak for the Jons as I've never owned one, but I have a Husky 50 Rancher, they only have one ring. I don't think it is a deficiency. Jonsered are the same stable as Husqvarna and seem to have a good rep on this site.

Your seller was right,2055 is effectively a pro saw,and a good one.Too bad you seized it.A big percentage of pro saw now runs only one ring to reduce friction .She compared easily with Husky 254 when they introduced them.Try to find a used cyl/piston to rebuild it,youll have a good saw.A new cyl/piston is roughly 225-250.00 .

Thanks, good to have different point of view :eek:)

Do you know if the saw share the casing with the 2054 or other models so I can look for used spare parts from there too?

I had a 2055 and I thought it was a good saw. The design of the motor bolting into the plastic tank assy seemed a little chintzy at first, but it held up OK. I will say I like the new generation saws better with the magnesium crankcase/oil tank setup, but it is a Husqvarna design.

2054 was a slightly lower-performance version of 2055...probably a little smoother torque curve, better mid-range grunt for the weekend warrior. Top end from 2055 should interchange with 2054, but remember that 2054 has a bit less peak power. If the rest of the saw is good, it would be worth repairing, even if you have to pay full retail for a new jug and piston. A new Husky 353 or Jonsered 2152 will slightly underperform the 2055 but cost close to $400 US depending on the dealer.

If I were to buy a new saw just for small-med softwoods like spruce and balsam, I'd probably choose either the 260 Stihl or 346Xp Husky. Lots of people are bragging up the new Dolmar 5100, but it also sounds like availability is a little spotty.

eyolf said:
........ 2054 was a slightly lower-performance version of 2055...probably a little smoother torque curve, better mid-range grunt for the weekend warrior. .......
Just be aware that there later was a seriously downrated version of the 2054 on the market - make sure that you don't use any engine parts from that one!

One piston ring (Husq-Jons-Dolm) lower friction and copression versus two rings (Stihl-big Echos and OleoMacs) :dizzy:

Thanks again. I'll look around for a cylinder.

I remember the first time we tried it, it was very fast (I mean really!) But after a while, we were unable to make it work properly. I first tough about snow in the carb, but I think it was more about a leak in the carter... And after it, came the bad old gaz... Hard way to learn, but I'll sure remember it :)

Latest posts

Back