Jonsered 670 parts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the ended auctions

was for a running & complete 670 minus b/c, along with a fairly stripped down parts saw; went for $81.50 + $40.00 shipping. I barely missed the end of that one.:cry:

Chris J.

i guess what i need most for my 670 is a clutch cover. whats the difference between a regular 670 and a champ?

There's a thread here that discusses

the 670/670 Champ. As I recall Champ might've been added as a marketing strategy. I did find something interesting--Mike Acres site shows the 670 hp as 3.3 kW, & 3.7 kW for the Super & West Coast. Chris J.

When I emailed tilton they told me stock ouotput on a 670 champ model is 4.9hp.
After muffler mods I would think its somewhere around 5.2-5.4 hp.

Hopefully will have some good news

later in the week. Problem is the nearly complete 670 on eBay seems to be drawing a lot of bids with plenty of time left. I usually avoid mentioning eBay auctions that I'm seriously considering (why invite extra competition?), but the link has already been posted in this thread.

DF & Wedge: If by some miracle I get it, I'll check for your parts.

OSA: Thanks for the info. Mentioning mods, the "squashed" K&N air filter that came on the saw is in better shape than I thought, but I'm still wanting the regular filter & cover.

Y'all be careful. Chris J.

Parts saw arrived; not in good shape.

Air filter has a small few tears-might be ok to tape it just to test the main saw. I'm dealing with George/Motorsag to get the correct filter. I do now have my AF cover. No chain catcher (there's enough left of the one on the main saw to figure out a way improvise one-would still prefer factory part). Low compression-anyone with a spare Jred or Husky J&P that would work?

Wedge & DadF--I'll post or PM more info once I get further into the saw.

Must mention this--I called my one & only local Jred dealer. The person I spoke with had little knowledge of chainsaws, & less knowledge of Jreds. He told me that they're all made by Husqvarna, & that's how he looked up the parts. Anyone know if putting Jred parts #s, from the Jred PL, into a Husky database will work?

Thanks to all for your help & in-put. Chris J.

I have a 272 husky that has a little taller cover and you can run a 288 filter on it and it is all stock husky parts take a look at husky dealers near you maybe it will work for you

I'll check regarding parts crossover;

I know that there's a thread or two here at AS. The biggest problem with the 670 J&P is the $$$. I've seen them new on the net for about $280.00, & a new one was on eBay about a month?? ago starting at $219.00 (no bidders).

Is it adviseable to replace rings only? Or will it depend on the condition of the J&P?

A big thanks to Jacob J & macman for the suggestions.

Chris J.

Re: I'll check regarding parts crossover;

Originally posted by Knot Whole
[BIs it adviseable to replace rings only? Or will it depend on the condition of the J&P?
Chris J. [/B]

Yes it will depend upon the condition of the other parts but the good news is that on Husky/Jonseys, rings are all that are required over 90% of the time!:)

Was able to pull some of the parts

that I need off of the parts saw.

DadF: The parts saw, 670 Champ, uses the screw vent, my West Coast has the exposed? copper? wires. My parts list gives 501 62 96-01 as the parts #; the drawing looks like the one on my saw. Let me know if you can't find the screw.

Wedge: The PS didn't come with the clutch/bar cover. The muffler I'm going keep j-i-c I decide to experiment with drilling a few wholes (which will require a running saw!!). It does have one felling dog.

Stumper: Thanks for the response.

First thing I did with the PS was hold the starter handle & let the saw go. Sure enough the weight was enough to at least partially unwind the starter--low compression, right? Also once I had the covers off I could easily turn the flywheel by hand. Once I got the saw fairly well stripped down I decided to remove the jug to get a better look at it & the piston. The jug & piston both look OK (keep in mind who's saying this) with no obvious scoring or damage. The ring is loose & has plenty of play in it. Any advice on what to check look for?

Thanks to all for your help. Chris J.

kw the super and the champ have the same jug. The plain 670 did not have as good a jug on it. Different ports. I suspect the west coast all so uses the same jug as the champ and the super. The champ held some type of records for 2 or 3 years in a row back in the early 90s. I bought mine new and it still runs like a bat out of hell today.

Thanks, Eric.

All this talk about how good this saw is has me ancy to get it going, but I'm taking it slow & deliberate. And I'm still finding things missing from, & wrong with, my 670 WC. I just tell myself that I need the experience. Got a little more work done tonight, but ran into a problem called wife.

Chris J.

Coming along slowly.

DadF: The vent screw & tube went out in today's mail. I notice that the saw you mentioned has gone up considerably.

I got the correct air filter from George Blake/Motorsag. George--If you read this...the other filter went out in today's mail.

Found another part missing, not on either saw: The screwdriver guide? for the carb adjusting screws, part # 503 17 98-01. I might be able to rig the one from my spare 025 carb. If anybody has one I'd much prefer the proper one, same as the chaincatcher.

Thank you to all who help. Chris J.

That's a drawback to eBayware.

Really aggressive bidders can push prices thru the roof. Recently I've been mentally slapping myself on the wrist & saying no, no, no. I decided that my wife is right-get the saws you have running & quit buying crap saws.

But now I'm going to take up guitar after 27 years of not playing. My hobbies are now saws & axes :rolleyes: :D . Yes, that was a bad one.

Chris J.

It's running!

Can you believe it? Don't answer that:p .

Still needing the chain catcher & the piece/guide for the adjusting screws. If anyone has a spare that they're willing to part with please let me know.

I also don't think that I'll need the K&N filter (it's useable) & adapter. Saw runs strong enough for me, although I might tinker with the spare muffler. Willing to sell or horse trade. If enough (any?) interest I'll start a new thread & post a photo.

Thanks to all who took the time to respond.

Chris J.

Latest posts

Back