Jonsered 525

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laneparsons

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey everyone...I just aquired a Jonsered 525...any information?
engine displacement, horse power, mix ratio, anything?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Lane

:)

Lane, I personally don't know much about the Jonsered 525 but I know a couple of people who should be able to tell you everything you want to know about your saw. Call or e-mail Lindle at Chain Saw World located in Bowling Green, Kentucky (270) 843-3594 ; e-mail [email protected]. Lindle has been in sales and service of virtually every chain saw you can imagine for over 25 years. Also, Rod at Simonian's Saw Service located in Three Rivers, California (e-mail [email protected] and web site www.theworks.com) is a Jonsered dealership and has been in bussiness since 1971.

As far as your oil mix ratio, go with 32:1 using a high quality oil. Ken "the HotSaw" Dunn recommends Maxima 927 racing castor which I also feel is a very good oil. I personally run Red Line 2 Stroke racing oil which is 100% synthetic and is recommend by many top notch 2 stroke motorcycle, snowmobile, and shifter kart racing tuners. Other oils which I feel are also very good are Motul 800 2T and Mobil 1 MX2T which are also both 100% synthetic. Don't believe any negative comments you may have heard people say about synthetic oils - it's not true. The main purpose of an oil is to lubricate the bearings, provide scuff protection to the piston and cylinder, and provide better ring seal. A good, high quality synthetic, like those I have mentioned, will burn cleaner, leave significantly less deposits, provide better lubrication to the bearings (especially in extreme high heat conditions) and a higher degree of scuff protection for the piston and cylinder than any other oil currently available (racing castor, like the Maxima 927 also provides very good lubrication / protection but I have found it to burn a little 'dirty' - i.e. more carbon deposits - although Ken Dunn claims it burns clean in the saws that he tunes). The Red Line oil I have to purchase directly from Red Line Oil phone # (800) 624-7958 and web site www.RedLineOil.com. The Maxima and Motul you should be able to find at a motorcycle shop that cater to off-road 2 stroke dirt bikes and ATV's. The Mobil 1 can be found at many auto parts stores like Murrays's and Auto Zone.

To obtain a consistent gas/oil ratio I highly recommend the use of what's called a 'Ratio Rite'. A Ratio Rite is simply a measuring cup which has graduations for each different gas/oil ratio from 16:1 all the way to 70:1. There is a different graduation scale for 1.0, 1.5, 2.0, and 2.5 gallons of gas. So if you want to mix at 32:1 and you have 1.0 gallon of gas, just fill the Ratio Rite measuring cup with oil up to the 32:1 line under the 1.0 gallon scale. I've had my Ratio Rite for about 20 years and it sure takes the guesswork out of getting a consistant fuel/oil ratio for all of my two stroke motors (racing motorcycles, Lawn Boy lawn mower, blowers, line trimmers and chain saws). You can purchase a Ratio Rite at an off-road motorcycle shop and they cost about $6.

I see everyone is very concerned about the type of oil that they use and the ratio that they mix it at, but I don't hear anyone talking about air filter maintenance (cleaning and replacement). Air filter maintenance is at least as important as the fuel / oil ratio and oil type in regards to engine life. A little bit of dirt ingested into the engine will act a 'lapping compound' and quickly wear out your crank bearings, piston, cylinder etc. I really like the multiple stage filtering systems like Stihl uses in their larger saws and Honda uses in their Lawn mowers (foam pre-filter and pleated secondary filter on the Honda). Hope all of this helps.

Motorhead...

Thanks for the advice...I never thought about using synthetic oil in my saws...well im not a pro user or anything anyway...but i like to take care of my stuff....

I will contact those guys you told me about...

thanks again...

Lane

:)

A few yrs. back we went for the synthetic mix. saws ran fine but we did start replacing crankcase seals rapidly. went back to the stihl mix without problems

Sonny, if I was a Stihl dealer, I would push and hype Stihl oil too since it adds to the bottom line. However, I don't think Bruce Kalhammer from PSI Performance (THE 'premiere' snowmobile perfomance shop in the USA) and Tom Morgan who runs Tom Morgan Racing (THE 'premiere' motocross performace shop in the USA) would use and endorse Red Line oil if it 'ate' crank seals. Check out their web sites: PSI is www.psiperformance.com and Tom Morgan is at www.tommorganracing.com for detailed information.

These guys are two of the best 2 stroke tuners / engineers / designers in the world. PSI designs and builds complete high performance 2 stroke snowmobile motors - their genesis 995cc VEP 2 cylinder 2 stroke motor dynos at 215 horsepower. They have designed and patented their own carburetor, reed valve cage, variable exhaust port system, and 'dial-a-dome cylinder heads (a twist of an adjustment bolt changes the compression ratio and squish band clearance without removing the head from the motor). They also manufacture their own cylinders, crankcases, crankshafts, and tuned exhaust systems. Bruce Kalhammer calls Red Line 2 stroke racing oil 'the premiere 2 cycle oil on the market - it's a little more expensive, but you get what you pay for - it's the only oil I recommend you run in our highly tuned Genesis motors'. Tom Morgan is equally impressive. He has tuned / wrenched for 7 American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) professional motocross championship winning riders and one professional Jet Ski national title (Jeff Ward, Mike LaRocco, and Jeff Jacobs if those names mean anything to you). He has designed and had input on several of Kawasaki's 2 stroke motocross and jet ski motors. He has also done extensive dyno testing showing improved horsepower output (3-5%) using Red Line oil versus other competitive brands. He also verifies significantly reduced piston, ring, and bearing wear using Red Line oil. Tom Morgan has modified my own Honda CR250 motor and increased output from about 42 hp stock to over 50 hp over a wide and easy to use power band range. In highly tuned motors like Tom Morgan and Bruce Kalhammer produce, you use the best lubricant available (their engines and engine modifications are not cheap). I think it should also work pretty well in a chainsaw motor.

Then why is it that everything I have seen says do not mix oil for liquid cooled two strokes (sleds and bikes & outboards) with air cooled two strokes (saws and trimmers). I am sure the synthetic is a good oil, I use it in my sled, but I will stick with Husky oil. They have everything to gain by producing a good oil, and nothing to lose. Also I like having the Fuel stabilizer already in the oil because I do not use my saw every day.:(

Latest posts

Back