Jonsered 2260 Hot Bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, you may not want to hear it, but your chain is dull. It may have started off sharp, but it is unquestionably dull now.

I don’t know if you’re hitting stuff or running it into the dirt, but your chain is dull.

Possible a combination of all the things we've mentioned. Bar alignment and a Dull chain and forcing the cut. Chain should produce nice size chips or noddles, should have some oil sling off the tip of the bar if revved a few times. Lack of oil and a dull chain don't make papa happy.

Steve

Good evening Guys, Sorry had meetings this evening... Anyone that said the chain is smoked... 100% correct! It is totaly smoked/dull/not sharp/if used on a person the DA would say "that person was killed by blunt force trauma"! :) The issue is that I made one cut with what just prior to that was a nice almost new sharp chain. I am no way in hell a chainsaw expert but I work in the wood fiber industry and have used saws my whole life. Again, plenty yet to learn as always. The wood I cut into was a chestnut tree (Chinese-American Hybrid to be exact) that was planted by me in 2001. No metal and after this saw stopped cutting or more like started smoking I cut right through with my 2139T without issue. This same thing (chain looked like it was toasted but bar did not get as hot) happened with the 2260 a few weeks ago when I was cutting a silver maple again 2139T went right through it. The holes lining up may be a thing because in the case of the silver maple I replaced the toasted chain with a new one and it cut like crazy. Today after reading some of your responces I took the bar off again checked everything suggested again (oil, clear holes, clear bar track, ECT) and put back together with same dull chain. Started saw up and was able to get a light sheen of oil to be thrown off the chain as it went around at a high RPM.

Could have been a rock, which would explain why after the 2260 took out the rock the 2139T went right through. Does not answer what happened on the silver maple though unless it struck twice.

Just be really careful about touching the ground. I told my Brother In Law to quit sticking his saw in the ground. I guess he took me literally, like he was sticking the tip in the ground and pushing it to the handle bar. The last time I was over his house, he had cut up a log, but hadn't moved the pieces. He said it was another no good chain. I went over to take a look, right in line with every cut was a little slit in the sod. I said it again, stop sticking your saw in the ground. He yelled I'm not sticking my saw in the ground! I showed him all of the little slits. Then he said, Oh, that little bit doesn't hurt. Yes it does.

Thank you guys for posting. After going back over everything I feel it could be a combination of almost all of the above. Hit a stone or dirt, dull chain, you name it. However one thing I will keep coming back too is the fact that when revving the saw and pointing the bar at the sidewalk, I get very little oil off the chain spinning around.

Thanks again,
Glenn

Sidewalk..hmmmm.
Just be really careful about touching the ground. I told my Brother In Law to quit sticking his saw in the ground. I guess he took me literally, like he was sticking the tip in the ground and pushing it to the handle bar. The last time I was over his house, he had cut up a log, but hadn't moved the pieces. He said it was another no good chain. I went over to take a look, right in line with every cut was a little slit in the sod. I said it again, stop sticking your saw in the ground. He yelled I'm not sticking my saw in the ground! I showed him all of the little slits. Then he said, Oh, that little bit doesn't hurt. Yes it does.

I couldn’t “like” that 10 times, so I helped repeat it.

The times I've seen bars and chains like that is when someone is cutting with a dull chain and really LEANING ON THE SAW to get it to bite.

Even if the oiler is functioning properly, the friction of the chain mostly rubbing (not cutting) the wood can cause the chain to get very hot (the wood gets hot, too, and sometimes even to the point of smoking). The additional friction between the chain and bar as a result of leaning on the saw gets things even hotter.

Just run the saw without the bar and chain and cover installed. If it gushes oil the turn off the saw and adjust the oiler as far in the opposite direction as possible and check for a different output. Return the oiler to full on if it is controlled by adjustment screw.

If the oiler is working, install the bar only, use washers under the bar nuts to hold the bar firmly in place and check that a similar amount of oil is being pushed in between bar rails as was being pumped without the bar. Adjust the bar from front to back to make sure it is not creating interference as it is adjusted, stop saw while adjusting.

If it all checks out, replace all parts and use saws.

I see people trying to cut with a dull chain start a hand sawing motion while the saw is running trying to make it cut faster. Lol

Well I am glad I can honestly say that is not something that I have done. But try and cut with a dull chain, clearly I did try that...

Latest posts

Back