Jonsered 670 parts bin build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cambl

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Needing a project this winter, I decided to go through all the Johnny 630/670 parts and put together a parts-bin special to set up for a 28" Alaskan sawmill.

Some of you split crankcases every day, but others may want to see what it takes and how (relatively) easy it is to take a mag case saw completely down and build it back up again.

I picked up a new style 670 case with crank from a shop in MN. The bearings seemed a little rough, so at this point it would be cheap and easy to put in new bearings and seals.

attachment.php

Using the Husky case splitter- the bearings usually stay in the case.

attachment.php

Case and crank apart, all cleaned up.

attachment.php

If a bearing decides to stay in the crank, use a small puller to remove it

attachment.php

Use a heat gun to warm up the case before you tap the bearings out

When the cases are apart it doesn't take much time to clean them up in a parts washer, then prep, prime, amd paint.

attachment.php

Cases masked and painted

attachment.php

Tank, muffer, and clutch cover that I got from an AS member in trade- all were pretty rough and headed for the scrap bin, but they cleaned up pretty well. The muffler had to be cut apart to knock out all the dents, then brazed back together.

The case halves need to dry for a couple of days, so more to come when the crank is ready to go back in.

Great looking saw! I am working on building one myself but i am held up looking for intake boot and clamp. You would not by chance know where i could get these items would you?

Boot # 503611301 and clamp #503591601 are still available through your friendly local Husky dealer.

Boot # 503611301 and clamp #503591601 are still available through your friendly local Husky dealer.

I actually tried that and they said no longer available. Anybody on here have them or willing to get them?

I did the same thing on my 670 not long ago, it had ingested a ton of crap cause the filter was bad. Since i had the tool, i changed out the bearings and rebuilt the whole saw. :)
I ended up converting it to 266xp internal impulse since I like that design better, modifying the original 670 carb to retain the nice fast idle functionality. Saw runs excellent.

Cambl, nice work on the 670 :msp_thumbup:, am looking forward to seeing the finished saw!

I have got to get off my azz, I bought a JRed closed down shop and I think I have enough NOS parts to build 2 or 3 of these.

I know the feeling, I've managed to hoard quite a few 625, 630, & 670 parts/parts saws. The worst part is my running 670 has sat unsued for quite a while :msp_blushing:.

Time to re-assemble. Several ways to do this, but this is my method ...

attachment.php

The left side case has a shoulder for the bearing to bottom out on

attachment.php

Cool the crank, warm the bearing, and slide the bearing on the left side of the crank

attachment.php

For the right side I heat the case (heat gun, not torch) and tap the bearing into place flush with the inside of the case

attachment.php

Cool the crank again, heat the left case, and if everything is right the crank with bearing will just pop in with no effort. If the case is not hot enough, you start over. This one slid right in!

Final assembly

attachment.php

Gasket in place with a very light coat of glue to keep it in place

attachment.php

Line up the halves, start the 4 center bolts, and then use the Husky/Jonsered tool to pull the crank into the right side. The tool shoulders up against the bearing so that there is no stress on the bearing and no heat is needed. Just turn the nut and pull the cases together.

attachment.php

Done. Tighten the bolts. No hammers or swear words, and the crank spins free. Ready for the seals, oil pump, and top end.

cambl - do you put any kind of gasket sealer on the exposed surface of the gasket before you bring the halves together?

Very nicely illustrated and I appreciate you taking the time to explain in detail your assembly steps.

I used a very light coat of sealer on the right case half, but you could also put it on the gasket. If the case surfaces are nice and clean- no nicks- you should not have to use any sealer. Also used the OEM Husky gasket ($3) instead of a thin aftermarket one.

When the cases are apart it doesn't take much time to clean them up in a parts washer, then prep, prime, amd paint.

attachment.php

Cases masked and painted

Great thread!! The 600 series is my favorite go-to saw. My wife thinks I have to many (10) of them, but I seem to be unable to resist them.
Got a question for the experts here.
I've got a bunch of old Johnie's (older than the 600's) that since I'm now retired I'm planning on restoring to keep busy. I'm stumped on what is the proper paint to use and what is the color code for the paint? Can anyone help me with that???

Greg

Latest posts

Back